Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Good stuff, thanks for the detailed updates. As you point out, and as I just detailed in the thread I wish I didn't have to make yesterday, the most "fun" to be had at these events is the drive home, with your car in one piece.

And another great point about being honest and realistic about your fatigue and focus as sessions/days start to wear you down. I know I'm no spring chicken anymore- maybe in my 20s I could maintain the level of mental and physical awareness you need to stay focused during a 20+ minute session on a racetrack for a full 8 hour day or longer... but I'm just not there anymore. I'm usually content to leave at lunchtime on 1 day events. And while I used to think I was cheating myself, I've since pretty much doubled down on this philosophy. I won't even consider multi-day events, not anytime soon at least.

The only "criticism" you'll get from me is I think I've also doubled down on my concept of minimal modifications. Your experience is starting to echo mine from when I had a 2015 STI. It seemed that the more I tried to make the car "better", the more problems cropped up that I feel never would have been a problem had I just left it alone in the first place. I know there's a certain amount of "necessary" modification for things to survive on track- brakes being one- but I can't help but feel all of your issues could be attributed to things you've done to the car since delivery.

Also- when it starts to feel like work is the line I draw where it starts severely stripping the fun away. I personally don't feel like I have the time or energy to swap pads and bleed lines before every event. So I've come to the conclusion that autocross (as dangerous as it's become lately...) is almost just as enjoyable, far less expensive and far less headache than "big boy" track days.

My time at Dominion last year was fun. I called it quits at 2 sessions and the car survived beautifully. It was a legit good time. That's all I need out of this thing. I'll probably try Summit again at some point, but driving 6 hours out to VIR I just don't think is ever gonna be in the cards for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
StingertimeNC

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Thanks for the comments. Agree on all of it I think. The only mod that may be questionable at all is the JB4. Although it's just a bit of extra boost, with the factory ECU still running the show otherwise. 4 lbs of boost is not a ton, but may be enough to cause the P0087 code. Although, others have experienced other limp mode issues in stock form, not sure how many of those were the P0087, but a true ecu tune may be a better bet if you want to push it on the track. However, If I can't get remotely close to the limit the car in stock form, then it seems there's no need for further mods. The car's great for all other driving needs and really is all that one can even come remotely close to exploiting on public roads.

The fun, friends I've made, and experiences I've had, because of the track, make it all worth it though. Plus it's cool to understand vehicle dynamics a bit better.

Speaking of experiences, my friend has a C8 Vette and it's a monster on the track. I was blown away by it's track chops. He was running Sport Cup 2 R's though. Grip was unreal.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the comments. Agree on all of it I think. The only mod that may be questionable at all is the JB4. Although it's just a bit of extra boost, with the factory ECU still running the show otherwise. 4 lbs of boost is not a ton, but may be enough to cause the P0087 code. Although, others have experienced other limp mode issues in stock form, not sure how many of those were the P0087, but a true ecu tune may be a better bet if you want to push it on the track. However, If I can't get remotely close to the limit the car in stock form, then it seems there's no need for further mods. The car's great for all other driving needs and really is all that one can even come remotely close to exploiting on public roads.

The fun, friends I've made, and experiences I've had, because of the track, make it all worth it though. Plus it's cool to understand vehicle dynamics a bit better.

Speaking of experiences, my friend has a C8 Vette and it's a monster on the track. I was blown away by it's track chops. He was running Sport Cup 2 R's though. Grip was unreal.
Ah, tires make a WORLD of difference though! And yes, the C8 is a faster car, on a track like VIR the ITS is not in the same universe. "Comparison is the thief of joy". If I wanted a vette I'd have bought a vette. Other than top down cruises in perfect weather, I don't like them lol. The aesthetics and driving dynamics are just not my speed. But I can't argue against their capabilities, especially at the price point relative to much more expensive cars.

I like the Z06 but just because of how it sounds. My first experience with one was at this autocross school this past weekend. Reviewers are not lying, it sounds like a race car. But it's just so big and gaudy in person. The "highlighter yellow" this one was in didn't help it either. I would never own one, especially at what dealers are trying to get for them.

OP
OP
StingertimeNC

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I know, I thought I was one of those never own a vette guys, but the C8 finally has a passable interior, and it just blew me away on the track. I recently drove a c7 and was kind of like meh, but I do like the way the look as well. Agree, they feel big and clunky, but they are also capable.

I love that quote, "Comparison is the thief of Joy" So true!!

One of my other track friends got a C8 Z06 since the last time I was at the track, and holy crap that thing is a beast and does sound amazing. Didn't get to catch a ride in it since we're in the same run group but will have to try next time.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Ah, tires make a WORLD of difference though! And yes, the C8 is a faster car, on a track like VIR the ITS is not in the same universe. "Comparison is the thief of joy". If I wanted a vette I'd have bought a vette. Other than top down cruises in perfect weather, I don't like them lol. The aesthetics and driving dynamics are just not my speed. But I can't argue against their capabilities, especially at the price point relative to much more expensive cars.

I like the Z06 but just because of how it sounds. My first experience with one was at this autocross school this past weekend. Reviewers are not lying, it sounds like a race car. But it's just so big and gaudy in person. The "highlighter yellow" this one was in didn't help it either. I would never own one, especially at what dealers are trying to get for them.
If the base 1LT of the first year C8 had a manual transmission for it's then asking price of $59,995, I'd have bought one in a heartbeat. What a bargain. And the thought of doing it with the Museum Delivery and driving it home, how fun.

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If the base 1LT of the first year C8 had a manual transmission for it's then asking price of $59,995, I'd have bought one in a heartbeat. What a bargain. And the thought of doing it with the Museum Delivery and driving it home, how fun.
Yeah I would have at least considered a C8 had it been available in manual.

Same with the Audi RS3, and Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio.

NoVA_Teggy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS, 2023 MDX Adv
The problem with the C8 is that it's* just too big and heavy. I would have considered it if it had 3 pedals, but I'd rather have a Cayman or 911, which both come in a lot lighter on the scales.

With all the enthusiasm around the CTR and ITS, I can only hope that Honda continues to invest in these cars. Crystal ball says the Prelude will come with a hybrid manual option, and being that the Prelude was frequently been a test platform for features that make their way into other Honda/Acura products (4WS, FWD SH which later became -> SH-AWD, digital gauges, etc.), I really hope we get a hybrid AWD ITS in a few years.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Not Integra23
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
The problem with the C8 is that just too big and heavy. I would have considered it if it had 3 pedals, but I'd rather have a Cayman or 911, which both come in a lot lighter on the scales.

With all the enthusiasm around the CTR and ITS, I can only hope that Honda continues to invest in these cars. Crystal ball says the Prelude will come with a hybrid manual option, and being that the Prelude was frequently been a test platform for features that make their way into other Honda/Acura products (4WS, FWD SH which later became -> SH-AWD, digital gauges, etc.), I really hope we get a hybrid AWD ITS in a few years.
I think the current leak for the prelude puts it at 200hp or so. I'm hoping it's not a CRZ 2.0.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
The problem with the C8 is that just too big and heavy. I would have considered it if it had 3 pedals, but I'd rather have a Cayman or 911, which both come in a lot lighter on the scales.

I think there is a market for a slightly up sized GR 86/BRZ, at least from an interior standpoint. Amazingly the now discontinued Hyundai Veloster N had about the exact same length as today's Toyota/Subaru cousins, about 167", a WHOPPING 19" shorter than our beloved ITS. Yet it had a very usable backseat and hatchback with a very long wheelbase for its overall length.

Anyway, I guess for me this car I am imagining would be about 172" long, be a 2-door hatchback, have a somewhat usable backseat for the rare occasions of a third or fourth passenger, weigh no more than 3,100 lbs., a rear wheel drive platform with an ICE that includes a small electric motor for boost with about 300 horsepower and 290 ft lbs of torque that sounds amazing, a manual transmission of course that is every bit as good as our ITS, and our Acura Integra like interior but with even more luxury treatment.

Sponsored

NoVA_Teggy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS, 2023 MDX Adv
I think there is a market for a slightly up sized GR 86/BRZ, at least from an interior standpoint. Amazingly the now discontinued Hyundai Veloster N had about the exact same length as today's Toyota/Subaru cousins, about 167", a WHOPPING 19" shorter than our beloved ITS. Yet it had a very usable backseat and hatchback with a very long wheelbase for its overall length.

Anyway, I guess for me this car I am imagining would be about 172" long, be a 2-door hatchback, have a somewhat usable backseat for the rare occasions of a third or fourth passenger, weigh no more than 3,100 lbs., a rear wheel drive platform with an ICE that includes a small electric motor for boost with about 300 horsepower and 290 ft lbs of torque that sounds amazing, a manual transmission of course that is every bit as good as our ITS, and our Acura Integra like interior but with even more luxury treatment.
What you're describing would be a long wheelbase hardtop coupe S2000 successor branded as an Acura, and I absolutely would pay $65k for one if it existed.