cvt fluid change

tomoose

First Name
tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 acura integra
first cvt i’ve had and know nothing about the cvt fluid as the dealer never mentioned anything to me about it. can someone help me find how to do it and where i can find the fluid and also why it is necessary, thank you
Sponsored

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
You can find the fluid at a Honda dealer. Why is it necessary to replace it? Like all other transmission fluids (and fluids in general), because fluid properties wear off after a while.

How to do it? Don't know, but should be similar to an AT fluid change.

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
I had my dealer do it at 25k miles. It is a full flush where it is drained and then filled, ran through the gears, drained and then filled again another two times to remove as much of the old fluid as possible. There are good videos on YouTube of 11th gen civics having it done at home. It is a bit involved as you need to do a few fills and drains while switching through all the gears (reverse, metal, drive) my cvt was starting to whine a bit in low “gear” and is likely from the fluid losing it’s lubricating properties, mostly due to heat but also just time/mileage. The whining went away after replacement.
Make cvt fluid flushes part of your cars regular maintainence and aim do have it done every 25-30k miles to keep the cvt in working order for as long as possible.

Ap2Iven

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000 / 10th Gen Civic
first cvt i’ve had and know nothing about the cvt fluid as the dealer never mentioned anything to me about it. can someone help me find how to do it and where i can find the fluid and also why it is necessary, thank you
If you go to Honda parts, they will give you 4 quarts of CVT fluid and a drain and fill plug gaskets . That’s all you need and it can be done at home in under 1 hour including time to jack up the car then bring it down. Very simple to do. I did mine at 15k miles but Honda service told me to do it every 20K for CVT

reinstated

First Name
Jez
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Honda Integra Type R
I'm a bit confused about the whole draining and filling process SeanIsElsewhere described. Do you really need to do it multiple times? Sounds complicated for a newbie like me. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay a pro.
Sponsored