Sponsored

There's "Notchy" and then there's "NOTCHY"!

NotAnAlltrack

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra A-Spec Tech 6sp
New owner of a '24 A-Spec Tech with manual. 1500 miles so far and I LOVE IT!.

How many of you have concerns about how hard it is to get into gear at certain points?

Reverse is always a problem. Once in a while it will slip right in; but most times I have to buy it a couple of drinks first.

I know now not to try to get it into first unless the car is at a complete stop. Seriously, a complete stop. If I'm barely rolling, it's second or nothing.

I appreciate the "gated" feel and the lack of slop but I'm concerned that even though I never force it, that something might give.

I've never owned a car that was not a manual so I've experienced the spectrum of gear boxes. This one is TIGHT.

Any thoughts?

M
Sponsored

JBTypeS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I’ve never had an issue with 1st gear, can put it in gear while the car is still moving. As far as reverse I agree it can be harder to engage at times. I just put it in third than reverse, slips right in every time.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I’ve never had an issue with 1st gear, can put it in gear while the car is still moving. As far as reverse I agree it can be harder to engage at times. I just put it in third than reverse, slips right in every time.
On my civic reverse sometimes just needed a double clutch. I would let go of the clutch then reengage and would work. Might have something to do with the fact that reverse gear is straight cut.

Sponsored

NOVABlueyITS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Acura MDX Tech
Had this notchy reverse issue on my GS-R, RSX Type S, and now on my ITS. Popping into 3rd first always fixed it for me. I tried lightly forcing it into reverse once and it popped out. Never again...

rody26

First Name
Rody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra Type S
Same issue with reverse on my ITS.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Same here with reverse sometimes being a struggle, sometimes a smooth click. I will also try the 3rd gear or double clutch first trick. As for the notchiness and durability, my last two cars were the manual Hyundai Veloster N and VW GTI, both had much softer "clickier" stick engagement. I find the ITS to be more satisfying overall and it seems like it loosened up after a 1,000 miles or so.

Breny

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra A-Spec Tech MT, 2022 Ford Ranger
No issues with getting in reverse that I've noticed. 1st, while moving, requires more force to put in gear but I usually put it in 2nd and all is good.

Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey
OP
OP
NotAnAlltrack

NotAnAlltrack

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra A-Spec Tech 6sp
JBTypeS:

Holey Crap! Thank you. The "3rd First" works like a charm! What's the mechanical reasoning behind this? Nothing is moving so it's not like the synchros have to align first?

Thanks Again!!!
Sponsored