ITS gearbox noise

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' Type S (TEP), 96' Miata, 95' Spec Miata
I took my ITS on a trip up to the tail of the dragon about a month ago and everything went well. However, there was one thing that I noticed while driving with the windows down, and that was that the gearbox made a noise after coming off of the throttle in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear. I didn’t think much of it since it didn’t sound bad, but now I hear it while driving around town and it has me just a little bit worried. The car is about a month old and it has almost 3k miles on it fyi.
Sponsored

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
What kind of noise ? I have a slight rumble/rattle noise when coming off the gas at 2-3k rpms but I am not sure it is the gear box , almost sounds like the exhaust possibly but I cannot pin point it .

OP
OP
Coolyellowcar

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

ITS_320

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Accord 2.0T/10AT, '24 ITS
I agree that the turning a specific direction thing doesn't make sense (and isn't something I've experienced). If you listen to the video in that thread (best with headphones on turned way up) you can hear the groaning noise around the 5 second mark. I can also replicate that on light throttle in 3rd gear at some lower speeds, but its very easy to produce it at highway speeds 65-70mph. If I lift off the throttle on level ground, and then just lightly re-apply it I can produce the noise nearly every time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coolyellowcar

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I only get the noise when coasting off of the throttle so I think it is just a loud set of gears since the integra has a stronger gearbox.

24ITSowner

First Name
IntegratypeSown
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra type S
So after 4 trips to 3 dealerships for this exact problem. I can officially say. It is just a noise the car makes. Civic r has same problem. It isn’t something that can be fixed. Atleast yet. Acura doesn’t have a persay fix for it

OP
OP
Coolyellowcar

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So after 4 trips to 3 dealerships for this exact problem. I can officially say. It is just a noise the car makes. Civic r has same problem. It isn’t something that can be fixed. Atleast yet. Acura doesn’t have a persay fix for it
Ok. If it isn’t something that hurts the car then I wouldn’t be worried about fixing it or worrying about it.

ITS_320

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Accord 2.0T/10AT, '24 ITS
I agree, I've suspected its just a characteristic of the car. I will say that I recently did a transmission fluid change and it was slightly underfilled from the factory. They're spec'd for 2.3qts on a fluid change but mine only drained out 2.0 quarts. When I pulled the check bolt before draining the OEM fill nothing came out.

I'm not sure if they all ship like this or if its just an issue with some of the earlier produced cars (I bought mine at the end of September 2023).

The new transmission fluid and the proper fill amount have made the gear noise less noticeable but I'm going to put a few hundred more miles on it before I give a final opinion.

24ITSowner

First Name
IntegratypeSown
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So did mine. They told me it was low… I told them if it’s low they need to refill it. That it’s a warranty issue. Came from factory. Good to know I wasn’t the only one. But it’s never gonna go away it just is what it is. It’s bothersome but idc I’m trading the car on the second so fuck it 😂

Sponsored

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
So did mine. They told me it was low… I told them if it’s low they need to refill it. That it’s a warranty issue. Came from factory. Good to know I wasn’t the only one. But it’s never gonna go away it just is what it is. It’s bothersome but idc I’m trading the car on the second so fuck it 😂
What is going to be the replacement?

24ITSowner

First Name
IntegratypeSown
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The drain and replace of my transmission fluid. If it was low in any way. Then it came that way. Trans fluid don’t just evaporate or disappear, if it was low it came that way “warranty factory defect”

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
The drain and replace of my transmission fluid. If it was low in any way. Then it came that way. Trans fluid don’t just evaporate or disappear, if it was low it came that way “warranty factory defect”
Doesn't your car have over 20k miles on it?

Idk, I don't think it's worth raging over that. It's tough to say "it came from the factory like that" after you put 20k miles on it...

I also don't think it's going to solve the problem. I agree it's "just a noise the car makes".

That said, I wish it wasn't. It's the only thing I truly don't care for about the car.

24ITSowner

First Name
IntegratypeSown
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had way less going thru All that long before I posted.

Snugs24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Mine made gearbox whine noises when driving off the lot almost a year ago. Nothing's happened yet *fingers crossed*.
Sponsored