Sponsored

PPF is it worth it for complete car?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I've never had much issue taking ppf off. Just a heat gun and some patience is all it has taken.

I do agree it's an extra step in repair. Insurance often won't cover it unless it was actually reported and you ensured it was insured. However, I do know some installers will give you a discount for panel repairs and something like a mirror should be 70$, while a door would be 250-300$.

My issue with respray, and what keeps me coming back to ppf, is that typically repainting of any sort is not done whole panel and they typically sand, blend, clear. This leads to high spots and waviness that can be picked up by a paint meter, and will definitely impact value negatively. Not to mention small bumps and dings can take off paint which requires a respray where ppf would only require popping the dent and cleaning it up. Sure I could find someone to properly sand and repaint a panel so there aren't high spots, but it will cost as much for two panels as ppf for the whole car would.
Thing is, I've had cars reach well over 100k miles and have not needed a respray. Sure, there are a few rock chips... but in all honesty? Not as unsightly as aging PPF.

Except for my STI. That thing was sandblasted with rock chips at like 8k miles... but I feel like PPF would ruin the paint if it were removed too because Subaru paint sucks.

Personally I've fallen for the allure of PPF, had it on several cars, but have since gotten over it.
Sponsored

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Type S , 2003 Evo, 2018 AMG E63s
Thing is, I've had cars reach well over 100k miles and have not needed a respray. Sure, there are a few rock chips... but in all honesty? Not as unsightly as aging PPF.

Except for my STI. That thing was sandblasted with rock chips at like 8k miles... but I feel like PPF would ruin the paint if it were removed too because Subaru paint sucks.

Personally I've fallen for the allure of PPF, had it on several cars, but have since gotten over it.
Had a brand new 2018 sti in white. Within a few weeks the paint on the rear bumper was just peeling off. Never seen anything like that before

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Had a brand new 2018 sti in white. Within a few weeks the paint on the rear bumper was just peeling off. Never seen anything like that before
Yep, typical subaru. I had a 2010 wrx and later a 2014 sti... The hood scoop would start peeling from bug guts by 20k mi.

Sponsored

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep, pos... Popped two engines, one trans, multiple cv joints, and literally everything rattled like hell. Stupid, stupid car. Damn it i miss it...
Lol. My engine blew with 16k miles. I don't miss it one bit lol. Fixed it, sold it. Bought an Amg. Much happier

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Lol. My engine blew with 16k miles. I don't miss it one bit lol. Fixed it, sold it. Bought an Amg. Much happier
The way ej power comes on was always entertaining. Like driving an old widowmaker if you ever get so lucky... It's hard to match the connectedness from other cars. I looked at some amg cars recently but they all came with the wrong transmission choice. It's too bad amg and audi rs went that way.

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The way ej power comes on was always entertaining. Like driving an old widowmaker if you ever get so lucky... It's hard to match the connectedness from other cars. I looked at some amg cars recently but they all came with the wrong transmission choice. It's too bad amg and audi rs went that way.
Depends what amg your looking at. I have the 9spd makes 740hp. It runs 10s all day. Not much keeps up with it.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Depends what amg your looking at. I have the 9spd makes 740hp. It runs 10s all day. Not much keeps up with it.
For that type of use case- a big, loud, fast in a straight line bruiser- an AMG is great.

But as a sports car? Never appealed to me. I'm not entirely sure why, but Audi RS did appeal to me... until I owned one, a B9.5 RS5. GREAT daily. Engaging, fun to drive, sounds great. 100% absolutely not a sports car.

I can't really honestly say I miss the STI, but I also can't say I didn't enjoy it while I had it. It bridged the gap pretty well between 90s import glory days and modern sports sedan... but there were many compromises. The paint was absolutely one of them!

The ITS does everything an STI does better though. Except snow and rallycross probably. And exhaust sound.

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For that type of use case- a big, loud, fast in a straight line bruiser- an AMG is great.

But as a sports car? Never appealed to me. I'm not entirely sure why, but Audi RS did appeal to me... until I owned one, a B9.5 RS5. GREAT daily. Engaging, fun to drive, sounds great. 100% absolutely not a sports car.

I can't really honestly say I miss the STI, but I also can't say I didn't enjoy it while I had it. It bridged the gap pretty well between 90s import glory days and modern sports sedan... but there were many compromises. The paint was absolutely one of them!

The ITS does everything an STI does better though. Except snow and rallycross probably. And exhaust sound.
I have the amg for the go fast. An evo 8 to hit the corners and the type S to get to work lol. I have all my bases covered lol.
IMG_20200307_115338_146.jpg
Sponsored