Sponsored

Buying used integra: windshield repair

Ab175

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2025 MT Integra, 2002 WRX
Hello everyone,

I am shopping for a manual integra A-spec. I have found one (used) that suits all my requirements perfectly and the price is right for me. The only problem is that the windshield is cracked beyond repair, and is being replaced by the selling dealer using safelite. This dealer is out of state to me, so it’s difficult for me to thoroughly inspect the quality of the work. Has anyone had experience with safelite on the integra, and whether I should expect/check for specific issues?

thanks
Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I wouldn't worry about that at all. If the install is crap just have them do it over. It basically shouldn't even be noticeable.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I haven't experienced this personally but I've seen quite a few posts on this topic.

There's a camera above the rearview that supposedly needs to be calibrated when replacing the windshield. I'd do a thorough test of the safety systems, in particular adaptive cruise and lane keep assist, and make sure they're working properly.

There was also mention of the heads up display so I guess make sure you can still see it and it's positioned in a comfortable spot?

OP
OP

Ab175

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wouldn't worry about that at all. If the install is crap just have them do it over. It basically shouldn't even be noticeable.
The problem is I am out of state, so it’s hard for me to check if the install is crap or not until I am there, at which point waiting for them to replace the windshield again will complicate things. I’m thinking a FaceTime call to verify everything seems ok before going there will probably be the first step.

OP
OP

Ab175

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I haven't experienced this personally but I've seen quite a few posts on this topic.

There's a camera above the rearview that supposedly needs to be calibrated when replacing the windshield. I'd do a thorough test of the safety systems, in particular adaptive cruise and lane keep assist, and make sure they're working properly.

There was also mention of the heads up display so I guess make sure you can still see it and it's positioned in a comfortable spot?
I’ve read two things. Some say the calibration can either be done and work fine, or it won’t work at all and the car will throw warnings, and others say that it can be slightly off and cause issues. The latter situation is what I am more worried about. Will check everything thoroughly, hopefully it’s all good.

Sponsored

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Actually the most important thing is that you get the actual Honda Acura OEM windshield. Do not let them install some third-party made windshield as the components of the windshield are important to the design of the car in both functionality, fitment, sound insulation, etc. If it is the OEM windshield there is always a label stamp on the glass that you can verify.

OP
OP

Ab175

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Actually the most important thing is that you get the actual Honda Acura OEM windshield. Do not let them install some third-party made windshield as the components of the windshield are important to the design of the car in both functionality, fitment, sound insulation, etc. If it is the OEM windshield there is always a label stamp on the glass that you can verify.
I have informed them of my preference for OEM glass. They say they will try, but it depends on availability etc.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
I have informed them of my preference for OEM glass. They say they will try, but it depends on availability etc.
Personally I would go elsewhere if they cannot. It can really affect resale value and ability. Check out this video at 16:40:

OP
OP

Ab175

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wow, that makes me more nervous about getting the car. Really hoping the replacement goes smoothly. It is safelite doing the replacement so ideally they would stand by their work, but they also state on their website their warranty does not transfer between owners.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Maybe you should have them sell you the car, then pay you for the windshield replacement, then you would be the owner when they do the work.

Sponsored

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Aspec 6MT Platinum White Pearl/Orchid
I had Safelite replace my '22 Si windshield, but they had to do it 3 times! First one had a blemish just off center in my eyeline. Second one lasted 2-3 months before the rearview mirror mount fell off. Pretty sure the 3rd was a higher quality replacement (Possibly OEM). Never had any trouble with that one. All the calibrations were fine each time, never had any issues there.

OP
OP

Ab175

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had Safelite replace my '22 Si windshield, but they had to do it 3 times! First one had a blemish just off center in my eyeline. Second one lasted 2-3 months before the rearview mirror mount fell off. Pretty sure the 3rd was a higher quality replacement (Possibly OEM). Never had any trouble with that one. All the calibrations were fine each time, never had any issues there.
Wow… I wonder how often they get it right first time. Anyone else have stories with safelite?

acurax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
My prior TLX had a non-OEM windshield installed which caused the cover over the base of the mirror, rain sensor, & camera to come loose. Even though the brand was the same that Acura/Honda use for OEM windshields. Apparently, it was a very common issue.
Sponsored