Hi everyone! 2024 PWP

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
The dealership had never sold it previously but they did use it for test drives. They did an oil change when I picked it up and had it ceramic coated.

I'm assuming the techs and sales people had a little fun with it. One of them in finance was a big BMW fan but knew every little thing about the ITS and was talking my ears off in excitement when going through paperwork. 2 months in and I can see why he liked it so much!

I'm about to hit 2k miles so I figure I'll see if my local dealership will change it out at 5k then later at another 5k interval just to be safe.
My 2 cents, forget about the dealers "free service" they will only do it based on the cars oil life % anyway.
I decided to drop the oil right after break in, between 600 miles and 1500 miles and now I am at 4300 I am about to do my 2nd oil change at 5k.
I feel like doing it myself gives me satisfaction of getting it done when I want, I changed to Amsoil full synthetic 0W/20.
It gives me a chance to inspect the car, make sure everything looks right and the satisfaction of knowing I changed it well, got good oil in there and a new filter.
Oil is cheap, engines not so much, so for this car, I am committed to doing it every 5k after break in.
Dealers don't want you to change it until closer to 10k which to me is crazy.

Que the chaotic on YouTube bought a demo version that came out early on and had all the options on it to show customers, he had nothing but trouble with that car and I believe it was because they beat on it before breaking it in, and now he has leaks and stuff, actually he sold the car a few weeks ago because of all the trouble and he loved that car.
So, I would say do your own maintenance especially early on to make sure the car gets treated right and look carefully for any leaks.

I was going to buy one of those demo cars too, then I learned they had been test driven a lot, and so I decided to wait, and I bought a car with 4 miles on it to try to make sure it hadn't been abused before I got it.
So far, so good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Dealers don't want you to change it until closer to 10k which to me is crazy.
We've been through this, but for reciprocity's sake, modern engines and the oil that lubricates them are literally "built different" than they were decades ago when changing every 3k miles was a thing. I know some people get antsy about going so long between oil changes and anyone is entitled to change their oil as much as they want, but implying that it's "crazy" to follow factory-recommended procedures is a bit of a stretch.

PRDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
We've been through this, but for reciprocity's sake, modern engines and the oil that lubricates them are literally "built different" than they were decades ago when changing every 3k miles was a thing. I know some people get antsy about going so long between oil changes and anyone is entitled to change their oil as much as they want, but implying that it's "crazy" to follow factory-recommended procedures is a bit of a stretch.
Factory recommendations are intended to make the car last its warranty coverage period. The general consensus among mechanics that actually care about the car lasting a long time, it’s to change the oil every 5k miles and a minimum of once a year regardless of mileage.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Factory recommendations are intended to make the car last its warranty coverage period. The general consensus among mechanics that actually care about the car lasting a long time, it’s to change the oil every 5k miles and a minimum of once a year regardless of mileage.
First of all, I want to make it clear that I do get irritated at a few known things. Another way to describe this is a "pet peeve". I don't get irritated when people do things to their cars that I wouldn't necessarily do. But I DO get irritated when they try to push their "theories" on others and pass it off as gospel- especially without providing any shred of actual evidence for why.

When I get irritated, I make long posts. So consider yourself warned.

Rather than go back and forth, I'll lean on real data (i.e., science) and post an actual study done by experts. That's what influenced my initial take on it, was one done back in the early 2000s. Here's a significant one that's far more recent than that.

Also, If anyone is inclined to respond with a counterpoint all I ask is that you do the same and find some meaningful research and not throw out some random post on Reddit. That's the beauty of science; one study may uncover some details on a topic, but if there's something else I'm missing that's actually true, I don't care about being right as much as I care about learning what's actual fact. So please! I welcome anyone to prove me wrong. I would literally enjoy it.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content...-Synthetic-vs-Conventional_FINAL-EXTERNAL.pdf

It's a study so there's a lot of words. I've extracted a portion of the abstract to focus on the point of the study, and the key findings:

AAA Research Report said:
Research Questions:

1. Are there differences in performance between oils marketed as conventional versus oils marketed as synthetic? a. Quantitatively determined by analysis of multiple ASTM1 International (ASTM) standardized tests required for ILSAC GF-5 certification

2. What is the percentage of current model year vehicles that “require” synthetic engine oil?

3. What is the cost increase, if any, associated with switching to a synthetic oil?

4. What are current consumer trends regarding the use of synthetic engine oil?

Key Findings:

1. On average, synthetic oils outperformed conventional oils in the conducted tests by 47 percent. The selected tests evaluated shear stability, deposit formation, volatility, coldtemperature pumpability, oxidation resistance, and oxidation-induced rheological changes.

2. Very few vehicles specifically “require” synthetic oil; however, most vehicle manufacturers require compliance to an internal oil specification for warranty purposes.

3. The average price difference between a conventional and a synthetic oil change is $32 at a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility.

4. 44 percent of drivers are either not sure if synthetic motor oil is better for their engine, or do not believe synthetic motor oil is better for their engine.
TL;DR, synthetic oil is a lot better than the shit you put in your 87 Datsun. And this study doesn't even get into all the other advantages of modern engine manufacturing and engine control that keeps things to much tighter tolerances and higher efficiency, in pretty much every imaginable way- which equates to much longer oil maintenance intervals.

(I also would throw out why any manufacturer would actively encourage the concept of "just making a car last through the warranty period"- what possible benefit is there in that? Every time a car comes in for maintenance is an opportunity to sell a brake job, wiper blades, coolant flush, etc... if anything, BIG HONDA would want to make the intervals MORE frequent...)

Again. I'm not telling anyone how often they should change their oil. If you feel like changing it, it's a free country, you can do whatever you want.

I'm just here to tell you that you should stop preaching about how much more you "care" about your car because you change the oil unnecessarily.

If you track the car every other week, or your commute is less than 10 miles, then yeah you're probably going to want to change your oil more frequently. But for most people on this forum, just following the recommended guidelines in the owner's manual is fine. Don't overthink things and stop relying so much on pseudo-science and/or hearsay.

Last edited:

PRDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
WOW! I suggest you get some Vaseline for your irritation, you can keep changing your oil based on AAA research. I’ll change my oil whenever I feel like changing it, and we can still be forum friends 🍻!
Sponsored