Lemon Law, might need some help?

jopapiiii

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
Hey guys, I bought my type s last year in August and have been loving it ever since. I use it daily and so all the drives I’ve done in it varies a lot; currently have under 12K miles.

starting at the beginning of the year, problems starting becoming appearing. It wouldn’t start but accessory mode would show. Freaked out because I thought I had to tow the car. But turns out I have to clutch in and hold the start/stop for at least 6+ seconds and then it starts. Thought it was odd, but I was like okay whatever. Some drive’s after that, it would start up normal. But it was still 50/50. Two days after that first incident, I was driving it normally and Christmas tree of lights came up on the dash; as following

Check engine
Check adaptive cruise control
Check braking system
Check rev match
Check emissions system

Took it to the dealer, and they fixed it quote on quote. A few weeks after that it happened again but this time my car was out for three weeks. Same lights and same issue with the not starting. luckily I was able to get a loaner for that duration of time

Now it has happened again. The start up problems started last Friday on June 7th and on the 14th, same lights on the dash and took it straight to the dealership. Since I took it after work and it was late I wasn’t able to get a loaner this time around but it’s not a big factor since I live like 3 miles away.

All the paperwork is in the car so I really can’t tell you exactly what it was until I get the car back and who knows until when. I really want to keep it since mine is performance red pearl and I don’t see any at all but regardless, this is the 3rd time for the exact same thing. So my question is, am I able to get this car lemoned?

(I do have videos of the start up trials but it’s kind of long and i don’t know if it’ll upload)
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
It's going to vary state to state. You're very likely going to need to consult a lawyer. I'd start looking into it if I were you.

OP
OP
jopapiiii

jopapiiii

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
Probably should’ve mentioned that I live in Florida. And okay cool thanks, I did start looking into one but can’t do anything since the weekend

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
Lemon Laws are complex and misunderstood by consumers.

I'm not a lawyer to go through the nuances of it, but seems FL is there with 30 says but its not just 30 days, other things need to apply. But also 'a reasonable amount of attemps' so there's your US justice system with interpretive language in just about anything.

Nothing wrong with consulting a professional, typically when you win its a buyback from MFG . I have known only 2 people that went through this personally.

I would not delay contacting one as you may need to give written notice and other things to the MFG and those are time sensitive operations.

Good luck.

hiddenrun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Apex Blue
The Florida Lemon Law is the easiest thing in the world to do. I've had one car taken back early and two bought back, all without using an attorney. Just fill out the requisite paperwork, follow all directions, and if you've got a legitimate claim, that's it.

Pay special attention to the 14-day notification of the manufacturer, because the clock starts then. If you've had more than 30 days of being in the shop, that's all it takes.

This is what you need to read... https://www.myfloridalegal.com/lemon-law/how-the-florida-lemon-law-works

And this is the form you're going to need to fill out... https://www.myfloridalegal.com/lemon-law/how-to-use-the-motor-vehicle-defect-notification-form

I'm also in Florida, so if you need any insight or help, feel free to PM me.

Sponsored

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
You think about replacing the battery in your fob? Could be a weak battery.

OP
OP
jopapiiii

jopapiiii

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
The Florida Lemon Law is the easiest thing in the world to do. I've had one car taken back early and two bought back, all without using an attorney. Just fill out the requisite paperwork, follow all directions, and if you've got a legitimate claim, that's it.

Pay special attention to the 14-day notification of the manufacturer, because the clock starts then. If you've had more than 30 days of being in the shop, that's all it takes.

This is what you need to read... https://www.myfloridalegal.com/lemon-law/how-the-florida-lemon-law-works

And this is the form you're going to need to fill out... https://www.myfloridalegal.com/lemon-law/how-to-use-the-motor-vehicle-defect-notification-form

I'm also in Florida, so if you need any insight or help, feel free to PM me.
perfect thank you.
Should I submit this while my car is in the shop or wait until I get it back?

OP
OP
jopapiiii

jopapiiii

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
You think about replacing the battery in your fob? Could be a weak battery.
Both fobs were already replaced after the first incident. Thought very little of that issue but the dealer changed it for me as a possible resolution

hiddenrun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Apex Blue
perfect thank you.
Should I submit this while my car is in the shop or wait until I get it back?
Do it immediately if you are at the 14 15 day mark, because you need to notify the manufacturer in writing at that time. You deal with the manufacturer, not the dealer (or BBB, or anything else like that). The form you need is on that link I sent. Fill it out as simply as possible and wait.

How many days cumulative has your car been in the shop?

edit: it's 15 days, not 14.

OP
OP
jopapiiii

jopapiiii

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I would honestly have to look at the paperwork but it comes to at least 30-45ish days. (Had one loaner put about 800 miles and had another put about 400 miles or so)

Since it’s Sunday nothing I can do today, so all I could do is mope around and just look at my spare key😅

Sponsored

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Hey guys, I bought my type s last year in August and have been loving it ever since. I use it daily and so all the drives I’ve done in it varies a lot; currently have under 12K miles.

starting at the beginning of the year, problems starting becoming appearing. It wouldn’t start but accessory mode would show. Freaked out because I thought I had to tow the car. But turns out I have to clutch in and hold the start/stop for at least 6+ seconds and then it starts. Thought it was odd, but I was like okay whatever. Some drive’s after that, it would start up normal. But it was still 50/50. Two days after that first incident, I was driving it normally and Christmas tree of lights came up on the dash; as following

Check engine
Check adaptive cruise control
Check braking system
Check rev match
Check emissions system

Took it to the dealer, and they fixed it quote on quote. A few weeks after that it happened again but this time my car was out for three weeks. Same lights and same issue with the not starting. luckily I was able to get a loaner for that duration of time

Now it has happened again. The start up problems started last Friday on June 7th and on the 14th, same lights on the dash and took it straight to the dealership. Since I took it after work and it was late I wasn’t able to get a loaner this time around but it’s not a big factor since I live like 3 miles away.

All the paperwork is in the car so I really can’t tell you exactly what it was until I get the car back and who knows until when. I really want to keep it since mine is performance red pearl and I don’t see any at all but regardless, this is the 3rd time for the exact same thing. So my question is, am I able to get this car lemoned?

(I do have videos of the start up trials but it’s kind of long and i don’t know if it’ll upload)
First, I would take it to another dealer.
Also, lemon laws may have changed but it used to be based on the amount of money in repairs after purchase I think, I actually got rid of a car on the lemon law once and walked away, years ago for a 1980 Chevy Malibu.

OP
OP
jopapiiii

jopapiiii

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
To me, all these problems sound like you have a weak battery in the car.

Either is that or a bad ECU.
All batteries were checked. I even have a report of it showing in good standing. Last checked again was on April 6th