VIR on Monday

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I've always completely eaten the gator on the first right of the esses. I mean eat it like car over the dirt as I'm about to touch it. If possible that is. I also coast a bit to bring down the speed before the jump. Just can't bring myself to hit the jump at 120. In the Stinger it was easier to take. car was so heavy it always felt more planted. I ran that car solely on pS4S tires too, but really didn't dabble in the sub 2:20 range too much. Maybe a 2:19 a few times but I could make up speed in the straights and corner a bit slower. Tires were 275's rear and 245's front. Car weighed in around 3800lbs (with weight reduction measures)

@RamVA, do you think the Integra would be just as fast not touching any of the gators, especially on regular summer tires? How about on 200 TW tires?

2:19 in the Stinger...

Sponsored

Last edited:

RamVA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beat, Acty, Integra Type-S, Motocompacto
I've always completely eaten the gator on the first right of the esses. I mean eat it like car over the dirt as I'm about to touch it. If possible that is. I also coast a bit to bring down the speed before the jump. Just can't bring myself to hit the jump at 120. In the Stinger it was easier to take. car was so heavy it always felt more planted. I ran that car solely on pS4S tires too, but really didn't dabble in the sub 2:20 range too much. Maybe a 2:19 a few times but I could make up speed in the straights and corner a bit slower. Tires were 275's rear and 245's front. Car weighed in around 3800lbs (with weight reduction measures)

@RamVA, do you think the Integra would be just as fast not touching any of the gators, especially on regular summer tires? How about on 200 TW tires?
I don't know, but I have some thoughts:

1) I don't think it matters what tires you're using. All seasons or slicks, all the same.
2) It's definitely faster to use the gators, because you're making the track wider. I just don't do it because it's hard on the car and I don't want to replace wheel bearings every season and a half. Maybe I'm too conservative. The only place I use it is 16a, but of course if I screw something I'm not averse to using the gator to fix it. And if I need it get past someone.
3) I think the bigger issue is you have to go around the esses, don't straighten them out. Make the track wider with the gators if you like, but you still need to late apex all of them, or else you will be slow at 9 and hence the entry to 10.
4) Slightly straighten the wheel over the jump, and then you should be on the throttle from there to 10.

I will also say, though you did not ask, that I think you're entering the esses too fast (in your video) and that's costing you time. Also, you should be on throttle between 9 and 10, not coasting.

Others may disagree, but that's what I got.

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I appreciate the response very much. I've definitely seen some of the faster/higher grip cars completely avoiding gators in the esses. Cars like GT3's, ZL1's, Corvette's and the like. Heck one of my instructors has a Miata and he doesn't touch them either, but he has 100TW tires and major suspension mods. In my mind I thought cars with more grip could drive "around" the esses better than cars with lower grip.

I'll have to try the late Apex bit through there and see how it goes. Perhaps a little less speed will help me not feel like I have to straighten the whole thing out as much. Frequently I feel like I'm early on 9, which means I have to move the car back over for 10. It's all coming kind of fast and I feel like the quick move back to the right causes the car's momentum to shift right as you're starting to brake for turn 10, which makes the car feel unsettled. A later apex on 9 will help this dramatically. It's definitely a tough sequence for me to get right.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast, right?

I got you on number 4, although in practice it's uncomfortable adding enough throttle not to lose speed going up the hill. Perhaps going in at 110 mph and then holding speed all the way through 9 will be a better bet. I need to slow down a bit and focus on line, car control and maintaining speed.

So much to learn.

Again, love the constructive feedback.

RamVA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beat, Acty, Integra Type-S, Motocompacto
I appreciate the response very much. I've definitely seen some of the faster/higher grip cars completely avoiding gators in the esses. Cars like GT3's, ZL1's, Corvette's and the like. Heck one of my instructors has a Miata and he doesn't touch them either, but he has 100TW tires and major suspension mods. In my mind I thought cars with more grip could drive "around" the esses better than cars with lower grip.

I'll have to try the late Apex bit through there and see how it goes. Perhaps a little less speed will help me not feel like I have to straighten the whole thing out as much. Frequently I feel like I'm early on 9, which means I have to move the car back over for 10. It's all coming kind of fast and I feel like the quick move back to the right causes the car's momentum to shift right as you're starting to brake for turn 10, which makes the car feel unsettled. A later apex on 9 will help this dramatically. It's definitely a tough sequence for me to get right.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast, right?

I got you on number 4, although in practice it's uncomfortable adding enough throttle not to lose speed going up the hill. Perhaps going in at 110 mph and then holding speed all the way through 9 will be a better bet. I need to slow down a bit and focus on line, car control and maintaining speed.

So much to learn.

Again, love the constructive feedback.
I have not driven the car on track at all, but letting it drop to 110 sounds about right. It'll slow down from there to the jump, and then just feed in as much throttle as you can (but definitely a lot). I wouldn't focus on the speed, I'd focus on the grip, and you want to be flat over the top after 9, which is why you don't want to straighten out the first few turns - it just puts you out of position in 9-10.

Once you screw up one turn in the esses, you've screwed up the rest.
Sponsored