Sponsored

Where to start with Performance Upgrades?

tegs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS
Hey guys, I been lurking on the forum for past 3 months, really enjoy all the post..

I picked up my ITS in July, and the only thing I done was put the PRL HVI on..
Like the extra turbo noises lol

Anyhow , I’m trying to figure out what I should do next..

Im bit of a noob at this stuff, but can manage to do my own work..

Main question is what would be the best thing to do with this car to get best bang for performance on the street..Won’t be no track days, we don’t have that option up here..

Should I just get a tune?
Recommendations?

im seeing a lot of talk about a down pipe, anyone care to explain the benefit of a down pipe?

Anyhow, appreciate anyone’s help!!

thanks
Sponsored

joemama

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'm in a pretty similar situation. Decided exhaust was the next step and lowering springs. Car is pretty great straight out the box. Hoping AWE finishes building my exhaust and H&R springs come in soon!

As far as down pipe is concerned, based on what I've read it does alter the sound in a positive way, but you won't get much performance gain unless you tune it also. Personally, don't feel like tuning my car for now.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Best bang per buck for power is always tune.

Best bang per buck for performance is driver up skill, but that takes practice and track time, which you've said you don't want.

Best for grip/balance is tire, then wheel and tire pressure tuning, followed by geometry changes (alignment)

bisquick

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS, '19 LSM RDX A-Spec
An off-the-shelf tune will be your best bet. If you’re looking for more then start installing supporting mods (e.g., downpipe, front pipe, charge pipes, intercooler, flex fuel kit, etc.) and get a custom tune.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Start with down pipe and a tune.
Then the rest of the items in my signature 😂

Sponsored

OP
OP

tegs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS
Start with down pipe and a tune.
Then the rest of the items in my signature 😂
Thanks guys..

What’s the big benefit to the downpipe?

Any upside with a downpipe, and no tune?

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Thanks guys..

What’s the big benefit to the downpipe?

Any upside with a downpipe, and no tune?
The factory one is restrictive and there would be some gains but most would come with a tune.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Just keep in mind the downside to the downpipe, whether with a high flow cat or not, is that it's an emissions device and if you ever get sniff tested, you'll fail regardless of tune. If you and your state's politicians don't care about emissions, then it's a personal call.

Reducing that exhaust restriction is not as much about peak power as it is increasing rate of spool (because of less restriction behind the turbo directly) and moving the torque band to the left a bit. The result is often a car that drives more "readily" at any pitch of the throttle, closer to emulating a big engine. Instead of feeling like a peaky 4 banger it'll feel a bit closer to a medium v6, with still some turbo lag.

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FL5 Type R, S2000, Ram TRX
I have a few customers that drive bone stock cars with just a tune and they are very happy and not looking to mod. Good gains for less than the price of an exhaust.

OP
OP

tegs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS
Just keep in mind the downside to the downpipe, whether with a high flow cat or not, is that it's an emissions device and if you ever get sniff tested, you'll fail regardless of tune. If you and your state's politicians don't care about emissions, then it's a personal call.

Reducing that exhaust restriction is not as much about peak power as it is increasing rate of spool (because of less restriction behind the turbo directly) and moving the torque band to the left a bit. The result is often a car that drives more "readily" at any pitch of the throttle, closer to emulating a big engine. Instead of feeling like a peaky 4 banger it'll feel a bit closer to a medium v6, with still some turbo lag.
wow, well i dont have to worry about emmision up in Canada..
Will the fumes be really noticeable?
Smell strong inside and out?

Sponsored

OP
OP

tegs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS
I have a few customers that drive bone stock cars with just a tune and they are very happy and not looking to mod. Good gains for less than the price of an exhaust.
That sounds pretty interesting, do you have a website I could checkout?

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
wow, well i dont have to worry about emmision up in Canada..
Will the fumes be really noticeable?
Smell strong inside and out?
If catless, yes the fumes will be pretty strong and if the wind is right when idling it could suck pretty bad.

If high flow cat, the fumes are less noticeable and usually mostly on colder days or on cold start due to the engine running a little richer and just more fuel/exhaust being present in those scenarios. How close the cat is to the source will also determine how much will get through since a warmer cat is a more efficient cat, but also too hot can reduce efficiency. There's a balancing act, and hopefully whoever made the downpipe took the time to weigh the pros and cons of what size cat to use, what type, and what location. A very good design will be within 95% of the operation of a factory setup.

OP
OP

tegs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS
Is there one you recommend with a Cat?

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Is there one you recommend with a Cat?
If your tuned RV6 or Axion whos sells a unit that you can swap a cat put for a straight pipe.
If your not tuned then TSP version.

JesterTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FL5 Type R, S2000, Ram TRX
That sounds pretty interesting, do you have a website I could checkout?
Yeah I do! But reach out to me through PM, I don’t want to clutter this thread since it is easier for you to ask me questions that I can answer directly.
Sponsored