Limp mode ends my first track day ever

HappyKasper

First Name
Kasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 2024 Type S
I had an AWESOME day today taking my ~3000mi Type S to the track - Jzilla at Barber in Alabama.

Here's my (still embarrassing) best lap:

After a very pleasant 8 hour drive in last night, I spent all day and two full fuel tanks at the track today (measured consumption of the second - 10 gallons burned in the 70 miles I drove in the afternoon).

30 minutes into the 40 minute "happy hour" session at the end of the day (previous sessions had been 20min each), I was cresting the hill at the end of the Carousel and felt the power stutter. My first thought was traction control (which I'd fully disabled), but then the dashboard lit up with failure lights and I nearly forgot to brake into the hairpin as I tried to understand what was going on. I couldn't accelerate out of the hairpin - the car seemed to be limited to 10mph or so (I never looked at the actual speed), and I limped back to the pits.

I was at 5 bars of engine heat, and it was the hottest part of the day, and I'd run longer than in any previous session, so I first suspected limp mode being triggered by excessive temperature (oil or otherwise). Once I drove around the pits a bit and power cycled the car, limp mode went away but the check engine light remained, along with a message about a fuel system issue and a rev match issue. Shortly thereafter, my fuel indicator went from two bars to one bar - I hadn't realized I was at such low fuel until I got into limp mode, because I'd filled up less than 70 miles prior.

I'd stupidly left my OBD scanner at home so I went to an AutoZone to clear the codes and to see this:

errors.jpg

I did some hard accelerations after clearing the codes and the light hasn't returned - so I suspect the turbo underboost was secondary to the fuel pressure fault, i.e. I had a brief moment of fuel starvation due to the G-forces of the track and it triggered both of these codes.

Some chance remains that I blew a leak in the turbo/exhaust system but I suspect the G-induced fuel starvation was the real culprit. I'm back at the track tomorrow, and we'll see if the issue recurs!
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Yeah... you go through fuel VERY FAST when you're pinned at WOT for 20+ minutes at a time.

And fuel starvation is a thing in these cars. The hardcore FL5 guys fuel up between every session. For a 30-40 minute session I wouldn't even attempt it without at least 3/4 tank...

Pay attention to see if you still get the "pops and bangs" from the exhaust in sport+ mode. Many have reported that goes away after getting these codes or similar. As far as I know it requires a trip to the dealer to completely clear it up; there may be a software update that provides a more permanent fix but someone else who's gone through it will have to chime in. @ender_ong went through it a good time ago, I think @StingertimeNC has too but can't remember for certain...

Also, getting the coolant temp past the 4 bar mark seems to only happen on the track on very hot days- but so far no one has reported an actual overheating situation, which gives me hope. I actually don't think the FL5 overheats either, as I think every occasion where this has happened to folks has been attributed to an aftermarket bar and plate intercooler blocking airflow to the radiator.

30-40 minutes, that's a really long session at the end of the day; how were your brakes and tires feeling? All stock I'm assuming? Being your first time out I wouldn't expect you to be pushing the car too hard so you'll probably be ok but keep an eye out for that. No bullshit- if your car starts acting funny or you start even thinking you might be getting tired or finding it hard to focus, pull in to the pits! You're already out there having fun on a track day; there is absolutely zero reason to push the envelope, for you or your car. Even seasoned track junkies have lapses in judgement, there is nothing but glory to be found in knowing your limits.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Yes, I had the Low fuel rail pressure thingy last time at the track. Reset the code myself and nothing since. I'm chalking it up to fuel starvation for just a split second. Maybe got some air in the line or something and that threw the car into limp mode. What I didn't realize at the time, is that the car won't rev past 3k rpm's, but if you keep shifting into higher gears you can go faster. I think I was in third gear and limped in at about 35-40 mph. Had I just shifted to fourth, then 5th I could have gotten in much faster.

I filled up between most sessions but once I still had 3/4 of a tank at least and I think that's when it happened. I would fill up after every 30 minute session just to be safe.

OP
OP
HappyKasper

HappyKasper

First Name
Kasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 2024 Type S
No bullshit- if your car starts acting funny or you start even thinking you might be getting tired or finding it hard to focus, pull in to the pits! You're already out there having fun on a track day; there is absolutely zero reason to push the envelope, for you or your car. Even seasoned track junkies have lapses in judgement, there is nothing but glory to be found in knowing your limits.
Thank you! This is all massively helpful; I may have had a very hairy moment earlier in the day, about 30 seconds after my instructor gave me my first point by and I was finally out on my own. Woke me up to the reality that it's astoundingly easy to lose control of a car out there if you're not 100% on your game.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I had an AWESOME day today taking my ~3000mi Type S to the track - Jzilla at Barber in Alabama.

Here's my (still embarrassing) best lap:

After a very pleasant 8 hour drive in last night, I spent all day and two full fuel tanks at the track today (measured consumption of the second - 10 gallons burned in the 70 miles I drove in the afternoon).

30 minutes into the 40 minute "happy hour" session at the end of the day (previous sessions had been 20min each), I was cresting the hill at the end of the Carousel and felt the power stutter. My first thought was traction control (which I'd fully disabled), but then the dashboard lit up with failure lights and I nearly forgot to brake into the hairpin as I tried to understand what was going on. I couldn't accelerate out of the hairpin - the car seemed to be limited to 10mph or so (I never looked at the actual speed), and I limped back to the pits.

I was at 5 bars of engine heat, and it was the hottest part of the day, and I'd run longer than in any previous session, so I first suspected limp mode being triggered by excessive temperature (oil or otherwise). Once I drove around the pits a bit and power cycled the car, limp mode went away but the check engine light remained, along with a message about a fuel system issue and a rev match issue. Shortly thereafter, my fuel indicator went from two bars to one bar - I hadn't realized I was at such low fuel until I got into limp mode, because I'd filled up less than 70 miles prior.

I'd stupidly left my OBD scanner at home so I went to an AutoZone to clear the codes and to see this:

errors.jpg

I did some hard accelerations after clearing the codes and the light hasn't returned - so I suspect the turbo underboost was secondary to the fuel pressure fault, i.e. I had a brief moment of fuel starvation due to the G-forces of the track and it triggered both of these codes.

Some chance remains that I blew a leak in the turbo/exhaust system but I suspect the G-induced fuel starvation was the real culprit. I'm back at the track tomorrow, and we'll see if the issue recurs!
Lap looked good to me, but I don't know what a good time is at that track. I love the look of the track though. Very smooth pavement, lots of high speed stuff. Very cool!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
HappyKasper

HappyKasper

First Name
Kasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 2024 Type S
Yes, I had the Low fuel rail pressure thingy last time at the track. Reset the code myself and nothing since. I'm chalking it up to fuel starvation for just a split second.
Thank you, this is relieving to hear. My last car (2012 BMW 535i) had a limp mode addiction that pushed me to get a nice new car (this ITS) for the first time in my life, so it was a bit upsetting to see that nice new car so messed up just 3k mi in.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'm with you. Any kind of issue is disconcerting. Anything that erodes trust, especially at the track, stinks.

Meanwhile I have a buddy who's been beating on a 2013 Camaro SS for years with no issues at all. Proper maintenance but he drives hard at the track and it just keeps on ticking. The more technical crap is the easier it is for something to happen. Such is life.

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
Almost certain fuel starvation. Ideally, try to keep your tank above half all the time on track if at all possible. If that’s refueling every session or two, just do it.

Congrats on all your track day fun! Enjoy!

bruejam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Tiger Eye Type S
Man I love Barber... I've taken three classes through the Porsche driving school there. Having Hurley Haywood and Pippa Mann critique your corners and braking points is a crazy experience. It's been a few years, but I believe I was lapping in the mid to high 1:30s in a GT3 RS. I'd love to get the Type S there, but Birmingham is a serious haul for me.

A few of my laps for reference:
https://youtu.be/nI3lXKMCSHs?feature=shared

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
HappyKasper

HappyKasper

First Name
Kasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 2024 Type S
Hi all, sorry for not updating sooner.

The code reset held - no new codes, and I kept my car topped up between sessions the next day. I set an even faster lap, so I have no fear that the fuel starvation caused any lasting damage.

Here's the last session of the day - I'm impressed with how well this car can stand up to the heat:

Pay attention to see if you still get the "pops and bangs" from the exhaust in sport+ mode. Many have reported that goes away after getting these codes or similar.
Fortunately I'm still hearing those, so all good there!

Final note on the fuel - it seems like the gauge is pretty inaccurate on the track. I was shocked at how much fuel I was adding between sessions, well over half a tank when the gauge was showing over 3/4 full.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Hi all, sorry for not updating sooner.

The code reset held - no new codes, and I kept my car topped up between sessions the next day. I set an even faster lap, so I have no fear that the fuel starvation caused any lasting damage.

Here's the last session of the day - I'm impressed with how well this car can stand up to the heat:

Fortunately I'm still hearing those, so all good there!

Final note on the fuel - it seems like the gauge is pretty inaccurate on the track. I was shocked at how much fuel I was adding between sessions, well over half a tank when the gauge was showing over 3/4 full.

Thanks for the info. For those who like to push their tank to go the distance off-track, I'd chime in for non track duty, the range is fairly accurate with a bit of intentional emergency margin I'm sure (at least for me).

Basically I purposely hit 0 on the range and drove another 10-15 miles on the highway at 85mph to get to the station I wanted. I filled up about 11.4 gallons, so I had a single gallon left in the tank.

Unless you're feeling lucky, the margin is just not there in the Integra, at least not like some other cars I've driven where an extra 30-50 miles past empty still meant you had a gallon or two left.
Sponsored