droster

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' ITS
Hi all,
First post on the forum: Is there any indication that the Pops & Bangs will reduce the life of the engine? I love my ITS and want to keep it for a very long time so want to make sure that keeping the Engine settings in the Individual Mode to Sport+ which produces the Pops & Bangs won't reduce the overall life of the engine.
Sponsored

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
no issues, its just a bit of extra fuel that is injected off throttle, nothing mechanical or bad.

Its relatively mild compared to sport mode on a Porsche in terms of poppin' :)

hiddenrun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Apex Blue
Both my 2024 Integra Type S and my 2024 Carrera S (without the Sport Exhaust option) are bone stock, and the pops and bangs are much more noticeable on the Integra. I installed a Cargraphic valve controller on the Porsche for more exhaust sound (it keeps the exhaust valves 100% open), and even with that, it's got nothing on the ITS- pops and bang-wise.

I'm not bummed because I don't like loud cars (part of the reason I got rid of my Blackwing, 'cause it was embarrassingly loud), but the little Integra with the burbles and farts is awesome.

Run it until you get bored with the sound, and then just keep it on Sport. The Integra is a great car.

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
With the newer turbo engines and noise regulations I wonder if Porsche had to dial back the volume.

Our NA 981 Cayman GTS is borderline obnoxious with sport+ and PSE enabled: and glorious :)

Type S is a puppy by comparison, just cute with its pop pop pop once in a while.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
With the newer turbo engines and noise regulations I wonder if Porsche had to dial back the volume.

Our NA 981 Cayman GTS is borderline obnoxious with sport+ and PSE enabled: and glorious :)

Type S is a puppy by comparison, just cute with its pop pop pop once in a while.
Yeah the 981 GTS in particular is peak Porsche sound.

There are two cars I've had that I never should have gotten rid of. A 981 Boxster GTS, and a 991.2 Carrera S.

The 981 sounded way better, but the 991 driving experience was completely sublime.

Sponsored

OP
OP
droster

droster

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' ITS
The exhaust note of the 981 GTS is pure music to my ears. Wow!

Thanks for the info! I’ll keep it in this mode until it gets old. The effect adds an extra touch to an already great driving experience, especially on the downshifts.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for a used 981 or 718 GTS (manual) w. the GoldLeaf GT4 style intake someday.

https://goldleafperformance.com/products/porsche-cayman-gt4-rs-style-carbon-intake

I'm leaning towards picking up another 981 as soon as I can reasonably justify it. They've never been easy to find, and they're only going to get harder...

The 718 GTS 4.0 is going to be the same story I think. Also, the sound is quite different from the 981. Better intake/induction noise, worse exhaust... but that can mostly be remedied with a Kline or Cargraphic exhaust... if you don't mind parting with another $7-12k (depending if you want headers or not).

The 718 GTS 2.5 is a good compromise if you're not locked into it sounding like the N/A cars. It sounds pretty good in its own right. All the media trashing the sound is an echo chamber comparing it to the N/A cars. If you drop the gratuitous comparisons, the turbo 4s sound really good- and the driving experience rivals supercars. Far better steering and a better overall chassis than the 981. And could probably be had at a decent bargain- although for the GTS versions people have caught on and the market has figured out that they don't sound bad enough to drop the values below about $85k last I checked.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
One thing I wish the car had was the ability to turn off the pops but keep all of the Sport+ highest throttle response setting. It is sad to me that Acura didn't program that additional setting where you could have the top acceleration throttle response but eliminate the pops. I love the top throttle response setting but sometimes get tired of the pops.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
One thing I wish the car had was the ability to turn off the pops but keep all of the Sport+ highest throttle response setting. It is sad to me that Acura didn't program that additional setting where you could have the top acceleration throttle response but eliminate the pops. I love the top throttle response setting but sometimes get tired of the pops.
This has been a recurrent theme on Porsche forums for years.

Sponsored

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Completely valid point but 😂 at the cosmic humor of this situation arising from someone who has "Pop" in their user name.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
no issues, its just a bit of extra fuel that is injected off throttle, nothing mechanical or bad.

someone in one of the other threads about the subject said that it was bad in the long run and would eventually ruin the catalytic converter or whatever. i was really curious if there was any truth to that.

OP
OP
droster

droster

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' ITS
someone in one of the other threads about the subject said that it was bad in the long run and would eventually ruin the catalytic converter or whatever. i was really curious if there was any truth to that.
Perhaps a side effect of the added exhaust gases, which adds additional stress to the catalytic converter and causes it to wear down faster.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'm leaning towards picking up another 981 as soon as I can reasonably justify it. They've never been easy to find, and they're only going to get harder...

The 718 GTS 4.0 is going to be the same story I think. Also, the sound is quite different from the 981. Better intake/induction noise, worse exhaust... but that can mostly be remedied with a Kline or Cargraphic exhaust... if you don't mind parting with another $7-12k (depending if you want headers or not).

The 718 GTS 2.5 is a good compromise if you're not locked into it sounding like the N/A cars. It sounds pretty good in its own right. All the media trashing the sound is an echo chamber comparing it to the N/A cars. If you drop the gratuitous comparisons, the turbo 4s sound really good- and the driving experience rivals supercars. Far better steering and a better overall chassis than the 981. And could probably be had at a decent bargain- although for the GTS versions people have caught on and the market has figured out that they don't sound bad enough to drop the values below about $85k last I checked.
Specifically chasing NA and induction noise. I have a fun turbo car already :)

If I can't make the 718/981 6 cyl w. the GT4-esque intake work, I'll settle for an E9x M3 w. bearings, etc. or an AP1 S2K. It's probably going to be the S2k, and I'm okay with that, but dream big, as they say.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I'll tell you something though, putting an aftermarket exhaust will exacerbate the pops and bangs in Sport+

I keep mine on Sport most of the time around town because it pops and bangs at almost every liftoff now and it definitely gets a lot of attention. It's nice to have that option of kicking it into Sport+ when I want to get roudy though.
Sponsored