Sponsored

As anyone actually traded their FL5 Type R for a DES Type s?

S4one

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type r
Any thoughts, pros and cons?
Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Pro all the way. The only upside to the FL5 is the wing and the fact that there are fewer of them. Oh and the seats (for some folks...) The rarity thing does hold a lot of water with me.

Integra is nicer looking inside and out, better stock exhaust setup by far, better suspension tuning for 99% of the use cases, including track use, better engine tuning with additional mid-range torque, better stereo, HUD, heated seats.

All that being said, If the type R would have arrived prior to the Type S, I would have bought it. My Type R arrived 4 weeks later, after about a 10 month wait. Too Late!

OP
OP

S4one

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type r
Thanks for the feedback. Just to confirm, did you actually own the Type R? Sounds like you passed and picked up the Type S.

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 RS3, 2023 Type R
If the Type S had the body and interior of the Type R I'd probably go for it. But I don't like how the Type S looks inside and out, I don't like the seats, I don't like the headroom in the back seats, I don't like the higher height of the hatch, I don't like that it's longer, and I prefer made in Japan. But that's all subjective and I know a lot of people prefer how the Type S looks.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Type R looks like a accord with a wing...but that look works for some people...I'm sure its a great daily driver just like the S...Dont over think these four door groceries getters...#grahm you like the type R looks so much why is it not your avatar...lets see that beaut

Sponsored

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I don't know that many would switch. I think the "Type-R" nameplate stirs people in a way "Type-S" does not. Also keep in mind that the Type-R is already relatively expensive in terms of hp / $, and it's a reach car for a lot of buyers. The Type-S, with its higher MSRP and creature comforts is marketed towards a slightly different audience. If you've spent your young years lusting after a Type-R, are focused on perf. over comfort, and are already stretching to get one, the Type-S is probably not something you'd pay more for -- perhaps even the same amount.

I disagree the Type-R is rarer. What we know of production numbers seems to indicate annual NA allocations for Type-Rs are similar to Type-S annual production numbers. Even if there is slightly higher Type-S production annually, we already have an entire year of Type-R production that the Type-S would have to catch up to, and that would take years. Certainly, worldwide, there are substantially more Type-Rs than Type-Ss. I believe NA only gets approx. 20% of Type-R production. So the reality is Type-Rs will be more common worldwide by a huge margin and likely more common in NA for at least a couple years -- albeit not by much, and I think we can expect overall NA production / allocation numbers to be similar when all is said and done.

Both cars are awesome. Mechanically, they are essentially the same. The Type-S has a marginally stiffer chassis, if you're chasing the best starting platform, $ aside, but it's something like 3-5%, so likely immaterial. It also has a more aggressive tune stock -- like up to 15 wheel hp and tq. The Type-R has stiffer rear springs, and the general consensus is it's overdamped (but if you want a Type-R and the dampers are the only thing giving you pause, just get one and swap the ITS damper module). The seats / dash are subjective, but I think generally the Type-R's are preferred (I prefer them).

Get what you want, and drive the shit out of it; be happy for your fellow XX5 owners, regardless of which platform you have, and take advantage of the perks of a shared platform (aftermarket development and driver experience).

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
There weren't enough threads on this topic already?

Who in their right mind would do this? If you already have a Type R, you probably paid ADM for it, and would be like flushing thousands of dollars down the toilet just to get a car that subjectively might look and feel slightly different from what you already have? I know some fools out there do crap like this for a color or trim level, so it's not out of the question but it's not a topic worthy of discussion IMO, especially since there are already SO MANY DISCUSSIONS on this topic.

It's a matter of preference, across the board. If you feel a strong pull towards one or the other, buy that one. If not, get the one you can get the best deal on. Case closed.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Thanks for the feedback. Just to confirm, did you actually own the Type R? Sounds like you passed and picked up the Type S.
I did not own a Type R. All of my feedback towards it is based on reviews and looks of course.

I love the type R, and I love the Type S. Wouldn't mind having them both! LOL.

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
There was someone who did this. I remember reading it. It might have been on the CivicXI forum. He had an FL5 and traded/sold it to get a DE5 instead as wanted the extra features and less aggressive seats for his daily. (I agree with this, seats are great for sport driving but after dailying my FK8 and how uncomfortable that became I’ll take the DE5 seats for everyday use, give me all the lumbar)

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
I don't know that many would switch. I think the "Type-R" nameplate stirs people in a way "Type-S" does not. Also keep in mind that the Type-R is already relatively expensive in terms of hp / $, and it's a reach car for a lot of buyers. The Type-S, with its higher MSRP and creature comforts is marketed towards a slightly different audience. If you've spent your young years lusting after a Type-R, are focused on perf. over comfort, and are already stretching to get one, the Type-S is probably not something you'd pay more for -- perhaps even the same amount.

I disagree the Type-R is rarer. What we know of production numbers seems to indicate annual NA allocations for Type-Rs are similar to Type-S annual production numbers. Even if there is slightly higher Type-S production annually, we already have an entire year of Type-R production that the Type-S would have to catch up to, and that would take years. Certainly, worldwide, there are substantially more Type-Rs than Type-Ss. I believe NA only gets approx. 20% of Type-R production. So the reality is Type-Rs will be more common worldwide by a huge margin and likely more common in NA for at least a couple years -- albeit not by much, and I think we can expect overall NA production / allocation numbers to be similar when all is said and done.

Both cars are awesome. Mechanically, they are essentially the same. The Type-S has a marginally stiffer chassis, if you're chasing the best starting platform, $ aside, but it's something like 3-5%, so likely immaterial. It also has a more aggressive tune stock -- like up to 15 wheel hp and tq. The Type-R has stiffer rear springs, and the general consensus is it's overdamped (but if you want a Type-R and the dampers are the only thing giving you pause, just get one and swap the ITS damper module). The seats / dash are subjective, but I think generally the Type-R's are preferred (I prefer them).

Get what you want, and drive the shit out of it; be happy for your fellow XX5 owners, regardless of which platform you have, and take advantage of the perks of a shared platform (aftermarket development and driver experience).
I did want the ITR for so many years. I would agree the Type-S name plate doesn't stir me the same way as a Type-R nameplate.

HOWEVER, the "INTEGRA" name stirs and tickles me in ways that "CIVIC" does not. But that's just me lol

Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I did want the ITR for so many years. I would agree the Type-S name plate doesn't stir me the same way as a Type-R nameplate.

HOWEVER, the "INTEGRA" name stirs and tickles me in ways that "CIVIC" does not. But that's just me lol
Exactly my thinking. I would have been happy with either but glad I got the ITS. Would have been cool if they just made the ITS the ITR! I would have been fine with two "Type R's" in the world.

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
Exactly my thinking. I would have been happy with either but glad I got the ITS. Would have been cool if they just made the ITS the ITR! I would have been fine with two "Type R's" in the world.
I mean the spiritually it is the new ITR, so dumb that Honda wouldn’t allow Acura to use at least for the DE5 or maybe Acura really wanted to differentiate more.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I grew up in the 90s too, and I could give two shits if it's an "S" or an "R" sticker.

What I do care about is styling, engineering, and tuning. For these two cars, the difference really only lies in styling and tuning.

Watching Zygrene's vid of the FL5 in the canyons made me confident in my choice. That bounciness in comfort mode is pretty ridiculous, but TYPE RRRRRRRR BRO!!!!1!