Sponsored

Warranty, PRL high volume intake

Ab175

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2025 MT Integra, 2002 WRX
So, has anyone added this intake and had any significant issues? I saw a youtube video talk about getting an occasional CEL after installing this intake. Also wondering if this is reason enough to void the engine warranty.
Sponsored

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
No issues here. Haven't heard of any. His occasional cel might not have anything to do with the intake. Ghost codes pop up either with or without mods on this platform it seems. Happened to me about 3 times in the past year. Cleared the code and life went on.

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic Type R
You shouldn't get a CEL. If your engine blows up, just take the intake off and then to the dealer. They can try to void warranty by blaming it on the intake.

-Josh

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
If you mod and your engine goes boom...jmho...But thats on the "modder" not Acura...
I completely agree; however, most aren't willing to take responsibility for their actions which is why you see the prevalent "return the car to stock and take it to the dealer" talk track. In modifying the vehicle you accept the risk of anything that goes wrong related to the modification. Pay to play and that...

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
If there's a shred of evidence that anything was modified they'll probably find it. As far as anyone is aware, these engines don't tend to pop very frequently so there will probably be a fine-tooth comb applied to any that do. A stretched hose, a stripped bolt or screw, broken or missing clips- they'll flunk you.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I had some weird codes the day after the install, engine misfire in cylinder 4 and 3 and MAF error. Noticed some pooling of filter oil in the bottom of the HVI. Cleared codes and good to go. Think I sucked in a smidge of the filter oil.
FYI, my filter was soaked in oil, and I didn’t let it sit overnight to air out of the plastic bag.
I did get another code this week. Code 100 ECU not present. which was weird. Cleared it and everything is back to normal again.. 8500 miles on mine and I have had to clear codes a few times before I even added any bolt-ons.. probably 5 or 6 times total.

vsmadrigal

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra, 2016 Fusion, 2016 Lexus
So, has anyone added this intake and had any significant issues? I saw a youtube video talk about getting an occasional CEL after installing this intake. Also wondering if this is reason enough to void the engine warranty.
Yes, it will void your warranty if you take it to the dealership non-stock. Put the original back on before going to the dealer for any reason. Even an oil change. You might just get the hyper attentive tech that will note it on the repair order.

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Type S , 2003 Evo, 2018 AMG E63s
If there's a shred of evidence that anything was modified they'll probably find it. As far as anyone is aware, these engines don't tend to pop very frequently so there will probably be a fine-tooth comb applied to any that do. A stretched hose, a stripped bolt or screw, broken or missing clips- they'll flunk you.
What? So basically mod or not modded your car can't be touch under the hood? Caus a stripped bolt or missing clip implies modification ? Lol.

Anyways. They have to prove that the modification directly impacted the failure. It's better not to go this route. Either don't mod it or keep the mods to a bare minimum in case something goes wrong and you can revert it to stock. I wouldn't go beyond intake or cat back exhaust if your worried about voiding warranty.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What? So basically mod or not modded your car can't be touch under the hood? Caus a stripped bolt or missing clip implies modification ? Lol.

Anyways. They have to prove that the modification directly impacted the failure. It's better not to go this route. Either don't mod it or keep the mods to a bare minimum in case something goes wrong and you can revert it to stock. I wouldn't go beyond intake or cat back exhaust if your worried about voiding warranty.
Lol all you want. I think it's safe to assume this. I know the "burden of proof" is supposedly on the dealer, but how often does that actually work, in practice? The bleak reality is that dealers basically get away with whatever they want in this country.

Just think about what business your average Joe Consumer would have poking around under the hood on a brand new car in the first place? Now evaluate that through the lens of a dealer looking at a car with a blown engine. I already mentioned catastrophic engine failure doesn't happen very often on these, right? If "reverting back to stock" leaves any evidence whatsoever, good luck.

As far as "bare minimum", I'd go as far as to say that an intake would be a risk. Exhaust I don't see it; if it's downstream from the cat there's no way to attribute that to an engine failure IMO* (*but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer tried to claim this...).

But from a strictly scientific perspective, could you truly claim that an intake could not lead to an engine failure? An intercooler? Aftermarket radiator?

All of this is of course on a case-by-case basis. So we're discussing a world of hypotheticals. With that being the case, reasonable logic dictates assuming a "worst-case scenario". I think all of the above are fair game (sans cat-back exhaust). So "revert back to stock" at your own risk.

Sponsored

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lol all you want. I think it's safe to assume this. I know the "burden of proof" is supposedly on the dealer, but how often does that actually work, in practice? The bleak reality is that dealers basically get away with whatever they want in this country.

Just think about what business your average Joe Consumer would have poking around under the hood on a brand new car in the first place? Now evaluate that through the lens of a dealer looking at a car with a blown engine. I already mentioned catastrophic engine failure doesn't happen very often on these, right? If "reverting back to stock" leaves any evidence whatsoever, good luck.

As far as "bare minimum", I'd go as far as to say that an intake would be a risk. Exhaust I don't see it; if it's downstream from the cat there's no way to attribute that to an engine failure IMO* (*but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer tried to claim this...).

But from a strictly scientific perspective, could you truly claim that an intake could not lead to an engine failure? An intercooler? Aftermarket radiator?

All of this is of course on a case-by-case basis. So we're discussing a world of hypotheticals. With that being the case, reasonable logic dictates assuming a "worst-case scenario". I think all of the above are fair game (sans cat-back exhaust). So "revert back to stock" at your own risk.
You have the right to bring your car to any certified mechanic for work. You don't have to go to the dealer for anything period. Which will not void your warranty. Most people including myself don't go to the dealership for anything unless it's warranty related.

I bought my amg e63s straight from mercedes. It was a certified used vehicle and I bought the extended warranty. My 3rd party mechanic found they never preformed the transmission flush they were supposed to as a 30k mile vehicle, the passenger side panel that leads to the air filters all the clips were cracked and a previous. person tried to glue it back together.

Guess who paid for a new panel and the transmission service that my 3rd party mechanic performed ? Mercedes.. Alot of us don't go to the dealer unless it's warranty claims. Keeping a stock car and servicing it somewhere else in fear of dealership warranty void is some silly thinking.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You have the right to bring your car to any certified mechanic for work. You don't have to go to the dealer for anything period. Which will not void your warranty. Most people including myself don't go to the dealership for anything unless it's warranty related.

I bought my amg e63s straight from mercedes. It was a certified used vehicle and I bought the extended warranty. My 3rd party mechanic found they never preformed the transmission flush they were supposed to as a 30k mile vehicle, the passenger side panel that leads to the air filters all the clips were cracked and a previous. person tried to glue it back together.

Guess who paid for a new panel and the transmission service that my 3rd party mechanic performed ? Mercedes.. Alot of us don't go to the dealer unless it's warranty claims. Keeping a stock car and servicing it somewhere else in fear of dealership warranty void is some silly thinking.
You're going off in a completely irrelevant direction. I'm not talking about legitimate maintenance work by a 3rd party.

My point is that for those who think they can get away with modifying their car and "reverting to stock" if "something bad happens" are setting themselves up for failure.

Either mod and accept that it's likely on you in the unlikely event that things go south, or don't mod at all. This half-assed middle ground of assuming the dealer will have your back because of "your rights" is an incredibly silly way of thinking.

But you don't have to listen to me. I'm just a random asshole on the internet. It's your money, do what you want. Just understand that dealers have rights too.

Evolving_e63

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're going off in a completely irrelevant direction.

My point is that for those who think they can get away with modifying their car and "reverting to stock" if "something bad happens" are setting themselves up for failure.

Either mod and accept that it's likely on you in the unlikely event that things go south, or don't mod at all. This half-assed middle ground of assuming the dealer will have your back because of "your rights" is an incredibly silly way of thinking.
I agree with you on the modifications. But you made it pretty clear on previous posts that unless the dealer touches it or they find "lose bolts or stretched hoses or the avg joe consumer" they'll use things like that to void the warranty. But I agree with you. Mod it and be prepared to suffer the consequences.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree with you on the modifications. But you made it pretty clear on previous posts that unless the dealer touches it or they find "lose bolts or stretched hoses or the avg joe consumer" they'll use things like that to void the warranty. But I agree with you. Mod it and be prepared to suffer the consequences.
Yeah that was my only real point, is to dissuade this apparently prevalent philosophy that you can do whatever you want to your car and just take off all the mods if it blows up and the dealer will be none the wiser, and that's just dumb.

But honestly, while we're on the topic- if your engine goes and someone else was working on it, expect them to try to use that to skate out of a warranty repair too. But it's not the same discussion. That would just be such a fringe case it's not really worth talking about- unless whoever did the work made a mistake, and that's a whole OTHER discussion.

TL;DR- never trust dealers to just "do the right thing", and don't mod if you're not prepared to accept the consequences.
Sponsored