Sponsored

Track Prep

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Agree to disagree. Again, unless this super fluid is truly something unique only to Acura and no other safe fluid exists, then sure. I suspect that isnt the case and it would’ve been nice if they said “be sure to use blah blah certified DOT 3 or 4 fluid, ideally Acura’s Heavy Duty magic, use of fluids that do not meet those standards may cause brake failure and damage may not be covered under warranty.” pigeonholing us into using their fluids for sure keeps money in house and helps their profits. Maybe not a ton…. But selling more likely makes them more money than selling less.

I want to dig more into the topic tho bc I’m gonna be realllly unhinged if I find out the Acura HD fluid is relabeled RBF 600 🤣🤣
I'm starting to wonder if we're even talking about the same thing at this point, because you keep thinking that the fluid is somehow "special"- I'm sure it's just garden variety generic brake fluid so it's pretty puzzling that you keep coming back to that. But it still makes sense why a dealer or even Honda/Acura would offer a disclaimer if you want to use your own fluid, regardless if it's "better" or not... it's not a hard concept to grasp so I'll just fall on the sword and concede I'm failing at communicating it.

So whatever floats your boat man. Dig into it all you want, if it's how you choose to spend your time. There's a ton of other things you could also be mad about, being mad is en vogue these days so carry on.
Sponsored

OP
OP
evanescent03

evanescent03

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z06; '24 PWP ITS
I'm starting to wonder if we're even talking about the same thing at this point, because you keep thinking that the fluid is somehow "special"- I'm sure it's just garden variety generic brake fluid so it's pretty puzzling that you keep coming back to that. But it still makes sense why a dealer or even Honda/Acura would offer a disclaimer if you want to use your own fluid, regardless if it's "better" or not... it's not a hard concept to grasp so I'll just fall on the sword and concede I'm failing at communicating it.

So whatever floats your boat man. Dig into it all you want, if it's how you choose to spend your time. There's a ton of other things you could also be mad about, being mad is en vogue these days so carry on.

I think we just have very different takes on the subject. I do think you’re missing the point as to why a DIY community is annoyed by such a needlessly* specific recommendation… for fear of losing your warranty. Vehicles have a healthy range of acceptable tolerances, we don’t need to be an engineer to know that. Agreed? If you agree there’s a healthy safety margin, then a reasonable alternative to OEM shouldn’t cause damage… and if you agree that damage won’t be caused by using that alternatives then why would warranty be in question? That’s the issue here. And I think you just accept that Acura makes the demand while I find it annoying.

despite being energetic and someone passionate about my beliefs, I assure you: there is no rage or anger in my posts. Certainly no hard feelings.

*i think you and agree the recommendation is nonsense. but maybe there really is a secret ingredient. maybe one day the truth will come out

RamVA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beat, Acty, Integra Type-S, Motocompacto
I'd love to hear if anyone driving any car has ever had a warranty claim declined because of their choice of brake fluid. I doubt it.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'd love to hear if anyone driving any car has ever had a warranty claim declined because of their choice of brake fluid. I doubt it.
Agreed, probably never happened! But annoying for a dealer to not want to use what is likely a superior fluid.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I think we just have very different takes on the subject. I do think you’re missing the point as to why a DIY community is annoyed by such a needlessly* specific recommendation… for fear of losing your warranty. Vehicles have a healthy range of acceptable tolerances, we don’t need to be an engineer to know that. Agreed? If you agree there’s a healthy safety margin, then a reasonable alternative to OEM shouldn’t cause damage… and if you agree that damage won’t be caused by using that alternatives then why would warranty be in question? That’s the issue here. And I think you just accept that Acura makes the demand while I find it annoying.

despite being energetic and someone passionate about my beliefs, I assure you: there is no rage or anger in my posts. Certainly no hard feelings.

*i think you and agree the recommendation is nonsense. but maybe there really is a secret ingredient. maybe one day the truth will come out
You're not wrong, we're actually very closely aligned conceptually. I never said it wasn't a silly requirement, but IMO I don't think it's unreasonable. Part of the reason for that is because, unlike motor oil, brake fluid isn't intended to be replaced at the same frequency of routine maintenance intervals, so any intent behind swapping it out with another fluid goes pretty far beyond the same considerations placed on engine oil. That's where I think the main discrepancy lies- only enthusiasts are going to care about swapping out brake fluid, and as such I don't think dealers are really far out of bounds to say "hey man, you do whatever you want but it's on you if something goes wrong". That's really all they said to this guy that started this whole discussion, and I really don't think it's an unreasonable stance. I might even agree with it.

Almost certainly not. That kind of relates to my point... the likelihood of a warranty claim being denied because brake fluid is infinitesimally small. That's also why I see no harm in a dealer saying it lol. If something DOES go wrong, it probably was the damn fluid!!!
Sponsored