Dumb Question Of The Day

Cantrip

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra APEC TECH
Love my Integra. One thing though. I miss my gol dang CD player. Could I possibly hook up a Discman or something through the USB or something. Loving the Apple CarPlay and Sirius but I want to blast some of my Zep bootlegs. If not, oh well, the price of progress.
Sponsored

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Love my Integra. One thing though. I miss my gol dang CD player. Could I possibly hook up a Discman or something through the USB or something. Loving the Apple CarPlay and Sirius but I want to blast some of my Zep bootlegs. If not, oh well, the price of progress.
Counter question, what's stopping you from ripping super high quality files, putting them on your Iphone and playing them through CarPlay?

Yes, I imagine there's some positive emotions associated using the disc itself but unlike vinyl records, it's digital and there's technically no difference on how you get it to play.

In that case you can always use a file editor to make all the songs on a single disc part of an album you labeled "Zep Bootleg Vol. 1" and then even put the album art as a picture of the CD itself.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
OP
OP

Cantrip

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra APEC TECH
Good idea. Thanks.

Counter question, what's stopping you from ripping super high quality files, putting them on your Iphone and playing them through CarPlay?

Yes, I imagine there's some positive emotions associated using the disc itself but unlike vinyl records, it's digital and there's technically no difference on how you get it to play.

In that case you can always use a file editor to make all the songs on a single disc part of an album you labeled "Zep Bootleg Vol. 1" and then even put the album art as a picture of the CD itself.

Sponsored

AsianEd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra TypeS
If your hard up on the discman thing they do sell USB to 1/8" head phone jack. Not sure it will work but you can try and it's cheap
https://www.amazon.com/MOSWAG-External-Converter-Compatible-Desktops/dp/B09874Q33W/

Or they do sell Android head unit compatible CD players that connect via USB
https://www.amazon.com/VikTck-External-Universal-Connection-Navigation/dp/B08C9BGSMK/
That adapter likely won't work, since it requires the USB side of the device to support audio input/output. The USB ports on vehicles typically only support digital data transfer and/or power. Even if you change the head unit input to USB, it will expect you're providing a USB storage device for it to play from (like a flash drive) where it can browse a file structure for digital files.

Short of replacing the entire head unit, the days of analog inputs in a stock system are behind us. 😕

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
That adapter likely won't work, since it requires the USB side of the device to support audio input/output. The USB ports on vehicles typically only support digital data transfer and/or power. Even if you change the head unit input to USB, it will expect you're providing a USB storage device for it to play from (like a flash drive) where it can browse a file structure for digital files.

Short of replacing the entire head unit, the days of analog inputs in a stock system are behind us. 😕
It's an android head unit so there's a chance it could support the device. The USBC adapters to headphone jacks were provide by cellphone oems once they deleted the ports

AsianEd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra TypeS
It's an android head unit so there's a chance it could support the device. The USBC adapters to headphone jacks were provide by cellphone oems once they deleted the ports
It all depends on what was implemented in the port and head unit. If the only capability is "data read," then the audio adapter (which is effectively a sound card) won't do anything.

It's worth a try to see if it'll do anything, but I highly doubt it since the head unit doesn't appear to be programmed to take an analog input.

Sponsored

Chilipepper

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S, 2022 RDX
I have 3,600 hi-res FLAC file songs on a 64GB flash drive that I listen to every day. Why is there a need to change the head unit?

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I have 3,600 hi-res FLAC file songs on a 64GB flash drive that I listen to every day. Why is there a need to change the head unit?
This is the way. No phone BS and it displays the album art in your tach.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
If the USB adapters suggested don't work, my suggestion is get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Adapter-Built-iPhone-Players/dp/B076X3GSMH.

I used to have one back in the day - you plug it into your discman and it broadcasts the signal over a radio station of your choosing (works best with a frequency that normally puts out static). You and any cars in your vicinity tuned to that frequency will hear your music. The one I linked looks like it's battery powered and the aux comes directly off the body instead of with a cord, but I'm sure there's one out there that's powered by either USB or 12V, and has an actual aux cord coming off of it.

Edit: they do exist. Have your pick: https://www.amazon.com/fm-transmitter-aux/s?k=fm+transmitter+aux