Needs3Pedals

Needs3Pedals

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘06 Accord V6 6MT; ‘17 Frontier Pro4X 6MT; ‘24 ITS
I know the dia is ok, but if I can get a smaller tread width, when it is flat in well it wouldn't be as tall.

Could you check tire width from kit?
I posted the link to the kit I bought and posted pictures of it that show the tire size In this thread.

Here it is again for simplicity: https://modernspare.com/product/2015-2023-honda-civic-type-r-spare-tire-kit-options/

Even with that kit filling my trunk I was able to get the giant back to school grocery haul in there.
IMG_3224.jpeg
Sponsored

Airbag

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S/Apex Blue Pearl/Orchid
Do you know if the modern spare you purchased will clear the front brake calipers on the ITS? Or will you have to do a switcheroo if you get a flat in front and put the rear tire in front and the spare on the rear?

Nickp15

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
I know the dia is ok, but if I can get a smaller tread width, when it is flat in well it wouldn't be as tall.

Could you check tire width from kit?
This is the SI spare tire I did my test with (5.75" width).

20230812_134000.jpg

OP
OP
Needs3Pedals

Needs3Pedals

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you know if the modern spare you purchased will clear the front brake calipers on the ITS? Or will you have to do a switcheroo if you get a flat in front and put the rear tire in front and the spare on the rear?
It will clear but I don’t know how concerned I should be about it being 0.36” smaller in diameter re: the differential.

Sponsored

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
With the LSD, you shouldn't have any difference between both front tires.

OP
OP
Needs3Pedals

Needs3Pedals

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With the LSD, you shouldn't have any difference between both front tires.
I know and I probably wouldn’t try but Modern Spare claims it’s fine. Well they also said I needed the bolt pattern of the regular Integra…

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!

Wonder if something like this would fit.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, here is the Acura RL spare tire. It fits in the rear, no problem. Wheel diameter is the same as the stock wheels.

When in the trunk, it doesn't sit flush as there is a bump in the trunk pan. Will have to put something underneath both front and rear to support the spare wheel from under.

Tried to put the wheel upside down in the trunk, but then it sits metal on metal, so it will scratch the wheel and the trunk. Plus probably make noise with road bumps...

When the tray is down, it doesn't sit flush anymore. It is raised maybe 1-2" near the tailgate.

For now, put the OE compressor, funnel, OE jack (from an old car) and a ratchet with a 22 mm socket in the little net at the left of the trunk. Will probably put all that under the tray when I stabilize the spare wheel.

I will try to figure out something to secure the wheel in place. In case of a crash, the wheel could move all over the place right now... Might try to grab an OE mounting point from another car and weld it in place.

Finally, will try to level the tray with foam blocks.

At the end, I'm quite happy! For 200$, I have:
- A spare tire;
- Trunk is empty (with the spare directly in the trunk, it was taking a lot of room!).

EDIT: Added pictures of the tray...
EDIT2: Added a picture of what I will use to secure the spare in the trunk. Will weld the bracket to the trunk pan and be done with it.

EDIT3: You'll also need 5 Acura RL lug nuts. See post #55.

IMG_2163.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

IMG_2165.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg

366796966_681106524058611_4399429751348732726_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AUDI S4, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
Does this wheel clear the front calipers?? What tire size are you using? Thx.

Sponsored

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
Folks worried about tire size mismatch or clearing front brakes couldn't you jack up one side of the car and swap rear wheel to the front and put spare on the back? Yes it's more hassle but doubt this would be a regular occurrence for most owners unless I'm missing something here.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does this wheel clear the front calipers?? What tire size are you using? Thx.
Won't clear front calipers. You have to put the spare in the rear.

To clear front calipers, you at least need a 18" wheel. This is a 17" RL spare.

Tire is regular RL spare tire size: 155/70-17

If you have a flat on the front, you put a rear wheel to the front, than put the spare on the rear. Sill better than not having a spare...

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
Man it sure fills the trunk up but I should be able to get groceries around it.
IMG_2840.jpeg
IMG_2838.jpeg
Curious, did you try to place the wheel/tire underneath the trunk floor like have others have tried to see how much it raises the trunk floor?

For my BMW 2 series, I did the same and kept a Bimmerzone emergency spare in a tire tote on top, but it really does cut into space, although that was my only option as that car does not have any under trunk space (battery is in the rear compartment), but i have been able to manage. i would be ok with a slightly raised trunk floor (would need something to help shim/raise the platform so the floor liner doesn't rock/move) if it meant having less stuff in the back. i've fortunately never had to use the spare, but i like knowing it's there as i can change the tire myself in a pinch if needed vs being stranded on the side of a road.

thanks

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
I will take my chances.
After over a decade, I don't recall needing a spare tire.
<Knocking on wood as I type>

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AUDI S4, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
I will take my chances.
After over a decade, I don't recall needing a spare tire.
<Knocking on wood as I type>
It only takes one tire puncture (side wall) to make the car undriveable. Attempting to limb to a service location will undoubtedly cause rim damage in the process. So a damaged tire leads to either a wheel replacement or a tow....far more expensive than a kit.

I frequently drIve on backroads and in the mtns, there is no easy way to have an undriveable tire replaced in these areas.....spare is my insurance policy, IMO.
Sponsored