• Total voters

ITS_A_Teggy

First Name
Ahmet
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra Type S
I purchased the extended warranty for $2,900- including taxes with the option to return for a prorated amount.

Do you think it's necessary on these cars long term?

I do like modifying cars but prefer OEM+, I do plan to use the car for a while but do tend to time to time switch it up if the car doesn't fit my needs (MK5 supra was too small and uncomfortable to daily drive)

I use this as a daily and love to have fun from time to time especially on the weekends with the boys. Thoughts on keeping the warranty or just getting my $$ back. From what I've read from common issues on the FL5, coolant tank cracking, cooling issues when pushing the car hard and rev hang.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

P.S

Love the ITS, perfect mix between sports car and daily usability = PURE JOY

20231010_160737.jpg
Sponsored

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AUDI S4, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
Extended warranty?

Personal experience I have had an extended warranty on an Audi S4, Porsche 911 Turbo, and a Ford Focus RS over the past 7 yrs. How many times have I needed one.....zero!

It's true the industry is building better cars and the role of an extended warranty has bought me piece of mind, but little else.

The reason that most people buy them is the fear of a costly breakdown. On a high end car with expensive parts and labor costs (Porsche, Ferrari, even speciality BMW or Audi, etc) that fear has some validity if it ever did happen.....but on most well built cars under $60k the likelihood of a catastrophic failure or a very expensive engine/transmission repair is very unlikely (street use only). I would Honda, Lexus, Toyota, Acura in that category.

I bought a warranty on my Ford Focus RS bc it had a unique AWD system and a relatively new Eco-boost 4 cyl pushing 350hp and torque. Ford also sold an 8 yr/60k mi warranty for $800.....so a very cheap " insurance just in case.....never used it, and transferred the last 2 yrs to the new buyer (saving $200).

The 911 Turbo was my first Porsche ( 2007 997.1tt with 11k mi, 6 spd) and I'd heard all of the horror stories about what could happen and the related $$$. I drove the car for 2 yrs, never a warranty claim...but still cost $1800 for that time period...peace of mind I guess.

Still own a 2015 Audi S4, and the extended warranty expired in April 2022......never a warranty claim...zero!

So my experience with them has been an abject failure. Out of pocket warranty expenses was $4300 with zero return on investment.

In my opinion a super expensive car still carries a warranty repair cost anxiety, but on a Japanese brand with price around $50k that is nilot beaten rentlessly or tracked, a warranty costing near $3k will probably have a loW ROI.

I'm buying mine bc it drives like a sports car but cost a fraction of what they do. The maintainence and operating costs are minimal ( mostly tire replacements not covered by warranty). I will pocket the $$ saved or add some options/ upgrades to personalize the car.

I've proven to myself that extended warranties statistically benefit the issuer not the owner. But I do understand the "out of pocket" expense anxiety.

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
Paying extra for an extended warranty on a new car makes no sense. You're not guaranteed to be keeping the car past the standard warranty. Even if you claim to keep cars 'forever' life happens and circumstances change. Plus if you change your mind just wait around until you get that phone call "we've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty!"

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
IMHO, an extended warranty on a Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus is like giving your money to a Nigerian prince.

Basically if you got really unlucky and got a lemon, it should creep up in the standard warranty period and any mass problem with the car, Honda has a record of extending the warranty for free to make it right. They did that with the paint on my Civic.

Like Lflouis alludes to, the ROI is probably very low. Think of it, what would fail before 100k miles that would cost much more that $3k to repair? That and the dealers usually do everything under the sun to dismiss it anyway.

But at the end of the day it's your money and your risk to take.

RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 FK8 -> 2023 GR Corolla -> 2024 Integra Type S
According to consumer advocates extended warranties are not worth the price.

From creditkarma:

55% of respondents who bought an extended warranty didn’t use it and only a quarter of survey participants said they’d buy one again. And the cost for repairs among respondents who used their warranty was typically less than the cost of the warranty. Instead of purchasing an extended warranty, it may make more sense to set aside the money you’d spend on it — and use the funds instead for needed repairs.

Take your $2900 and invest it in something safe and instantly cashable without penalty. Use it if you ever need to cover repairs. When you get rid of the car, you still have your investment.

We have not bought extended warranty on anything in the last 15 years and have never missed it.

Sponsored

Padre Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra A-Spec, Tech. MT
I normally don’t but they offered 5yr/100,000 for $1800 so I bit. First year car and all….likely just an insurance policy I won’t need.

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2014 FJ Cruiser 2024 4Runner
I purchased acura care 7y\70k for $900 , remember you can negotiate the price of the VSC.
IMG_0087.jpeg

nawfoo

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
I have Mechanical Breakdown Insurance from Progressive. About $50 a year.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
I purchased the extended warranty for $2,900- including taxes with the option to return for a prorated amount.

Do you think it's necessary on these cars long term?

I do like modifying cars but prefer OEM+, I do plan to use the car for a while but do tend to time to time switch it up if the car doesn't fit my needs (MK5 supra was too small and uncomfortable to daily drive)

I use this as a daily and love to have fun from time to time especially on the weekends with the boys. Thoughts on keeping the warranty or just getting my $$ back. From what I've read from common issues on the FL5, coolant tank cracking, cooling issues when pushing the car hard and rev hang.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

P.S

Love the ITS, perfect mix between sports car and daily usability = PURE JOY

20231010_160737.jpg
Personly, I want the ITS for several reSons but one of them being reliability.
I don't think a 100k warranty is necessary or worth it when you buy a new Honda or Acura or Toyota or Lexus.
Any other car brand, yeah it is a good idea, and you never know maybe it will be good for you, but to me, I don't think I need that for peace of mind at all.

Sponsored

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2014 FJ Cruiser 2024 4Runner
Personly, I want the ITS for several reSons but one of them being reliability.
I don't think a 100k warranty is necessary or worth it when you buy a new Honda or Acura or Toyota or Lexus.
Any other car brand, yeah it is a good idea, and you never know maybe it will be good for you, but to me, I don't think I need that for peace of mind at all.
Yeah, If I didn't get it so cheap I would have passed. Mechanically all the manufactures you stated are sound. For me the $900 is piece of mind for the digital dash, infotainment, speakers, etc......basically the stuff that is more likely to fail other than the drivetrain.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Coolant tank down... anyone else experienced this issue ?

20231107_212005.jpg
I haven’t…yet, but many have. OEM replacement under standard warranty or there’s some metal expansion tank options available.