Paint, fit and finish.....an issue?

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AUDI S4, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
NOTE: ACCIDENTALLY PICKED WRONG LINK. WILL DROP ORIG AS SOON AS I LOCATE IT...SORRY.

New link:

I have personally seen and have heard others complain about the paint and finish on the Marysville production. In particular the poor paint matches between plastic parts (bumpers, mirror caps, etc) and the body colors. Also poor alignment on body panels, including rear tail and front headlights, fenders and bumpers.

If you inspect a Honda CTR, made in Japan, you won't usually find this magnitude of color and panel mismatch.

In this video, around 3:45 mins, you can see the difference in the rear bumper and wheel arch extensions compared to the body, and again around 4:25 min, for the front bumper and hood.

As the narrator states, it is tough to get a perfect match but what is shown in the video under that specific lighting really is bad.

Usually it affects high metallic content paint in lighter colors. It is further highlighted under certain flourescent or sodium lights, but is visable in normal daylight especially at dawn and dusk.

Obviously darker or non metallic paint colors are less prone to the visable paint difference. So if this bothers you, you'll need to inspect your car in different light before you buy. Getting deeper colors help, like black, gray or blue but the pearl affect can also alter the paint color, even on darker paint.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MickleNoot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(Soon) '24 Integra Type S, '70 RB26-powered 240Z
I think you may have had the wrong link in your clipboard...

mattaleo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Civic Si
https://investorplace.com/stock-quotes/schv-stock-quote/

I have personally seen and have heard others complain about the paint and finish on the Marysville production. In particular the poor paint matches between plastic parts (bumpers, mirror caps, etc) and the body colors. Also poor alignment on body panels, including rear tail and front headlights, body panels and bumpers.

If you inspect a Honds CTR, made in Japan, you won't usually find this magnitude of color and panel mismatch.

In this video, around 3:45 mins, you can see the difference in the rear bumper and wheel arch extensions co.pared to the body, and again around 4:25 min, for the front bumper and hood.

As the narrator states, it is tough to get a perfect match but what is shown in the video under that specific lighting really is bad.

Usually it affects high metallic contain paint in lighter colors. It is further highlighted under certain flourescent or sodium lights, but is visable in normal daylight especially at dawn and dusk.

Obviously darker or non metallic paint colors are less prone to the visable paint difference. So if this bothers you, you'll need to inspect your car in different light
before you buy. Getting deeper colors help, like black, gray or blue but the pearl affect can also alter the paint color, even on darker cars.
What video are you talking about? Is this click bait for the investor link you added?
What's this guy doing here? Lol

lz23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z
NOTE: ACCIDENTALLY PICKED WRONG LINK. WILL DROP ORIG AS SOON AS I LOCATE IT...SORRY.

New link:

I have personally seen and have heard others complain about the paint and finish on the Marysville production. In particular the poor paint matches between plastic parts (bumpers, mirror caps, etc) and the body colors. Also poor alignment on body panels, including rear tail and front headlights, body panels and bumpers.

If you inspect a Honds CTR, made in Japan, you won't usually find this magnitude of color and panel mismatch.

In this video, around 3:45 mins, you can see the difference in the rear bumper and wheel arch extensions compared to the body, and again around 4:25 min, for the front bumper and hood.

Usually it affects high metallic contain paint in lighter colors. It is further highlighted under certain flourescent or sodium lights, but is visable in normal daylight especially at dawn and dusk.

Obviously darker or non metallic paint colors are less prone to the visable paint difference. So if this bothers you, you'll need to inspect your car in different light before you buy. Getting deeper colors help, like black, gray or blue but the pearl affect can also alter the paint color, even on darker paint.
I noticed this on the white one as well,but not near as bad as the tiger eye.I think this will be an issue on all colors because of the metallic finishes.I ordered white but will not take the car if it is really obvious in person.

OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you look at Joe Rati's Long Beach review of the blue Type S, especially near the beginning when he is by the left front corner you can see difference in color/finish btwn fender and bumper...but much less than the Tiger Eye.

Sponsored

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I don't notice this with my LCM A Spec. Colors seem to match really well between the metal and plastic parts.

OEMjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra, 99 Audi A4
Color match is good on mine but... most my doors were not aligned properly and there are paint runs in areas. I also got a stress crack on a door.

One dealer wanted to send it to body shop but there was a queue with no ETA. Going to another dealer tomorrow to see how it goes.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Color match is good on mine but... most my doors were not aligned properly and there are paint runs in areas. I also got a stress crack on a door.

One dealer wanted to send it to body shop but there was a queue with no ETA. Going to another dealer tomorrow to see how it goes.
I'm curious what color do you have?
Can you share photos of the defects especially the crack?
When I visited my dealer he mentioned not to get black because paint issues. They had a ILX in the showroom,before teggy was released, and it had paint runs.

OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1684106726933.png
1684106726933.png

This red example looks much better than the other colors....still see a difference on rear bumper and fender and fender flare.

Sponsored

OEMjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra, 99 Audi A4
I'm curious what color do you have?
Can you share photos of the defects especially the crack?
When I visited my dealer he mentioned not to get black because paint issues. They had a ILX in the showroom,before teggy was released, and it had paint runs.
PWP I posted a thread on the crack in warranty/recalls a while back.
Crack at seam.jpg

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
PWP I posted a thread on the crack in warranty/recalls a while back.
Crack at seam.jpg
Wow. I need to look at mine now. What door is that?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
OMG… this would trigger my OcD big time… its a pretty wild paint defect.
CF49F174-3C25-4C6A-B4D6-CD5D39F05CBC.png
That is actually really bad. I thought it was a reflection! I had to go back and watch the video to make sure. Wow. That is... catastrophic.

I'll also mention that I had to hear some of the audio in the sections I watched... and hearing someone who likes the FK8 prattle on about issues he has with the design was like nails on a chalkboard.

The paint issue is noteworthy though. Hopefully this is an example of rushed marketing not taking the time to look at a pre-production model before slapping it on the showroom floor for this show... but I don't think I believe that. These issues are likely to persist.

1684106726933.png
1684106726933.png

This red example looks much better than the other colors....still see a difference on rear bumper and fender and fender flare.
I don't see anything in this one though. Looks like normal reflection to me.

Anyway, staring at static pictures is pointless. The example in the video is pretty egregious. I wouldn't take delivery on a car like that.

Grelco

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Are there large issues with mismatched paint on the current integra and tlx?
Sponsored