Sponsored

Three stages of DTC in regards to Pops and Bangs

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
This happens to me pretty often, mos rod the time when I come to a complete stop then the pops will come back, but goes away for a minute or two after I go WOT. I also noticed that it happens more often when it’s super hot out for me. I have wondered if the bay temp impacts pops and bangs.
I think you may be on to something. I dunno if this is hindsight now, but it seems like it's happening more frequently now that it's getting pretty hot during the day, like literally every few minutes they stop for a minute.

There's always a decent amount of 'soot' coming out of the center pipe. I wonder if sometimes it gets a little gunked up and reduces it's movement and then sometimes all of a sudden just blows itself out and cleans up.
i dont think there's anything in the exhaust that affects the pops and bangs. as far as i understand, the pops and bangs come from the ECU tune retarding the timing and squirting more fuel on the rev hang, so it's all from the ECU/engine; meanwhile all the Active Exhaust Valve does is divert the exhaust from the 2 smaller outer pipes to the larger center one. I know what you're saying though, it "feels" like a valve or something gets stuck and unsticks itself as you keep driving.

for the record, i did drive a bit with my reader plugged in, and no codes or anything popped up.
Sponsored

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I think you may be on to something. I dunno if this is hindsight now, but it seems like it's happening more frequently now that it's getting pretty hot during the day, like literally every few minutes they stop for a minute.

i dont think there's anything in the exhaust that affects the pops and bangs. as far as i understand, the pops and bangs come from the ECU tune retarding the timing and squirting more fuel on the rev hang, so it's all from the ECU/engine; meanwhile all the Active Exhaust Valve does is divert the exhaust from the 2 smaller outer pipes to the larger center one. I know what you're saying though, it "feels" like a valve or something gets stuck and unsticks itself as you keep driving.

for the record, i did drive a bit with my reader plugged in, and no codes or anything popped up.
Correct - but the valve itself does open and close actively while driving which is a component to whatever is going on. I read that you can pull the fuse to KEEP it open as well. But I like to go into comfy mode around the po po's. 😆

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Correct - but the valve itself does open and close actively while driving which is a component to whatever is going on. I read that you can pull the fuse to KEEP it open as well. But I like to go into comfy mode around the po po's. 😆
right, but the valve opening and closing doesn't affect the pops and bangs though, right? i may be confused as i don't fully understand the whole picture.

i know about the fuse trick, i wouldn't even bother as i don't drive the car in any modes other than Sport+. i wouldn't worry about the police lol this car isn't loud or spicy enough to bother them.

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
This happens to me pretty often, mos rod the time when I come to a complete stop then the pops will come back, but goes away for a minute or two after I go WOT. I also noticed that it happens more often when it’s super hot out for me. I have wondered if the bay temp impacts pops and bangs.
This leads me to think the ECU is adjusting for knock due to fuel quality, ambient temps, and various other factors. That obviously answers nothing but if no codes are present then I would try a different gas station or an octane booster on the next fill up.

Emissions and environmental standards get tighter and higher every year forcing modern engines to be very strict with their operating parameters. It doesn't help that there's no consistency with fuel and the general environment. I wouldn't be surprised if your pops come back on a milder day.

Jcoco

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
This leads me to think the ECU is adjusting for knock due to fuel quality, ambient temps, and various other factors. That obviously answers nothing but if no codes are present then I would try a different gas station or an octane booster on the next fill up.

Emissions and environmental standards get tighter and higher every year forcing modern engines to be very strict with their operating parameters. It doesn't help that there's no consistency with fuel and the general environment. I wouldn't be surprised if your pops come back on a milder day.
Yep! Will try a different gas station even though I am pretty much only shell since I have had the car but did have to get gas at a Kroger since I was running scary low and that was about 3-400 miles ago. Drove the ITS late last night when temps were lower and no sun and the car was popping more and much louder and was not disappearing after WOT.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
right, but the valve opening and closing doesn't affect the pops and bangs though, right? i may be confused as i don't fully understand the whole picture.

i know about the fuse trick, i wouldn't even bother as i don't drive the car in any modes other than Sport+. i wouldn't worry about the police lol this car isn't loud or spicy enough to bother them.
It is my understanding that they work together to create the effect somehow, but beyond me.

My engine is in Sport+ 99% of the time. But my car setup in particular is plenty loud enough to bother them and people complaining around me apparently. 😆
Sponsored