Sponsored

Drivetrain vibration / metal rattle sound

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I don't really know how else to describe this- but basically when I'm at around 3500 or so rpm and very light throttle, I can hear and feel a slight vibration. It reminds of a heat shield rattle, and clutch chatter, but not really exactly like either. It's not dependent on any one gear.

I've heard there are noises associated with the electronic wastegate but the videos I've heard don't really match what I'm experiencing in my car. And I can't duplicate without the clutch fully engaged which leads me to believe it's drivetrain related. But it's close so I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

I've had some run-ins with random interior buzzes and rattles that seem to come and go, but this one is fairly easily duplicated. I'm naively hoping it goes away as I continue to accumulate miles as part of the break-on procedure, because I REALLY don't want to have to chase this down with a dealer tech...
Sponsored

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
Hi All,

I picked up my ITS last Saturday and have been enjoying every minute of it. One thing that has been driving me nuts though is this strange metal in metal rubbing sound. Not grinding, but imagine rubbing two cymbals together. This only happens when moving in gear and letting off power. Say I’m in 3rd going 25mph and lift off the gas, the noise starts. The second I lay a feather worth of pressure on the pedal it stops. It’s very confusing and can’t figure it out. Anyone else experience this?

2015FB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Type R R-13973
It's the wastegate actuator. It's normal on all turbo cars. When under load, there it tension on the arm and no noise. When off the throttle, there is no tension on the arm and it vibrates and makes the noise you are talking about. If you pop the hood, you can wiggle the arm. That's what you are hearing.

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi All,

I picked up my ITS last Saturday and have been enjoying every minute of it. One thing that has been driving me nuts though is this strange metal in metal rubbing sound. Not grinding, but imagine rubbing two cymbals together. This only happens when moving in gear and letting off power. Say I’m in 3rd going 25mph and lift off the gas, the noise starts. The second I lay a feather worth of pressure on the pedal it stops. It’s very confusing and can’t figure it out. Anyone else experience this?
I just started a thread about this last night. Yes, you're describing exactly what I'm experiencing- better than I could, too.

It's the wastegate actuator. It's normal on all turbo cars. When under load, there it tension on the arm and no noise. When off the throttle, there is no tension on the arm and it vibrates and makes the noise you are talking about. If you pop the hood, you can wiggle the arm. That's what you are hearing.
Not the first time I've heard this- I've seen other threads/videos suggest that you don't need to be in gear for the wastegate noise to happen, you can get it from just static revving at idle. I can't seem to be able to do that... but especially if others are experiencing the same thing then that makes it a hell of a lot easier to ignore.

It's really not that big a deal, and only distracting if I think something's wrong. If it's truly normal then party on.

All that said- I've owned MANY, MANY turbo cars and this is the first I've ever noticed anything this consistent. It might just be the way the K20C wastegate is implemented, or that it's just more pronounced.

Sponsored

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT, 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6
I also have owned many turbo cars and never heard a noise like this before - but this is my first turbo Honda product and apparently this has been an issue for the past generations of turbo Honda as well. I only hear it in gear on my A-spec 6MT, as the engine revs drop too fast otherwise. I also only hear it with the windows down or the radio off at very low speeds. Not sure why Honda hasn't figured this one out, but I've accepted it as just a characteristic of these cars🤷. Would love to find a fix for it, though.

LATNYTE

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 INTEGRA ASPEC TECH
mid shaft bearing ....

LATNYTE

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 INTEGRA ASPEC TECH
you would think so but I have seen 2

BostonCTR

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2013 Toyota Corolla
I used to have the exact same sound happen on my FK8, never figured it out before selling it.

Sponsored

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
Well I’m glad I’m not alone. Even if it was a problem, figured I’d drive it till it explodes.

LATNYTE

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 INTEGRA ASPEC TECH
i'd have the dealership do it

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
you would think so but I have seen 2
2 on what type of car? FK8/FL5 or Type S?

I don't think it's relevant if it's an A spec. Totally different drivetrain.

LATNYTE

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 INTEGRA ASPEC TECH
type s on both ,however that bearing is the same on all new integras
Sponsored