Sponsored

Type S vs CT4V Blackwing test drive review

6-Speedio

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R
I have a thread for this already in the comparison forum. 😂

The Blackwings had huge markups too, when they were newer. You’ll be able to get an ITS at MSRP soon enough so the question is really “is the CT4V BW worth the extra $16k?”

Not really for me, it’s more of a backup in case ADMs stick around or I don’t like the ITS or the CTR (I haven’t even seen them up close).
Out of recent curiosity, I built one on Cadillac’s Canadian website. It was all great until it came to the price and all it said was “contact your dealer for pricing”. If the manufacturer isn’t even willing to provide an MSRP on their site, it tells me that thing is going to be crazy marked up. I lost interest at that point.
Sponsored

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
Out of recent curiosity, I built one on Cadillac’s Canadian website. It was all great until it came to the price and all it said was “contact your dealer for pricing”. If the manufacturer isn’t even willing to provide an MSRP on their site, it tells me that thing is going to be crazy marked up. I lost interest at that point.
Markup isn't the only problem, like Porsche you can add $30K in options to the thing somehow. At least when I search local inventory, the cheapest model is in the low $70s, average is mid to high 70s, and somehow one hits $90k which is CT5 money. Yes, you get a lot more for $75K than the Integra, but it's not really a fair comparison if you can't actually get one for under $70K. And note this is all USD and MSRP before markup. Although to be fair, I didn't see any markup listed at least.

6-Speedio

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R
Markup isn't the only problem, like Porsche you can add $30K in options to the thing somehow. At least when I search local inventory, the cheapest model is in the low $70s, average is mid to high 70s, and somehow one hits $90k which is CT5 money. Yes, you get a lot more for $75K than the Integra, but it's not really a fair comparison if you can't actually get one for under $70K. And note this is all USD and MSRP before markup. Although to be fair, I didn't see any markup listed at least.
That’s just it. I was wary of the options I was adding. I wanted to know what one would run me, configured the way I wanted. I could’ve calculated MSRP myself by just going through the numbers, but the “contact your dealer for pricing” tells me finding one at MSRP might be hard.

Edit: I may have priced it out on the US site, I don’t remember. I bounce back between Canada and the US these days. Apparently it’s illegal to charge markups on new cars in Canada (though there are greasy ways for dealers to get around that, like selling a new car to a sister dealership with 25 miles on it, then selling it back. All of a sudden it’s a used car and markups can be added)

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
It's a rear wheel drive sports car. What's not to love?
I don't care for the looks. It's heavy and smaller on the in side and the big thing to me is No hatch.

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type Platinum Perlescent White
Don't over pay for the ITS. The dealer I bought it from wanted $75k for the car. I told them they were absolutely insane and explained how offended and disrespected I was at that even being a possible price point.

They eventually called me back and came back to their senses. And I ended up paying under MSRP for the car at the end of the day if you exclude the extra accessories I got.

There is absolutely no reason to pay even $5k over msrp. It's already an expensive car for what the car is. Although I absolutely love mine. It's awesome. But don't let the dealer dictate the terms. Control the conversation and the deal. And don't let them pressure you into anything. At the end of the day it's "just a car".

Good luck with your purchases!

Sponsored

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
The CT4-V BW I drove had an MSRP of $65K I believe. They certainly can be purchased for under $70K.

Mike

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The CT4-V BW I drove had an MSRP of $65K I believe. They certainly can be purchased for under $70K.

Mike
But as 2023 orders are already complete, you are completely reliant on your dealer availability and don't have control over options. Apparently there is an IMSA edition that adds $20K, that's what most in my area have and why they are over $80K. Will say my local dealer is offering $4K off MSRP, sadly MSRP is $88K :)

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
But as 2023 orders are already complete, you are completely reliant on your dealer availability and don't have control over options. Apparently there is an IMSA edition that adds $20K, that's what most in my area have and why they are over $80K. Will say my local dealer is offering $4K off MSRP, sadly MSRP is $88K :)
Availability and ordering (options and features) are dealer dependent, for sure. And yes, options really start adding up quick on these cars making them expensive. The issue with ordering right now (and why my local Cadillac dealer can’t guarantee me a 24 manual) is because GM is prioritizing upper-end trim levels. They’re focusing on producing vehicles with higher margins. This has also been what we are experiencing at the Chevrolet dealership I work for. Pretty ridiculous. It’s rumored they’re doing this to fund electric vehicles but, that certainly hasn’t been confirmed.

I’ve been offered $2K off MSRP on the BW but, they were auto’s. They couldn’t sell me an automatic BW (that I couldn’t flip) for any amount of money.

Mike

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Availability and ordering (options and features) are dealer dependent, for sure. And yes, options really start adding up quick on these cars making them expensive. The issue with ordering right now (and why my local Cadillac dealer can’t guarantee me a 24 manual) is because GM is prioritizing upper-end trim levels. They’re focusing on producing vehicles with higher margins. This has also been what we are experiencing at the Chevrolet dealership I work for. Pretty ridiculous. It’s rumored they’re doing this to fund electric vehicles but, that certainly hasn’t been confirmed.

I’ve been offered $2K off MSRP on the BW but, they were auto’s. They couldn’t sell me an automatic BW (that I couldn’t flip) for any amount of money.

Mike
It's not just Cadillac doing this- Porsche has been doing it for a while, and I imagine any dealer that has an excessive options list with high-demand cars would default to the same.

It helped me get an immediate allocation for my wife's Macan GTS, while others have been sitting on waitlists for months. You have to pay to play sometimes.

I'm kind of glad Acura went the dealer-installed options route with the ITS. Keeps me from getting too crazy because I don't really trust dealer installs. I did get the carbon decklid spoiler, but skipped the illuminated door sills because I just saw trouble. It would be included in the warranty if installed before delivery, but factory >>>> dealer tech all day every day.

njech7

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Rivian R1T, 2012 Porsche Cayenne 6MT
I'm test driving a CT4VBW on Saturday. I think it's probably the better car, but it's also the more expensive car. My local dealer has 3 manuals, with 2 under 75k and then one of those super expensive track versions. The CT5 really isn't in the same arena. It would be nice to suck gas down real fast with the V8 but much more expensive.

No one is gonna be real unhappy with either I do not think. If you have a potential desire to track your car, the BW will be the better car. Throw in if you buy it new, you get 2 days at the V performance school and that should be an amazing experience.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Honda Pilot
Although my only other thread to date is comparing the Type S to another car, I promise I actually like this car! Just think comparisons provide for some lively debate, and sounds like everyone has some time on their hands given supply chain constraints

I only began looking at the BW because of the ludicrous ADMs floating around for the Type S (the first quote I received was 10k over MSRP, and the BW incidentally starts at 10k over the Type S).

I actually had the chance to test drive both last weekend back to back. The BW was a base $62k model, and it even sounded like the dealer might be willing to cut a deal on it below MSRP.

Although the test drives were vastly different (the BW drive was far shorter and I never really got to open it up), my thoughts were as follows:
- Integra got way more laughs out of me on the test drive (again, may be attributable to the better/longer route I was on)
- rev matching was better in the type s (even though I would probably turn off on whatever car I bought. But it is more convenient that BW has a dedicated button to quickly toggle on/off)
- transmission also felt better in the type s. Shorter throws, and there was a few times where I wasn’t sure if I was in gear in the BW (I always was, shifts just weren’t as clear/confidence inspiring)
-BW really felt like a luxury car when I wasn’t on throttle (still trying to decide if this is a pro or a con
)
-BW had a far nicer, purpose built interior.

The BW has gotten some pretty good press, so I’m curious to hear folks’ thoughts - does a $10k marked up Type S measure up to the BW? Or is the BW the exact type of use case that should illustrate to Acura dealers why their markups are nonsensical?
Test driven both. CT4V Blackwing was amazing although it's jail territory anytime you really get on the throttle. Incredible ride. For me, it blew the Type S out of the water. It's not the fairest comparison though. The blackwing is in a different weight class engine wise and is about 15 grand more expensive by MSRP before options which can get you close to 85k.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Test driven both. CT4V Blackwing was amazing although it's jail territory anytime you really get on the throttle. Incredible ride. For me, it blew the Type S out of the water. It's not the fairest comparison though. The blackwing is in a different weight class engine wise and is about 15 grand more expensive by MSRP before options which can get you close to 85k.
It's over 4 seconds faster on the lightning lap but was $85K as tested, so agreed 100%. Too bad they let the RS3 run on R rubber which totally throws it out of the test.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si sedan (now 2023 Ford Focus ST-Line X)
I priced one out at $68k, like $5k in options (wheels, paint, seats). There wasn’t any other option that appealed to me, except maybe carbon fiber but I wouldn’t pay out the nose for that. I don’t want a moonroof, glad it’s optional.

A lot of options are only available on the automatic.

Audio79

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 99
Hi I'm audio I'm new to the CT4V forum
I like front wheel drive or rear wheel that me if u have a hard time picking a car dont go to the forum or to another person it you car drive both and pick if it still hard to choice then repeat at the end of the day it your car it your dission every thing has pro/con

VinnyDaFish

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type-S (Apex Blue/Orchid)
I'm test driving a CT4VBW on Saturday. I think it's probably the better car, but it's also the more expensive car. My local dealer has 3 manuals, with 2 under 75k and then one of those super expensive track versions. The CT5 really isn't in the same arena. It would be nice to suck gas down real fast with the V8 but much more expensive.

No one is gonna be real unhappy with either I do not think. If you have a potential desire to track your car, the BW will be the better car. Throw in if you buy it new, you get 2 days at the V performance school and that should be an amazing experience.
At the Corvette owner's school this morning and thinking about this thread when the Blackwings rolled out. These are the 5's, but even the 4's are another price point vs the ITS.

ED814256-B35A-4621-929B-2589EEFC6E8D.jpeg

E175D4C9-5D4D-4AED-855B-628DA43736F2.jpeg
Sponsored