Is the type s able to run on 87?

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
So the real question is will knock occur. Knock is when the fuel detonates prematurely while piston is still compressing and not at its lowest point. This is BAD for any engine. lower octane fuel combusts ALOT easier than higher octane fuel and a lot of variables come into play here.
SO, you COULD probably run 87 if you drive easy keep the RPM's down so the internal cylinders temps stay as low as possible and probably won't knock. if you use 87 and run in continuously to redline and have the higher temps for premature ignition you will definitely have knock and could cause damage..
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
So the real question is will knock occur. Knock is when the fuel detonates prematurely while piston is still compressing and not at its lowest point. This is BAD for any engine. lower octane fuel combusts ALOT easier than higher octane fuel and a lot of variables come into play here.
SO, you COULD probably run 87 if you drive easy keep the RPM's down so the internal cylinders temps stay as low as possible and probably won't knock. if you use 87 and run in continuously to redline and have the higher temps for premature ignition you will definitely have knock and could cause damage..
Knock needs to occur for the ECU to pull back timing.
Basic ECU behavior.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
Knock needs to occur for the ECU to pull back timing.
Basic ECU behavior.
You do not want knock to occur at all. ECU can retard ignition timing when it detects knock yes. But that does NOT stop knock if it is not caused by ignition timing and is pre-spark knock. This is the knock that can happen with lower octane gases. Not ignition knock.

preston23

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
How do you get that good of gas mileage? lol Is that only comfort mode? I usually just run 91 and 93 if available.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coolyellowcar

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' Type S (TEP), 96' Miata, 95' Spec Miata
This. (OP did clarify fuel costs are not an issue. Although if fuel costs are a non-issue, why even consider 87? Even in a pinch, I can't inagine not having at least 89/90/91.)
There is 93 in most gas stations where I live so that isnot a worry. I was mainly just interested in learning what putting 87 in my car entails/would do. I’m not planning on putting 87 in the car, as I believe I have mentioned before, I just wanted to know what happens if I did. hopefully that clears up some peoples thoughts as it sounded like some people thought that I was going to put 87 in my car.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
There is 93 in most gas stations where I live so that isnot a worry. I was mainly just interested in learning what putting 87 in my car entails/would do. I’m not planning on putting 87 in the car, as I believe I have mentioned before, I just wanted to know what happens if I did. hopefully that clears up some peoples thoughts as it sounded like some people thought that I was going to put 87 in my car.
obama-come-on-what-2.gif

bdisco

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘24 ITS, ‘21 Bronco, ‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘88 911
My dad never put premium fuel in his 2006 Acura MDX. It’s still running around with 230,000+ on the odometer. That said I don’t always follow Dad’s advice and give my rides the good stuff.

Cliffpc

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Civic Si Coupe, 2024 Acura Integra Type-S
Octane requirements change with altitude. If you are in Los Angeles your octane requirements will be higher than if you live in Denver. Where I live premium is 91, but coastal is 93.

How does this car do with Ethanol blends (I am a new owner)? My Civic SI doesn't do well with it.

Last edited:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
You do not want knock to occur at all. ECU can retard ignition timing when it detects knock yes. But that does NOT stop knock if it is not caused by ignition timing and is pre-spark knock. This is the knock that can happen with lower octane gases. Not ignition knock.
An event that the knock sensor will detect and react to by retarding the ignition. 🤷‍♂️

Knock is knock.

I'm against using regular fuel in these engines. Only use it in an extreme emergency, and if that is the case, try to stay out of boost to avoid causing the engine to experience knock events.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
This question has been in my head for a while now. I’ve been putting 93 and the car and only 93, and it isn’t like it is hurting my wallet since it is still an efficient car (29mpg combined for my daily commute), though I would like to know if putting 87 in the car is possible. I’ve heard that ecu’s adapt to what octane is being used after watching a video on the new Elantra n, and it sparked my interest to know if my car did that. I learned that the type r does that so I assumed my type a does the same as they are the same car practically, but when I went to look to see if anyone had acted on my thoughts and put 87 in a type s, I found nothing except people talking about putting 87 in non type s cars. So, would I be safe putting 87 in my type s, and would I actually benefit in fuel economy by putting 87 in my car?
I only use 93, I think you get better mileage, performance and overall health of the motor buy going with the higher octane and can slow or even prevent the carbon build up that comes in time.
You can technically run a lower octane gas, but you then enter into the equation engine performance and potential issues including engine failure over time.
I wouldn't go any lower than 91 personally.
I bought this car for the Honda reliability and K series engine; I have every intention of preserving that engine as long as possible.
For me, the added cost of gas and oil is well worth it in the long run when you consider the cost of replacing or rebuilding this motor.
I like to use Amsoil full synthetic whenever possible in all my vehicles and I have had very good luck using it over the years, it is more expensive but gives me peace of mind.
To each his own, you certainly can run cheaper gas, do oil changes every 10k with Acura services and still enjoy your car, but to me, it is way too risky.

TXWayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 MDX A-Spec
I have always gone very cheap with my cars and put in 87 regardless of the recommendation. Not happening this one, I have only put in 93 and will continue. My strategy has been any time I am near a Sam’s or Costco and I am anywhere near half a tank I stop by and fill it up. They have the cheapest 93 around and it keeps the pain down of filling up without getting near empty.

Krazydan19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Model x, model 3, Rdx, triumph, ITS
You’re getting 29mpg! Thats nuts run the 93 don’t change a thing.
Sponsored