Sponsored

Shift knob removal

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Mazda3 Turbo, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
Aren’t there east and west tabs under the ring under the boot that need to be pressed first?
Yeah I’ve tried feeling around for something like that and just squeezing in different places but I still haven’t managed to get it off either
Sponsored

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
same old generic, bland cliche response, not everyone desires to drive stick just because you make it feel "cool" to.
And my friends think I'm a manual snob. Geez.

Watch the first couple minutes of this video. I looks pretty easy.

As the video goes on it shows how to remove the center console cover, if you ever want to do that.

NOTE: You do not have to remove the pad on the right of the console that goes up above the passenger foot well just to get the cover off.

BTW, I have only owned manual transmissions, because I enjoy driving them more than autos. The autos may have gotten better since I got my first car in 1982, but back then they were trash compared to a manual. I remember test driving a late 80's Nissan Maxima - back then they called it the "4 Door Sports Car - with an automatic. I was coming down an off ramp to green light setting up for a right turn. I braked late, hit the apex perfectly and simultaneously hit the gas, and...nothing but revs, because the car had no idea which gear to choose.

That incident scarred me and I've never even considered owning anything other than a manual since. A few years ago, I was given a VW Sportwagon with a DCT as a loaner while my GTI was in the shop. It was better, but I still felt disconnected from the car. It was an uncomfortable feeling for me.

Your post is the first I've seen regarding replacing the shift knob for the CVT. If you've found a replacement, I bet others on here would be interested.

bee-man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 6sp
I ate my Wheaties, but still not able to pull down the shift collar. Does anyone have a pic of the inside of the collar clip and how it attaches? Wondering if there is an ideal side or location to pry on before using my metal pry tool. Thanks.

Sponsored

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CTR, 2023 Integra aspec MT
I ate my Wheaties, but still not able to pull down the shift collar. Does anyone have a pic of the inside of the collar clip and how it attaches? Wondering if there is an ideal side or location to pry on before using my metal pry tool. Thanks.
Its definitely hard! lol I tried on another friends integra and couldnt get it. honestly probably cause it wasnt my car so i was afraid of braking stuff lol

it definetly takes some force!

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I also had to pry with a flathead screwdriver. Put a couple little nicks on the edge of the collar but nobody would be the wiser. It's very tight!!!!.

acurax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
I used this plastic panel/trim removal tool and gently forced the circled two prong end between the silver and black rings. It seemed pretty easy doing it this way.
prytool.png

bee-man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 6sp
Thanks acurax, I have a similar prying tool.

Stupid collar broke. Let it be known that I did not gorilla the collar off. Instead, I carefully pried different areas, angles, and even rotated the collar in various positions. I incrementally added more force with time until the collar gave way, but what really happened was that the plastic clips wore down and broke from stress. Hate to spend $$$ on the entire boot assembly, so I'm going to attempt to repair the collar, but does anyone have a spare lying around? In any case, l will attempt to show what broke to save the next person some grief.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Interested in pics on this. Mine came off without breaking completely, but it's lost most of it's tension. not noticeable to the naked eye, but it definitely rocks a little depending on what gear your in. Also pops down super easy now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Before I attempted this I was sent a video where they turned the top metal collar piece a little (like a quarter turn or so) & then it was easy to pull down to expose the tightening nut. Worked very well for me. Very little force & no pry tool needed.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
ahh, didn't realize that. darn it, that's probably what caused mine to get messed up.

JBTypeS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I used a pry tool on the back side of the collar and was able to pull the boot down with minimal effort. Without the pry tool I pushed down with a lot of force, felt like I was going to break or rip something. I changed the original boot collar with one from Acuity, very ease to remove boot now.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
My aspec it seemed impossible to remove. My Type S you just pull down on the boot and it pops off. The collar on the Type S is metal vs the Aspec plastic so maybe that makes a difference.🤔

bee-man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 6sp
Sorry, I forgot to follow up with this thread. In a way, I think the removal of the collar comes down to how lucky you are with the collar and shift nut tolerances. The fastener design does not look as though it was meant to be cycled, but you be the judge.

If your collar is super snug, the only way I can think to minimize damage is to leave the knob on, carefully work the console trim, lift the shift boot over the knob, and release the clip with a very small screwdriver or prying tool. I don't know if it's even possible, but this is what I would try if I had to do it all over again. I'll post some pics shortly...
Sponsored