E-Rod

Honda Fanatic
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 NSX, 2006 S2000, 2024 Integra Type-S
correct me if I’m wrong, these extended warranties are never worth it? There are so many things they don’t cover which are the items that normally break first. The items that are covered usually last much longer. On top of that there are so many ways people end up voiding warranties
I don't want to say *always* because it depends a lot on what it covers, how long it is, and how long you plan on keeping the car. Buying a 5yr warranty for a car you might get tired of in a couple years or so, or plan on keeping only temporarily as a "bridge" car isn't wise obviously.

Hondas are reliable, that much we all know and the factory Acura warranty is even more gracious. A friend of mine has a 10th gen civic with 150k miles and it's only needed the standard routine maintenance items. Everything works fine on it, including the electronics and ironically enough he bought the 5yr/100k warranty on it.

The issue is peace of mind and "what-ifs". Let's say you really like the car and keep it for 7 years. The car is paid off, maybe even relatively love mileage at 50k. Then your transmission starts acting up, or the HVAC system doesn't blow cold, or your head unit/HUD starts acting up. If it's a critical thing you're going to want it fixed, but a lot of those things aren't cheap. If you're faced with a $3k+ repair on a car that's 7 years old, do you consider getting rid of it for a car payment?

There's also the chance of a "known issue" that Honda releases a TSB for but won't fix without a fuss or your luck with the dealership. I remember with the 8th gen civic Si and the transmission issues that had service bulletins but many people were getting told "your VIN isn't in range, so you pay" despite having the third gear grind. With a warranty, they're paying regardless of your VIN if you have the issue.

Not having to worry about those things and keeping a car you love (and full paid for) can be a nice safety blanket.
Sponsored

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Type S , 2003 Evo, 2018 AMG E63s
I think those 3rd party dealership warranties are the ones to stay away from. But if your getting one through a Honda or acura program I don't think you have anything to worry about. I got the extended on mine but it only covered it for 7 yrs 70k miles

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Put the amount of the warranty in any high yield savings account and let it ride...jmho
Sponsored