Sponsored

Scratched my integra, what's the best way to fix it?

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
I screwed up and shut my garage door on my integra. It left some scratches between the taillights. Anyone know what the best way to repair this is?
1704504743543.png
Sponsored

Brian G

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RLX
I did the same thing to my RLX, ouch. Try some compound. If the scratches are deep, you would need to get it resprayed.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
This is why we can't have nice things, am I right? I had to say it, couldn't help it. If it makes you feel any better, I smacked my open/overhead garage door with the wing of my FL5 immediately after bringing it home. It happens.

I agree with @Brian G on the compound--it looks like those scratches are in the clear coat and they should come out. Buffing them out by hand may be a little tedious. You can use a Ryobi random orbit polisher if you're feeling adventurous. Hit the area with a well-lubed clay bar first.

Sponsored

jpooah1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S Apex Blue
agree that luckily doesnt look too bad. you could polish that and would be less noticeable. you can buy an orbital polisher online, i have one from griots garage, and then you wash the car, even clay bar that area. then use mequiars cutting 105 ultra cut polish first with a rougher style cutting pad on the polisher. if you look on amazon and type that in it pops up there’s like harder pads and softer pads. after you go with a lighter softer pad and meguiars finishing polish 205. after that can like clean and wax the spot and see how it looks. i am not a professional but i have done this myself and it can get rid of scratches. be sure to not burn the clear coat just keep moving the polisher so it doesn't get too hot in one spot. i'm sure you can find a youtube video to help.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Sucks that this happened to you - hopefully you are able to fix it and get it looking like new again.

Going forward, if you're worried about closing the door on your car again, you could do what I do - I back into the garage and I laid down some black duct tape on the floor that lines up perfectly with the guidelines on the backup camera. Gets me into the perfect position each time and I don't have to worry about the door hitting the car.

If you don't want to back in, another option is to hang a tennis ball from your ceiling so it's touching the windshield, and every time you park in the garage just drive in until you're touching the tennis ball.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Sucks that this happened to you - hopefully you are able to fix it and get it looking like new again.

Going forward, if you're worried about closing the door on your car again, you could do what I do - I back into the garage and I laid down some black duct tape on the floor that lines up perfectly with the guidelines on the backup camera. Gets me into the perfect position each time and I don't have to worry about the door hitting the car.

If you don't want to back in, another option is to hang a tennis ball from your ceiling so it's touching the windshield, and every time you park in the garage just drive in until you're touching the tennis ball.
Good suggestions but I'm super curious, isn't this exactly what the parking sensors are for. You park once perfectly then note the sensor distance.

Like for myself, it's 2 bars on the front right (to my roller cabinet) and one bar on the left to the back of my garage. As soon as I get the second bar on the right, I know I'm deep enough to close the garage door, no ball, no line.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Good suggestions but I'm super curious, isn't this exactly what the parking sensors are for. You park once perfectly then note the sensor distance.

Like for myself, it's 2 bars on the front right (to my roller cabinet) and one bar on the left to the back of my garage. As soon as I get the second bar on the right, I know I'm deep enough to close the garage door, no ball, no line.
True, that makes sense in your case. I never pay close enough attention to the parking sensors unless I'm parking in a tight spot when I'm out and about.

In my case the parking sensor method wouldn't work, however, since I like to park as close as I can to the garage door so I have more room to walk around behind the car. My parking sensors only go off as I'm entering the garage (I always try to get the rear fender flare within a few inches of the garage door opening). Once I'm in, I don't get close enough to the back wall for it to beep at me. I get the front of the car within 3-5 inches of the garage door and have probably a good 4-5 feet of walking space behind the car.
Sponsored