Weird trade-in values

lunchbox

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Manual
A same condition, same mileage, same transmission, same year Civic Si is worth more than our better equipped, more practical Integras? I'm sure there's more demand for the Civic, but there's no way it's worth more. Is this just a byproduct of not having enough sales data yet? I checked the CVT Integra and it's a little better, but still less than the Civic. Hopefully it corrects as time goes on or this could be really annoying come trade-in time.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 10.46.10 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 10.46.23 AM.png
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Welcome to luxury vehicles.. they depreciate faster.
Also there are now new cars sitting on the lot so used car prices are dropping.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
My guess is that the Integra Type A (even with tech pkg) may sit on a lot longer than the Civic Si.

My local Acura and Honda dealers are next to each other. There are a ton of NEW Integra's for sale (can be bought under MSRP as well) while there are much less NEW Civic's on the lot.

OP
OP
lunchbox

lunchbox

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Manual
Welcome to luxury vehicles.. they depreciate faster.
Also there are now new cars sitting on the lot so used car prices are dropping.
I'm aware of that, but "depreciating faster" is relative. I would absolutely expect to not get as close to MSRP as a Civic Si would after a year or two, but I doubt that sentiment is strong enough for its value to dip below its lesser counterpart with the same chassis and engine. A RAV4 doesn't suddenly become more valuable than a Lexus NX after 2 years; especially when better equipped. The Lexus loses more value overall of course as the novelty of luxury wears off, but it will maintain a higher trade-in value for awhile.

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2014 FJ Cruiser 2024 4Runner
Its also dependent on where you live, I traded my 23 A-Spec Tech in August for over 32K

Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Its also dependent on where you live, I traded my 23 A-Spec Tech in August for over 32K
Same for me.. but when there were 1 or two for sale now theres a bunch

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2014 FJ Cruiser 2024 4Runner
Same for me.. but when there were 1 or two for sale now theres a bunch
Very True , at least for us the ITS is still a very rare model. I have yet to see another on the road where I live. I think the supply and interest rates are bringing the market somewhat back to where it used to be.

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I have no plans to sell my ITS but am still wanting it to keep value for sure.
market is a crazy unpredictable thing.
It's a car and I expect after one year you would be lucky to get what an FL5 sells for new.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
It's really just the market doing what the market does. Most people who buy Civics aren't car enthusiasts outside of the Type-R folks and the Civic Si. If you asked someone who wasn't a car person what a good reliable small car is, they'll more than likely say "Honda".

People looking for a good, reliable, used car would be interested in a Civic. Most of the non-enthusiast buyers have no idea that the Integra is based on the Civic. Many have no idea that Acuras are just fancy Hondas.

When these shoppers are looking for a good, reliable, fuel efficient small car....they aren't thinking Integra. If there was an Integra sitting next to a Civic on a used car lot, 7 out of 10 people won't consider the Integra because they don't know what it is.

It's why Honda is selling Civics for MSRP plus add ons and markups. I considered a Civic Si when I bought my WRX last spring. Only one of my many Honda dealers had one in stock and they wanted $5000 over MSRP for it. When I bought my Integra, I shopped Civic again. The Civic Hatchback Sport Touring MSRP was $33k. The dealers wanted full MSRP, plus anywhere from $3000-$5000 add ons and mark ups...if they even had one in stock. I got my Integra for less money than I could have bought the Civic for. Being an enthusiast, I knew the Integra was a nicer Civic, but I didn't think I could get one given my budget. I expected the Acura dealer would be marking them up too. But they weren't. Their "doc fee" was also several hundred dollars less. No markups. No add ons. I ended up paying even less by getting a CPO Integra with 4500 miles on it. That also included an additional warranty to 100,000 miles.

Given my experience, anyone who would buy a Civic Hatchback over an Integra is only doing so because they don't know any better.

Sponsored

ND2SloActiv

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Car(s)
04 4Runner V8 Limited, 24 Integra Type S
My running theory is that Honda is purposefully making less Si than 6spd Integras to keep the price on them high. When consumers see how close in price the Acura is vs the Civic they'll likely buy the Acura.
The Si used to be the best performance bargain in automotive, as recent as the last generation. You could buy for less than the $24k MSRP or lease for next to nothing.
Honda is making significantly more Integras with 6spds than Si, and even then the Si MSRP is so much higher it just doesn't feel like a value anymore (especially when considering new models don't have heated seats or electronic dampeners).
If a 23 Si and a 23 ASpec 6spd with the same miles ran at an auction I would guess the Si might do more. Supply and demand even when people aren't paying attention.
This is genuinely why I'm in the market for an ITS now, because the gap from a Type R isn't that large and Type Rs are harder to come by. I initially scoffed at the ITS MSRP but now that inflation has killed any value in new cars it seems like the best option.
This also all feels very intentional by Honda, likely trying to push Acura sales up.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I think Honda is on track to produce roughly 3.5k CTR's and ITS' for 2024. Just based on things I've read here. I also thought the CTR was more limited but apparently not. For similar OTD pricing, the ITS is the choice!
Sponsored

Reactions: RMA