PRL as a company was bought out???

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I received this email from the vendor I purchased the PRL FMIC from in regard to the delays. Waiting on backordered shipments.
Anyone know about PRL being bought out?? Thoughts on future product expectations???

PRL was bought out a couple months ago and the new corporation that acquired them is trash in my option. Their tracking system just sucks. PRL has been running 24-hour operations and has gone downhill since acquisition. I wish they didn't sell out! It's sad, because their parts are top notch!
Sponsored

Masada25S

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Now: None; Future: Passport/Pilot + DE5
Oh man, that's not good to hear.

dockleryxk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5
EDIT: to be clear, I'm not hating on PRL – I'm hating on private equity. I have several PRL parts and they are quality. I just hope that doesn't change (and I also hope Patrick got a good deal).

Based on the Founder of PRL's LinkedIn, it looks like the company is called Aftermarket Performance Group (APG). Anytime I see "vertically integrated blah blah blah" I can't help but roll my eyes. It reeks of private equity.

My guess is Patrick sold the company with the promise of a payday and having to worry less about admin work, paperwork, etc. That is usually true (look at this snippet from APG about page: "Every division of APG has a huge range of autonomy that's backed by a central office team that handles purchasing, fulfillment, accounting, IT, human resources, and much more."), but the monkey paw curls while the company you built gets squeezed for all of the paper value possible (another about page snippet: "By combining robust wholesale distributing infrastructure with high-powered E-commerce sites and our own manufacturing, APG seeks to provide a high return on investment while producing excellent profits for each division in the group."). It's almost always bad for the consumer (us).

Meanwhile, the Private Equity company rolls up a bunch of companies in an industry, does the same thing to them, and then sells the portfolio. Rinse and repeat while the end product (usually) gets worse and worse.

Oh yeah, and you don't get your payday yet because your shares in the new company don't vest for 5+ years. So basically you have to work your ass off even harder while not calling the shots anymore if you want to see your payday happen. Notice how Patrick's LinkedIn job history goes from "President/Founder/Owner" of PRL to "Manager" and then to some random titles at Aftermarket Performance Group.

Also classic, he started a holding company. I'm nearly certain was made for the acquisition/tax purposes.

I've attached a banner image from their website – the irony is thick.

Anyway, I'm currently listening to a book called "These Are the Plunderers: How Private Equity Runs—and Wrecks—America" so great timing! I'm clearly biased but don't get your hopes up about things getting better.

APG_HP_Banner_001.jpg

Sorry that's so bleak. I'm disappointed to say the least

Last edited:

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Aww shit.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Based on the Founder of PRL's LinkedIn, it looks like the company is called Aftermarket Performance Group (APG). Anytime I see "vertically integrated blah blah blah" I can't help but roll my eyes. It reeks of private equity.

My guess is Patrick sold the company with the promise of a payday and having to worry less about admin work, paperwork, etc. That is usually true (look at this snippet from APG about page: "Every division of APG has a huge range of autonomy that's backed by a central office team that handles purchasing, fulfillment, accounting, IT, human resources, and much more."), but the monkey paw curls while the company you built gets squeezed for all of the paper value possible (another about page snippet: "By combining robust wholesale distributing infrastructure with high-powered E-commerce sites and our own manufacturing, APG seeks to provide a high return on investment while producing excellent profits for each division in the group."). It's almost always bad for the consumer (us).

Meanwhile, the Private Equity company rolls up a bunch of companies in an industry, does the same thing to them, and then sells the portfolio. Rinse and repeat while the end product (usually) gets worse and worse.

Oh yeah, and you don't get your payday yet because your shares in the new company don't vest for 5+ years. So basically you have to work your ass off even harder while not calling the shots anymore if you want to see your payday happen. Notice how Patrick's LinkedIn job history goes from "President/Founder/Owner" of PRL to "Manager" and then to some random titles at Aftermarket Performance Group.

Also classic, he started a holding company. I'm nearly certain was made for the acquisition/tax purposes.

I've attached a banner image from their website – the irony is thick.

Anyway, I'm currently listening to a book called "These Are the Plunderers: How Private Equity Runs—and Wrecks—America" so great timing! I'm clearly biased but don't get your hopes up about things getting better.

APG_HP_Banner_001.jpg

Sorry that's so bleak. I'm disappointed to say the least
Interesting and thanks for sharing. There's a fix for this and it's a simple one: people need to stop buying their shit. For going on a year, I've read countless posts on various forums and Reddit of people putting up with poor customer service and essentially begging PRL to sell them products. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I never understood this obsession with PRL.

Sponsored

dockleryxk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5
Interesting and thanks for sharing. There's a fix for this and it's a simple one: people need to stop buying their shit. For going on a year, I've read countless posts on various forums and Reddit of people putting up with poor customer service and essentially begging PRL to sell them products. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I never understood this obsession with PRL.
I ordered my PRL parts from Corey Poole at Two Step Performance. Problem solved.

To be clear, I don’t have a problem with PRL. It’s just Private Equity in general.

OP
OP
koatic

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are there more manufacturers of aftermarket parts for the DE5 specifically? I only aware of PRL, TSP, RV6 and 27WON.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Are there more manufacturers of aftermarket parts for the DE5 specifically? I only aware of PRL, TSP, RV6 and 27WON.
I wouldn't expect a large number of manufacturers to make DE5 specific parts since it's largely a North American market car.

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
I wouldn't expect a large number of manufacturers to make DE5 specific parts since it's largely a North American market car.
It's a bare market for sure, that was a concern when considering this car but it's just too damn sweet to pass up.

All 25 ITS owners are going to have a hard time with aftermarket options.

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
All of the powertrain parts except the catback are the same as FL5 and we have no shortage of interior mods. What DE5 specific mods do people want besides exhaust?

Sponsored

OP
OP
koatic

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Specifically I was looking forward to the PRL high volume intake for the FL5/DE5 but not sure it will make it to production now. Was going to do charge, front and down pipes at the same time but Went ahead and ordered the PRL intercooler as I have done all the badging except the front and only want to take bumper off once.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
suspension, wheel and brake mods will be the same as FL5 as well. Tuning covered as well.
Honestly would love some spoiler options, but otherwise FL5 mods have us covered right?

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Honestly, just more aero options as mechanicals are covered, as mentioned. Like all other complaints about the car, really more of a slight than a deal breaker.

Dakei

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec 6MT
Ah shit looks like I'm waiting on 27WON after all. Thankfully there's still Unity Performance to fill in the gap PRL left, but they only just got started with an online outlet a little more than one year ago.

dockleryxk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5
suspension, wheel and brake mods will be the same as FL5 as well. Tuning covered as well.
Honestly would love some spoiler options, but otherwise FL5 mods have us covered right?
Besides the catback difference mentioned above, the intake duct is a bit different. Other than that springs will be slightly different due to spring rates, but that's not a big deal
Sponsored