Sponsored

miksfield

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I finally got my mechanic to install the Infinity Design intake. I got the Matte carbon fiber option.

Overall, it went well but there was some small issues that came up.
1. The interior of the intake was not smooth (as you can see in the pictures). I assumed that the inside of the intake would have a similar texture as the exterior but that wasn't the case
2. The right clip (circled in orange) was longer and ended up not being flush (so there is a gap). Might cut this clip down so that the rubber seals flush.
3. The kit didn't come with a rubber washer (circled in red) so I'm worried that the carbon here might get cut up. I'll have to go to Home Depot some time to buy some washers.
4. I asked for DE5 instead of FL5 Type R in the metal tag but they didn't change that so I got "Type R" on my metal tag.

Overall, I would give this kit a 8 out of 10. The outer matte carbon fiber finish is really really nice. I just wish everything would fit OEM perfectly but I guess I've just got super high standards. I haven't driven the car too much yet so I can't speak to power or sound yet.

20241019_161532-2.jpg
20241019_151401.jpg
20241019_151424.jpg
Sponsored

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
As someone who has made several things out of carbon, I can speak to part of this design. They went for looks over performance because carbon always has a "pretty side" and "ugly side" unless you bake two different parts and then fuse them. In this case they went with an interior mold so you'd get that pretty outer finish. An exterior mold would allow them to have the smooth/finished side facing in and the outside you'd just have to deal with seeing some wrinkles, pockets, and general imperfections, which could be made better by spending a lot of time sanding and clear coating. That would dramatically increase labor time, though, and it wouldn't be perfect.

Take for example the splitter i made... It's smooth in the functional areas and looks Meh everywhere where it doesn't matter. You just have to make some compromises with more complex carbon designs, unless you have a massive budget. Think carbon wheels which cost anywhere from 10-20k a piece because they're typically made out of highly complex mold assemblies and sometimes still two pieces.

IMG_20241021_142359.jpg

IMG_20241021_142359 (1).jpg

IMG_20241021_142359 (2).jpg

IMG_20241021_142359 (3).jpg

Underdog

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘24 ITS, ‘06 Legacy GT
Thanks for posting up your impressions. The fitment issues sound solvable, hopefully. I noticed the rough interior or the airbox in some of their pics - did you feel like the interior of the post-filter area was also excessively rough?

What is your impression of how future filter changes will be? Is the filter element a dry type?

OP
OP
miksfield

miksfield

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S

Doskiller

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type R FL5
Infinity does not make a metal DE5 tag. All tags read FL5 regardless of car. I just installed one on a DE5 with the carbon intake tube. As far as the insulation tube, you could drill a new hole, or cut the clip and use some double stick, or glue it. I mean ......... what do you want for $1500.00 bucks ......... LOL

BTW .......... The MAF sensor wire goes behind the cone.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Doskiller

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type R FL5
Thanks for the insight @Victorofhavoc .

@Underdog Thankfully, the interior of the post-filter area was pretty smooth. I'm assuming that when my filter gets dirty, I'll have to buy another filter from them because its a pretty unique cone design which I haven't seen before. The filter looked oiled to me.

https://infinitydesignusa.com/products/air-filter-replacement
The filter is oiled but it can be cleaned and re-oiled like any K&N filter. Mega videos to show you how.

OP
OP
miksfield

miksfield

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
@Doskiller Yea I got too excited installing the intake and didn't realize that we were supposed to route the maf behind the intake until everything was buttoned down. I got lazy and just put it over. Haha. Maybe I'll redo it if I ever have to dig into it again.
Sponsored