Sponsored

Bad ceramic coating job? Would appreciate your insight!

toffo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Integra A-Spec MT
Bought a new Integra last week and it came pre-coated with a ceramic coating. Woke up to a slightly frosty morning today and I see frosty patches on the hood, roof, and rest of the car.

I'm now wondering if its just the frost or if this could be because of a bad ceramic coat job. Some insight is really appreciated here.

Is there a good way to tell if the ceramic coating has been applied effectively before I go kick up a fuss with my dealer?

Thanks!

IMG_1063.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg
Sponsored

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
the coating from dealership is crap and noit long lasting, couple months at best

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
Bought a new Integra last week and it came pre-coated with a ceramic coating. Woke up to a slightly frosty morning today and I see frosty patches on the hood, roof, and rest of the car.

I'm now wondering if its just the frost or if this could be because of a bad ceramic coat job. Some insight is really appreciated here.

Is there a good way to tell if the ceramic coating has been applied effectively before I go kick up a fuss with my dealer?

Thanks!

IMG_1063.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg
As Bao said; dealership ceramic coating is likely a LITE ceramic coating and is not as long lasting as the coatings that are applied and cured under UV, etc by other companies who do detail, ppf, wrapping and ceramic coating etc.

Once this coating stops working, just have a reputable shop give it a stage 1 correction and polish and apply a ceramic coating then. My dealership works with a local company that does the work and they luckily offer a loaner Acura until the car is done the application and curing processes. They were quoting me about a thousand bucks or so to have it done but is a higher quality coating that would last around 3-4 good years.
I just got a lite ceramic coating applied to my car two weeks ago to get me through this winter.

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
Then again, with your car being so new and ceramic coating applied pre purchase, it could just be an effect with frozen water upon a water-resistant surface and the physics of all that. Unfortaunely, Iā€™m no physicist šŸ˜¢ lol

Iā€™ll be sure to check my car this winter and see if this happens on mine too with my coating. Iā€™d say so long as when it rains the water still beads up and rolls off everywhere, especially in those spots, you should be alright and just a weird albeit harmless, effect šŸ¤™

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
That the weirdest looking frost I've ever seen, especially the streaky lines going front to back. It could be the coating they used was spray-on and those parts got more of it, or it wasn't prepped properly and they got less. I'd let your dealer show them to whoever did it and see what they say. I'm guessing denial. Either way I hope they didn't charge much.

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Without a degree in chemistry, I don't think anyone on this forum will be able to answer this question. The way water freezes on different substrates is complicated and probably not anything to get strung out about.

Now, if there are obvious "high spots" when it's dry, or water not beading effectively, or smudges, etc., then you may start to wonder if it's a crap job. But I let myself get talked into a dealer-applied coating a couple years ago and it wasn't half-bad.

None of this crap lasts "4 years" anyway, I don't care what anyone says. Nor should you want it to. Maybe water will bead on it for 18-24 months, but it will not look as good as it did when it was first applied, I promise you. Technology for these coatings has advanced from a few years ago; theyr'e cheaper and easier to apply so it's exactly the same as applying wax the way anyone born before 2000 has done with their cars for years.

Or you can pay over a grand to have someone convince you it will last forever, it's your money.

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
yes agreed ceramic labor is a scam is actually way easier than applying wax, the only real labor is paint correction

dmd2005

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10 Tundra, 18 Tesla M3P & 21 MYP, 18 FK8, 24 ITS
Best way to test a coating is to wash the car and see if the water beads off the surface. No beading or uneven areas that donā€™t bead means a poorly applied coating or poor product.

If there are any hazy areas after a wash, the ceramic coating has flashed during application and needs to be polished off. Just my experience with applying ceramic coats as a DYI enthusiast.

OP
OP
toffo

toffo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Integra A-Spec MT
Ok, did some more research and experimentation. Really appreciate everyone chiming in too.

I called my dealer up and confirmed that the car was indeed sent to a detailing shop to get a coat done - maybe not the best quality but definitely good enough to last a while before getting it done professionally again.

Sprayed the car with some water once it got a little warmer and the water does bead off like it should for a ceramic coated car - no hazy areas like dmd2005 mentioned either, so that's all clear.

Chemist friend of mine said that the frost patches occur around tiny particles stuck on the car (dirt, oil, water droplets etc) and radiate out, so this was most likely why I saw these patches on a frosty morning.

Its wintertime here, so my plans are to run with this coating until summer and then get it professionally coated, and PPFed.
Sponsored