Sponsored

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S and some others.
Henry Catchpole is one of my favorites. I think if the ITS is available in the UK, he might pick it over the CTR. A fun video.

Sponsored

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Henry Catchpole is one of my favorites. I think if the ITS is available in the UK, he might pick it over the CTR. A fun video.

Lol. Just saw this and started looking up Ariel atoms

thosport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type-S
Yeah definitely something that qualifies as being rooted in the "passion project" category- which is fine with me as long as I'm not footing the bill! I enjoy living vicariously through people doing interesting or even silly things with their cars. Like putting an LSx in a 993, or a 4 rotor in a C8.

7800+ rpm would be fantastic, but I feel like the amount of cost and engineering involved wouldn't quite justify the means. Plus- it's still turbocharged. I've always felt that turbo engines have a distinct character that doesn't offer the same "reward" of chasing the redline that NA cars do. I'd probably rather just build a K20A with ITBs as a project and drop it in something. A K20A Elise would be pretty amazing. I still have yet to watch the last few episodes of Super Street garage where they dedicated another episode to building one out...

But I'd still be super interested and I imagine it would garner quite a few views on YouTube if it was documented.

Have you seen the Tuning By Nick K24 Turbo 911 swap? Wish I had the garage space to do something like this with a K20C1.

Really enjoy your posts BTW.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lol. Just saw this and started looking up Ariel atoms
I think the Ariel Atom is pretty tough to beat for a pure, intense, and high performance driving experience. One can likely do it cheaper with https://exomotive.com/exocet/

The 4R sequential transmission is going to run quicker lap times but I am a manual enthusiast and would choose the manual version most of the time.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have you seen the Tuning By Nick K24 Turbo 911 swap? Wish I had the garage space to do something like this with a K20C1.

Thanks! I did and found it to be very impressive. I also watch the K24 Turbo Ferrari videos as well and am a big fan.

I wish manufacturers provide tools and specifications to enthusiasts to work with all the ECUs and the CAN bus. But I know that is wishful thinking. Being able to easily do seamless integration and tuning would make various build paths significantly more cost effective while preserving the OEM like functionalities.

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS

Henry is one of my absolute favorites too. He pretty much singlehandedly made my decision for me way back when I was in the market for my first P car and couldn't decide on a new 718 or a used 981. This video to this day gives me goosebumps hearing that exhaust note bouncing off the canyons in Mallorca and makes me want to kick myself for getting rid of my 981... worth a watch for anyone who likes cars (or Spain lol):

YES, I just watched a vid on this swap the other day! Although it's one of the few wild swaps out there that may make a lick of sense.

At first I thought "what the hell, why would anyone do this", and then was very quickly reminded that there are probably at least a handful of 997.1 owners out there who are giving themselves ulcers every time they consider taking their cars to the track, knowing that the IMS bearing issue may be a ticking time bomb. After watching that video, it made me want to do this swap. (Speed Academy is a great channel too, btw)

Thanks! I did and found it to be very impressive. I also watch the K24 Turbo Ferrari videos as well and am a big fan.

I wish manufacturers provide tools and specifications to enthusiasts to work with all the ECUs and the CAN bus. But I know that is wishful thinking. Being able to easily do seamless integration and tuning would make various build paths significantly more cost effective while preserving the OEM like functionalities.
Any time I start thinking about automotive software applications it makes me want to start diving in learning about them. I'm a cyber guy by trade and feel like I have a relevant skill set to tackle stuff like this... but then my motivation runs out, mostly from brain fatigue brought on by my day job.

I feel like there's all sorts of interesting things I could extract if I start going down that road though. Hopefully some day I'll be able to wrangle up enough motivation to push through the fatigue... maybe looking at it as an opportunity for a side-hustle could help me get there.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Henry is one of my absolute favorites too. He pretty much singlehandedly made my decision for me way back when I was in the market for my first P car and couldn't decide on a new 718 or a used 981. This video to this day gives me goosebumps hearing that exhaust note bouncing off the canyons in Mallorca and makes me want to kick myself for getting rid of my 981... worth a watch for anyone who likes cars (or Spain lol)

YES, I just watched a vid on this swap the other day! Although it's one of the few wild swaps out there that may make a lick of sense.

At first I thought "what the hell, why would anyone do this", and then was very quickly reminded that there are probably at least a handful of 997.1 owners out there who are giving themselves ulcers every time they consider taking their cars to the track, knowing that the IMS bearing issue may be a ticking time bomb. After watching that video, it made me want to do this swap. (Speed Academy is a great channel too, btw)

Any time I start thinking about automotive software applications it makes me want to start diving in learning about them. I'm a cyber guy by trade and feel like I have a relevant skill set to tackle stuff like this... but then my motivation runs out, mostly from brain fatigue brought on by my day job.

I feel like there's all sorts of interesting things I could extract if I start going down that road though. Hopefully some day I'll be able to wrangle up enough motivation to push through the fatigue... maybe looking at it as an opportunity for a side-hustle could help me get there.
Thanks for sharing the 981 video @optronix, I will have to watch it. There is something about flat 6 engines that can sound pretty amazing. The latest generation 4.0L that revs to 9,000 rpm sounds incredible. It is likely considered Ferrari blasphemy. I would say it sounds better than the 812 Superfast. Of course, I think the Ferrari V12 sounds incredible as well and I would not kick it out. :D

Speed Academy is great!

I am getting close to going into the ITS ECU rabbit hole. I think I am motivated enough this time to check it out. With my hubris self, I think how hard can it be! In reality, I am sure it is quite difficult.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Today’s ITS musing might help some understand why I am considering a build that allows for 8000 rpm with max power output at say 7500 rpm. Besides the visceral awesomeness of high rpm, there are other reasons why I think this approach warrants consideration.

First, I want to help clarify a key concept. While torque is important, an incorrect understanding is often propagated. To maximize acceleration, one needs to maximize the area under the power curve (not the torque curve). Using basic physics equations and calculus, this can be derived easily.

With the build I am considering, I will most likely keep the bore and stroke dimensions the same as stock. Combustion chamber volume and shape will likely be very close to stock as well. And I will be running pump fuel. With these parameters fixed, I am going to share an unpopular view. I expect Honda engineers have done an incredible job already. While there are likely incremental gains from turbo efficiency and taking away some safety margins, bore + stroke + combustion chamber + fuel practically fixed maximum cylinder pressure. In other words, power gain is mostly going to come from shifting the torque curve higher in rpm. In the end, I expect around 20% power increase compared to stock.

Of course, different fuel changes things significantly. Also, the amount of safety margin is a personal choice. In other words, making power with E85 or race fuel at thinner margin is much easier.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Since many of you might still have S2000 or know people that do, I thought I would put the words out that I am selling lots of great parts. Most of them are brand new in original boxes.

Freshly built by InlinePro F25C (2.5L) naturally aspirated pump gas monster that is meant for 9000 rpm. Ohlins TTX 2-way, Wisefab front & rear kit, AP RadiCAL front brakes, and a good bit more. Let me know if you or you know someone looking for some of the best S2000 parts. Besides amazing prices, immediate availability is priceless these days.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If I can pull off an engine that makes good power all the way to 8000 rpm, I think pairing that would shorter final drive would be good. Going to the FK8 ratio is a decent step but I think 4.4 or shorter would be even better.

Does anyone know how speedometer correction can be done in our platform?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My latest musing is putting a K20C1 or better yet a destroked K24 making about 330hp@9500rpm that redlines at 10,000rpm into an Ultima RS.

https://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Models/UltimaRS

That might be easier than starting from scratch. I have always wanted something like a BAC Mono but with enclosed cockpit, A/C, and a h-pattern manual.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Over 2500 miles now. While some of the miles were commuting miles, I estimate 80% of the miles are fun street miles. So far, I have averaged 14 mpg and that is a good indicator of lots of enjoyment!

I did not get to test the DWS 06+ in the snow & ice that we recently got in the PNW. In the cold & wet, the DWS 06+ are quite amazing. It is nice that even in cold temperatures, the tires do get a bit warmer even on wet pavement and the traction is great for the conditions.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Over 2500 miles now. While some of the miles were commuting miles, I estimate 80% of the miles are fun street miles. So far, I have averaged 14 mpg and that is a good indicator of lots of enjoyment!

I did not get to test the DWS 06+ in the snow & ice that we recently got in the PNW. In the cold & wet, the DWS 06+ are quite amazing. It is nice that even in cold temperatures, the tires do get a bit warmer even on wet pavement and the traction is great for the conditions.
Z2Vib2IuZ2lm.gif

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Eventually, I will likely play with Hondata. However, I prefer a first principle approach and have start my learning journey. I have a pretty ambitious vision so we will see how far I can get.

Of course, I dream that our platform is open. Imagine being able to get the ECU specifications, download all the firmware code, being able to build new firmware using reasonably high level programming language, and log any parameters at high frequency (limited by hardware only).

I am torn between 2 paths. Path 1 is reverse engineer the CAN bus messages and run Motec M142 with custom firmware build. Path 2 is reverse engineer the Bosch ECU. Of course, path 3 is wait for Motec to release a PnP version and path 4 is use Hondata.

Since my priority is different, my path is likely different than others. I prioritize learning and I enjoy this kind of activities. So far, I am using WinOLS to look at our ECU binary. Next step might be to reverse engineer the code. Of course, this is very much jumping into the deep end. Let's see how it goes!
Sponsored