Sponsored

Rear seat swap between A-Spec and Type-S?

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
The seating capacity is limited by the load rating of the tires. There is a Tire and Loading Information Label in the door jamb that calls out the number of occupants and cargo capacity. This information feeds into the calculation of the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (maximum allowable weight of vehicle, ccupants, and cargo), which is on the certification label (VIN label).

Running with 5 people in the vehicle will likely exceed the load capacity of the tires, so that should be considered before swapping the rear seats.
I'm replacing the PS4S with DWS06+ 275/30/19 which has a 96Y load rating vs the 93Y. Increases load capacity by 130lbs a tire.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kdevane

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Greetings, everyone.

I thought I would share my experience with swapping out the A-Spec rear seats with the stock Type S rear seats. I hope this will help anyone considering doing the swap.

First, if you know someone with an A-Spec willing to swap, the process is much easier and cost-effective. I was quoted a few hundred dollars for labor at my local Acura dealer where I bought my Type S. I knew someone who has an A-Spec and was willing to do so, but realized the practicality of their rear seats before we sealed the deal and decided to keep theirs, so I turned to plan B (ordering the A-Spec parts).

The folks at McGrath Acura were very helpful in getting all the necessary A-Spec rear seat parts, as shown in the pictures. The "List" column on the invoice is the original price, and the "Net" column is the price after a discount I received (please note that the last row is for the heated steering wheel I also ordered):
A-Spec Rear Seat Swap Invoice.jpeg

Here is another document I received detailing all the parts:
A-Spec Rear Seat Parts List 1.jpeg

A-Spec Rear Seat Parts List 2.jpeg

The labor ended up being an additional $1,100 to assemble the parts and install them, so this swap ended up being around $2,400 at the end of the day ($1,300 parts, $1,100 labor).

There is no seatbelt for now, since retrofitting one would be very costly, according to the technician. At least it is technically possible. That being said, a fifth person can now sit in the middle fairly comfortably (I tried it, and I am 6'0" tall) and not have to sit on the stock cupholders . In addition, the rear passengers gain an armrest when a fifth person is not present.

I also asked a finance gentleman and he let me know that doing this does not affect the warranty at all, especially if it is done at an Acura dealer. As for the issue of legality and insurance, I would defer to a legal expert and each person's insurance company. I just wanted to share the technical process of doing this swap.

Here is the final result:
A-Spec Rear Seat.jpeg

A-Spec Rear Seat Cupholders.jpeg

Here are the parts that came off, which I kept:
Stock Type S Rear Seat.jpeg

This is my first post in this forum, so just for fun, here is also the exterior of my white ITS I purchased back in September 2023:
Back.jpeg

Front.jpeg

Please feel free to leave any questions regarding my experience with the swap, and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks!

Compromise

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
The labor ended up being an additional $1,100 to assemble the parts and install them, so this swap ended up being around $2,400 at the end of the day ($1,300 parts, $1,100 labor).
Thanks for documenting everything! I would really want to do this BUT MAN! That $2400 dollars just so my occasional rear occupants can have an arm rest.. gotta think about this lol.

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
$2400 and they made excuses about the third seatbelt? Isn't the point of the swap to fit five people?

@Integra23 doesn't yours have a middle seatbelt and you DIY'd in a parking lot

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
$2400 and they made excuses about the third seatbelt? Isn't the point of the swap to fit five people?

@Integra23 doesn't yours have a middle seatbelt and you DIY'd in a parking lot
Yeah. It's baked in the middle seat and all you need is a $40 dual buckle that replaced the existing.

Sponsored

kdevane

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Yeah. It's baked in the middle seat and all you need is a $40 dual buckle that replaced the existing.
@Integra23 Thanks for sharing! Looks like I will be DIY'ing the rest of it to get the seatbelt. Would you mind please sharing more granular details on how you accomplished it?

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
$1,100 in labor?!? Wow, talk about swimming in it. From what I’ve seen, it just takes a few minutes to do. Plus they didn’t even include the seatbelt, so what’s the point of the swap? I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable having someone sit back there without a belt.

izy504

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT, 2007 Saab 9-7x
If someone in Wisconsin or near to it would like to swap rear seats let me know! I have an Aspec with red interior and have barely ever had more than 1 passenger in my car at a time. I feel no need for 3 seats in back.

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Stanger
$1,100 in labor?!? Wow, talk about swimming in it. From what I’ve seen, it just takes a few minutes to do. Plus they didn’t even include the seatbelt, so what’s the point of the swap? I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable having someone sit back there without a belt.
A bit pricey for removing and reinstalling 6 bolts. I did it at the dealership parking lot in under 30 mins.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
@Integra23 Thanks for sharing! Looks like I will be DIY'ing the rest of it to get the seatbelt. Would you mind please sharing more granular details on how you accomplished it?
Just buy this 04823-3S5-A01ZA.
Remove bench, one screw on driver side and white clips on both sides that you pull to release. Then remove the existing latch that's held in with one bolt. Swap over the second Buckle to this bolt. They have the bracket on our car that doesn't have the latch attached so toss that out. Reinstall and your done.

Sponsored

Silver_Slug

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS on order
Just buy this 04823-3S5-A01ZA.
Remove bench, one screw on driver side and white clips on both sides that you pull to release. Then remove the existing latch that's held in with one bolt. Swap over the second Buckle to this bolt. They have the bracket on our car that doesn't have the latch attached so toss that out. Reinstall and your done.
I used this as a guideline as well for my swap. It was really straight forward using all OE hardware and Mount points. The new buckle even comes with instructions and torque values for the bolts.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Greetings, everyone.

I thought I would share my experience with swapping out the A-Spec rear seats with the stock Type S rear seats. I hope this will help anyone considering doing the swap.

First, if you know someone with an A-Spec willing to swap, the process is much easier and cost-effective. I was quoted a few hundred dollars for labor at my local Acura dealer where I bought my Type S. I knew someone who has an A-Spec and was willing to do so, but realized the practicality of their rear seats before we sealed the deal and decided to keep theirs, so I turned to plan B (ordering the A-Spec parts).

The folks at McGrath Acura were very helpful in getting all the necessary A-Spec rear seat parts, as shown in the pictures. The "List" column on the invoice is the original price, and the "Net" column is the price after a discount I received (please note that the last row is for the heated steering wheel I also ordered):

There is no seatbelt for now, since retrofitting one would be very costly, according to the technician. At least it is technically possible. That being said, a fifth person can now sit in the middle fairly comfortably (I tried it, and I am 6'0" tall) and not have to sit on the stock cupholders . In addition, the rear passengers gain an armrest when a fifth person is not present.

I also asked a finance gentleman and he let me know that doing this does not affect the warranty at all, especially if it is done at an Acura dealer. As for the issue of legality and insurance, I would defer to a legal expert and each person's insurance company. I just wanted to share the technical process of doing this swap.

A-Spec Rear Seat.jpeg

A-Spec Rear Seat Cupholders.jpeg

Here are the parts that came off, which I kept:
Stock Type S Rear Seat.jpeg

This is my first post in this forum, so just for fun, here is also the exterior of my white ITS I purchased back in September 2023:
Back.jpeg

Front.jpeg

Please feel free to leave any questions regarding my experience with the swap, and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks!
I did the seat conversion and have provided a PDF guide for all who are interested. This quick guide is intended to help anyone do the Acura Integra Type S rear seat conversion that will comfortably seat three. Please not the door jamb load rating is 680lbs., it would be a good idea to get a written acceptance from your insurance company that you’ll be covered. Please follow along.
Here it is:

View attachment Integra Type-S-seat conversion.pdf

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Greetings, everyone.

A-Spec Rear Seat.jpeg
I’ve had a few people message me about parts and install. You likely didn’t know at the time but just thought I’d point it out for people who plan to do this in the future.

the most cost effective way of doing the swap is to purchase only the seat bench and the 60% seat back components. The seatbelt is embedded within the 60% seats. You need only purchase a new center seatbelt buckle and then plug it into the correct sensor wires.

in my guide I didn’t touch the 40% portion at all and left it in place. No color match issues.

hopefully this will save everyone some money if buying the parts separately and building at home. Assembly of parts and installation is very simple to do. Please contact me for any questions

Nivek2slick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra type s
Stanger

A bit pricey for removing and reinstalling 6 bolts. I did it at the dealership parking lot in under 30 mins.
I can just imagine the salesman trying to sell a 4 seater aspec now like this is a special edition. And so forth and the customer will never know
Sponsored