DMV Owners

braverlin

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
integra
Hi, I am planning to buy an ITS this weekend. I see that the car comes with OEM summer tires. For those owners who live in DC, Maryland and Virginia area, have you folks experienced any problems with your summer tires during winter months? Or do you guys switch to all season tires?

I also read somewhere that summer tires shouldn’t be used when the temperature outside goes below 45 degree. Anyone cares to share your experience on this point?

Lastly, could I ask the dealer to swap the tires to all season when I buy the car? You guys recommend this or no?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me
Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I live in NC, so I can get away with summer tires. I've definitely driven on them in 30 degree weather, although I take it very easy. I've even been on track in low 30 degree weather with them.

I would not want to drive them all winter in the DMV area though, and definitely not in snow. In the cold you have to take it super easy and let the tires warm up. Best to avoid any sub freezing temps too.

If I lived there now, and this was me, I would have all season tires put on the stock rims, and keep the tires in the hopes of swapping them back on, or best case get another set of wheels just for the winter. Something cheaper yet functional. Maybe a package from tire rack or something.

NOVABlueyITS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Acura MDX Tech
I'm in NOVA and I bought last December. I swapped mine out ASAP for all seasons as I left uneasy about driving on the OEM in the freezing temps. I did drive a few times in the 30s but we had several days in the 20s where I didn't even try.

It could be worth working that into your deal if they have tires on hand they can swap out for you that you like. I wasn't able to do that since they had to special order them. The dealership had a promo going for buy 3 and get 1 free at the time.... So it evened out a bit after I sold the OEMs.

OP
OP

braverlin

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
integra
That’s very helpful thanks. I have a jeep wrangler which I can use during the wintry condition but I am sure ITS would be like a puppy begging me to take him out for a walk. I love how ITS drives that I would just feel too tempted to take it out.

AsianEd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra TypeS
I live in North Carolina, where I can typically get away with summer tires year-round. However, there are a few situations that get sketchy.

On cold days (sub 40), the tires struggle to warm up. I've felt tires struggling for grip even in low speed sceneries like a U Turn. While this is something you can deal with when setting off, it highlights a more dangerous scenario if you need the grip for a panic stop or suddenly need to swerve around a hazard.

Driving on any amount of snow isn't fun. Not only are the tires cold, the tread pattern is not designed to push snow and slush away from the contact patch. On a previous car with Michellin Pilot Super Sport tires, I got caught at work when a freak snow storm came through. A dusting of snow came through and I had to creep home with my summer tires. I had very little grip.

If you plan on regularly driving when it's cold out or when it's snowy/slushy, you may want to get a second set of tires. You may not need dedicated winter tires. At the very least, find some all seasons. Or even better, look for some all weather tires. That may get you a bit more flexibility for those times of year that flip back and forth between seasons. Yes, those two are different!

Sponsored

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
I believe two sets of tires is a must, the second set should at least be All Seasons M+S. Not trying to offend anyone, but those that say when it's cold outside and driving on their summer tires that they "take it easy", to me this is ludacris. Tires on the road in any driving condition don't understand taking it easy. It's bad for the tires no matter what once it's 35 degrees or less.

If you don't want to hassle dragging tires into a tire shop twice a year and are willing to swap your own tires in your garage, then I think it's also worth getting a second set of wheels.

Deej

First Name
Deej
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra Type S, Porsche Macan S
I would definitely recommend getting all-seasons where you live. I’ve spent a lot of time driving in the DC area, and would not want rely on the ITS for my day-to-day driver with the summer tires.

I now live in Boston, and tried to get my dealer to swap the OEM summers for all-seasons. The best they were willing to offer was to let me buy the replacement tires on my own dime and they would do the install for free. I declined.

My most vivid summer-tires-in-cold-weather memory was in a BMW M3. On a 25 degree day, I pulled the car out of my garage, and about a minute down the road I took a typical left turn onto a side road. Next thing I knew I was in a 360 spin — my respect for being careful on summer tires in cold went up a few notches that day!

Personally, I love the grip of the OEM summers tires when they are used as intended. It is pretty amazing. I have a second car (AWD, with all-season tires) so I have the luxury of parking the ITS when the temps get too cold or there is snow on the pavement. Without the second car, I would either have all-seasons or a dedicated set of snow tires.

OP
OP

braverlin

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
integra
I live in NC, so I can get away with summer tires. I've definitely driven on them in 30 degree weather, although I take it very easy. I've even been on track in low 30 degree weather with them.

I would not want to drive them all winter in the DMV area though, and definitely not in snow. In the cold you have to take it super easy and let the tires warm up. Best to avoid any sub freezing temps too.

If I lived there now, and this was me, I would have all season tires put on the stock rims, and keep the tires in the hopes of swapping them back on, or best case get another set of wheels just for the winter. Something cheaper yet functional. Maybe a package from tire rack or something.
Thanks
I believe two sets of tires is a must, the second set should at least be All Seasons M+S. Not trying to offend anyone, but those that say when it's cold outside and driving on their summer tires that they "take it easy", to me this is ludacris. Tires on the road in any driving condition don't understand taking it easy. It's bad for the tires no matter what once it's 35 degrees or less.

If you don't want to hassle dragging tires into a tire shop twice a year and are willing to swap your own tires in your garage, then I think it's also worth getting a second set of wheels.
Two sets of tires are out of the question. My wife will kick me out along with the tires if I ask to have another set lying around. So the only option is all season tires. Any suggestion of the tires that will go well with ITS?

OP
OP

braverlin

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
integra
I would definitely recommend getting all-seasons where you live. I’ve spent a lot of time driving in the DC area, and would not want rely on the ITS for my day-to-day driver with the summer tires.

I now live in Boston, and tried to get my dealer to swap the OEM summers for all-seasons. The best they were willing to offer was to let me buy the replacement tires on my own dime and they would do the install for free. I declined.

My most vivid summer-tires-in-cold-weather memory was in a BMW M3. On a 25 degree day, I pulled the car out of my garage, and about a minute down the road I took a typical left turn onto a side road. Next thing I knew I was in a 360 spin — my respect for being careful on summer tires in cold went up a few notches that day!

Personally, I love the grip of the OEM summers tires when they are used as intended. It is pretty amazing. I have a second car (AWD, with all-season tires) so I have the luxury of parking the ITS when the temps get too cold or there is snow on the pavement. Without the second car, I would either have all-seasons or a dedicated set of snow tires.
what would you recommend for the all season tires?

NOVABlueyITS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Acura MDX Tech
Yeah one thing to consider is you lose the stickiness of the summer tire. Torque steer is more pronounced with the Conti DWS06P all seasons.
Sponsored