Sponsored

Right Front Tire More Severely Worn than the others.

sunnyK816

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Integra 6MT
Hello All,

Back in April I purchased a 2023 Integra 6MT used at around 11k miles.

This morning I went in to the dealership for an oil change & tire rotation. Afterwards one of the techs informed me that my Right Front Tire's tread is severely worn. The Multi-Point Inspection Form rates my Right Front tire a 3 & "Requires Immediate Attention" where as the others scored 7-8 & "Checked & OK at this time".

I asked the tech what could've caused this and he said its aggressive acceleration. He also said because the "Right Front tire is the primary drive wheel, it will experience more wear". He goes on to say that those 2 factors combined are what caused the Right Front Tire to go bad. He was very confident in this conclusion.

His answer doesn't sit well with me. For one I don't drive that aggressively. Of course I do a couple pulls here and there (that's why I bought the 6mt), but 90% of the miles I've placed on this car are highway miles with the cruise set to 75mph. I drive so conservatively that the maintenance minder reported 20% oil life after 10k miles (changed oil at 21k miles) & I usually average around 33 mpg.

Secondly, I don't understand how the "Right Front tire is the primary drive wheel". That to me doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't both front wheels drive the car nominally at a 50-50 split? Obviously the Limited-Slip-Diff will mediate the power between the two wheels depending on traction but for the most part both front wheels should drive the car equally right?

In any case I checked the tread my self and the Right Front tire (now Right Rear after tire rotation) is much more worn than the others. I suspect I need an alignment as I do recall hitting a really-really nasty pothole a while back (so much so that the rim is pretty scuffed).

If anyone can confirm if what the tech is saying is true or if they have any other explanations for the poor tread, I'd love to hear it.
Also, would it be ok if I replace just that tire with a tire that has similar tread to my others? Or should I get a new pair?

Thanks for reading. Any advice is much appreciated!

EDIT: Just want to include some additional information:

The tech checked the maintenance records from before the car was sold and confirmed that the tires were good when I purchased the vehicle.

Additionally the Right Front Tire's wear is uniform throughout the entire tire.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Underdog

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘24 ITS, ‘06 Legacy GT
Do you know how much tread all the tires had when you bought the car? Maybe it came with one tire already worn from someone launching or consistently scrubbing a tire while cornering hard. Just looking at how you describe your ownership of the car I’m inclined to agree with your assessment, but we don’t know how you received it.

The wear pattern would be the next best clue as to whether there is an alignment issue, a worn component (seems unlikely at this low mileage), or something else. It’s even possible the previous owner replaced a curbed wheel or popped tire with someone else’s higher mileage take-off.

OP
OP

sunnyK816

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Integra 6MT
@Underdog the tech told me that he looked at the maintenance records before the vehicle was sold and confirmed with me that the tires were all good.

Also it seems like the tire has worn evenly.
Sponsored