Bleutooth vs WiFI

gsennett

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
I have hearing aids that connect through Bluetooth to my iPhone 14. In my 2021 Honda Passport, the audio transferred seamlessly to the car's audio. In the ITS, the audio does not transfer. Does anyone have suggestions for the settings to allow both to work without turning off the Bluetooth and using WiFI only? Yes I use Car Play and I don't understand why you can't use Bluetooth with Car Play. HELP! Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I have hearing aids that connect through Bluetooth to my iPhone 14. In my 2021 Honda Passport, the audio transferred seamlessly to the car's audio. In the ITS, the audio does not transfer. Does anyone have suggestions for the settings to allow both to work without turning off the Bluetooth and using WiFI only? Yes I use Car Play and I don't understand why you can't use Bluetooth with Car Play. HELP! Thanks in Advance!
This was legit one of my concerns as I'm looking to get bluetooth-enabled hearing aIds soon. Currently, I have a Phonak Com-pilot which has a convenient on/off switch so I don't need to dig into any settings or screens to turn it off before getting in the car.

I'm not sure this is a Wifi issue, but it is indeed an issue with the combination of iOS, the hearing aids, and possibly the car.

I tried a few different combinations with the car, hearing aids, and a few bluetooth speakers. These were my findings:

Com-pilot --> Car: Music stops
Com-pilot --> JBL Charge: music plays for a second and then stops
Com-pillot --> JBL Clip: music plays for a second and then stops
JBL Charge --> Car: Music plays seamlessly
JBL Clip --> Car: Music plays seamlessly
JBL Clip --> Com-pilot: music switches to Com-pilot seamlessly
Car --> Com-pilot: music keeps playing in CarPlay

I tried different settings (changing the device types) and it didn't help. It kind of seems like the hearing aids are fighting for control over the audio and are reluctant to give it up. And when they do give it up, they say "fine, you can have it, but I'm gonna make it inconvenient for you".

I think it's important to remember that hearing aids are an assistive listening device first and headphones second. Hopefully they'll fix this issue in the coming years as technology advances.

Just to clarify, are you saying the music just stops playing and you have to press the Play button in CarPlay, or is CarPlay not even loading up?

OP
OP

gsennett

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
It's not the music. The incoming/outgoing calls are recognized by the car, but the audio goes to the hearing aids. I guess the only resolution is to disable Bluetooth on the phone.

Last edited:

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
It's not the music. The incoming/outgoing calls are recognized by the car, but the audio goes to the hearing aids. I guess the only resolution is to disable Bluetooth.
Ah ok. I just tried again with a call and it switched over seamlessly. I played with my phone and car settings and wasn't able to get it to not work. I checked call audio routing in the phone's accessibility settings, as well as the wifi/bluetooth settings in the car's General Settings menu.

I have CarPlay enabled for the phone and Audio routing set to Automatic. I'd maybe start with the Accessibility settings - it's possible you may have it set to Bluetooth headset.

Also, my hearing aids don't show up here, but take a look in your phone settings under Accessibility > Hearing Devices. If your hearing aids show up, there should be a setting for automatically routing the audio to the hearing aids. See if disabling that helps. The only caveat would be if you receive a phone call outside the car, you'd either need to switch the audio source every time, or use the hearing aids instead of the phone screen to answer the call. I found this in the second section here: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-hearing-devices-iph470b1833/ios

OP
OP

gsennett

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
Thanks! I'll keep on playing with it.

Sponsored

Imperial

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Acura RL Tech; 2024 Integra ASpec Tech
I don't know if that will be the answer, at least check a setting in your car's infotainment to see if it is ON. When you have your phone connected to your car, from home screen tap on PHONE icon. Then on the right top there should be a settings button. You will then see multiple options, one of them is auto phone call transfer.
It's not the music. The incoming/outgoing calls are recognized by the car, but the audio goes to the hearing aids. I guess the only resolution is to disable Bluetooth on the phone.
iPhone probably doesn't do that, but on Android in Bluetooth menu, we have a gear icon besides the device(headphones, speaker, watch...), where you can indicate which services are available for the particular accessory. I could toggle off "calls" and that device won't be used to accept calls or toggle of music, then it won't be used to play music through. On iPhone, when you go to Bluetooth and tap "i", next to the name of the accessory, there is an option for device type. Have you tried selecting "Hearing Aid"?

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Yep. Like @Imperial mentioned I had to disable phone call audio from being automatically sent to my watch when switching Bluetooth devices. It was easy to correct on Android.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Thanks! I'll keep on playing with it.
I've been meaning to reply to this for a while now but kept forgetting. FWIW, I think this issue might come from a combination of your car and hearing aids. I recently got a new hearing aid (Phonak Naida Link Marvel) and the transition is seamless (although not every time - sometimes it just decides it doesn't want to switch). I tried both phone calls and music, and I'm using wireless CarPlay on my iPhone 12 Pro / Integra Type S. I didn't change any settings in my phone after getting the hearing aid.
Sponsored