Sponsored

New Type S Owner!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself.
Evidence aside, people that now own Type-S's likely come from other platforms; as I doubt a 50K car was where they started their passion for cars.

With other platforms that are factory turbo, the first mods are typically:
- Intake
- FMIC
- Downpipe
- Tune
- Intercooler Piping / Charge Pipe

For me, i am doing the upgraded intercooler because i don't like the stock one. The sides of the core where the hot side / cold side attach are plastic. In the past, i have had issues with the plastic cracking and causing a small boost leak (until a chunk is blown out). I prefer to avoid that entirely.
So you just do it because you feel obligated to? Let's just get straight to the point here, that doesn't seem like a very good reason does it?

Have their been any issues with OEM intercoolers cracking, or leaking in any way? Even if so, isn't that what warranty is for?

I think another piece that's missing is the end state. Big picture, whatever you want to call it- what your goals for this car are. I guess you're not happy with the amount of power you get from the factory? I think that's the critical divide for me. I think the power is perfectly adequate from the factory, to the point where I think that much more and the car is effectively ruined. I don't think it's an appropriate platform to pursue big power, considering all the attention paid to inputs to make this a "driver's car"... which involves turning rather than going in a straight line. Plus the obvious elephant in the room in it being front-wheel drive. Physics just isn't kind to having the front tires doing everything all at once, so throwing a lot of power into that just kind of defeats the purpose for me.

But to each their own. Some guy in Puerto Rico has their ITS in the 10s apparently, and a lot of people are talking about him. If that's your goal then yeah, I think an aftermarket intercooler makes sense.

One could easily look at this post as "hating", and I'm often accused of that on these boards. I prefer to look at it is helping people, especially people new to this platform, perhaps gain a better understanding of what could actually make the car "better", rather than just throwing parts at it arbitrarily.

Or, maybe I just like to shake things up a bit and make people think. And I am genuinely curious why so many people jump straight to a new FMIC, when I haven't really seen anything highlighting any actual benefit- but HAVE seen plenty of evidence of it causing a massive pain in the ass by overheating. I guess that doesn't really happen unless you're an avid track rat, but still. It's a lot of money and pain for something that doesn't really yield much benefit unless you're throwing 30psi and/or an aftermarket turbo in the mix.
Sponsored

OP
OP
justa335i

justa335i

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2025 Acura Integra Type S
Duh, says it right there. Thanks. I have a K&N air filter in now but now I would like to do this. But I also want to do the Acuity Stage 2 shift kit first, https://acuityinstruments.com/colle...it-for-the-11th-gen-civic-and-5th-gen-integra.
I would recommend going with another brand like PRL.
The build quality wasn't great, everything was covered in oil, and there was powder coating overspray all over the inside of the intake tube (K&N is sending me a replacement). Also, the powder coating looks terrible, and you can see the masking lines which is inconsistent on both flanges they welded on.

This is the Amazon Listing I ordered

If you check the reviews, there are photos. I figured their issues were a one off, but mine had the same problems.

TXWayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 MDX A-Spec
I would recommend going with another brand like PRL.
The build quality wasn't great, everything was covered in oil, and there was powder coating overspray all over the inside of the intake tube (K&N is sending me a replacement). Also, the powder coating looks terrible, and you can see the masking lines which is inconsistent on both flanges they welded on.

This is the Amazon Listing I ordered

If you check the reviews, there are photos. I figured their issues were a one off, but mine had the same problems.
Thanks for the feedback, will check out other options.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'm also curious about the intercooler, and the charge pipes for that matter. If you did everything else like downpipe, intake, etc. etc., threw a stage 2 tune on the car, what else would you really get with the intercooler? It does seem like folks starting down the mod road are quick to replace it, although I suspect most aren't tracking the car.

Not directed at the OP necessarily, just a general question for anyone who wants to chime in.

Sponsored

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
The intercooler question feels a bit silly to me. It’s not necessarily the best mod, but it still a net gain in power and cooled intake temps. Plus some nice whooshing sounds. I don’t think you can make the argument that adding a bit of power to the car is ruining the experience when most of us have dropped the car on lowering springs and messed with offsets/alignments which truly changes how the car drives and introduces more torque steer. I personally did the intercooler because it looks cool and I like to tinker with mods, plus I track 2-3 times a year so why not.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The intercooler question feels a bit silly to me. It’s not necessarily the best mod, but it still a net gain in power and cooled intake temps. Plus some nice whooshing sounds. I don’t think you can make the argument that adding a bit of power to the car is ruining the experience when most of us have dropped the car on lowering springs and messed with offsets/alignments which truly changes how the car drives and introduces more torque steer. I personally did the intercooler because it looks cool and I like to tinker with mods, plus I track 2-3 times a year so why not.
An intercooler makes whooshing sounds?

And it’s this part right here that gets me-

“I like to tinker with mods”

and “why not.”

If that isn’t the definition of arbitrary I don’t know what is.

Also, asking these types of questions isn’t silly or hating. Especially in this context. There has been plenty of discussion around aftermarket intercoolers CAUSING overheating issues. If it’s a “why not” situation, then there ya go right there.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I think the question you guys are getting at becomes, "does a larger intercooler which exchanges more heat block more airflow to the rest of the cooling stack?". Truth is, lower iat is nice, but not at the expense of your water temp, and definitely not at the expense of any additional weight that far forward on the car. Even 5lbs up there is noticeable on a track.

If you're just doing highway pulls and drag then it doesn't really matter.

Also, there's a reason oem tend to do tube and fin over bar and plate. While bar and plate is more efficient at exchanging heat, it's doing so by slowing down the airflow with the thicker and flatter bars. This has other net effects on aero and effectiveness of the stock hood louvre. Again, won't matter much if you're just doing drag.

On the mk7 gti and r platform it was very common for people to swap bigger intercoolers (or stupidly add an additional intercooler even further forward without removing the stock one), then go to the track and get water into the red with timing being pulled after 3 to 4 laps. Blown thermostat housings also become the norm, because with stock power they were already a flawed design...

But at the end of the day, it's always nice to see people try and see what the real world results would be. Let us know how it works out! If you've got all the pipe out, I would also get some gold foil and wrap EVERYTHING. gold foil is amazing for keeping the heat out... More so than replacing piping and stuff.

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
An intercooler makes whooshing sounds?

And it’s this part right here that gets me-

“I like to tinker with mods”

and “why not.”

If that isn’t the definition of arbitrary I don’t know what is.

Also, asking these types of questions isn’t silly or hating. Especially in this context. There has been plenty of discussion around aftermarket intercoolers CAUSING overheating issues. If it’s a “why not” situation, then there ya go right there.
I guess I don’t follow or understand the point you are trying to make. Arbitrary is considering ohlins for a car which you most likely are unable to exceed stock capabilities. It just comes off very “old man yells at cloud” for no reason.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I guess I don’t follow or understand the point you are trying to make. Arbitrary is considering ohlins for a car which you most likely are unable to exceed stock capabilities. It just comes off very “old man yells at cloud” for no reason.
I get it, and that's a fair point. I didn't need to pick this thread to launch into a tirade against aftermarket intercoolers, but we're all here to talk cars aren't we?

And getting an intercooler for no reason other than "I felt like I should" makes more sense?

Also the point about the Ohlins is shaky at best. They provide a clear and obvious benefit over stock (and it's arguable to say I'm already hitting the limits of the factory suspension but that's beside the point.) An intercooler does not, at least not as far as anyone has weighed in so far. I'd almost be content to leave that alone as-is, but there's actually an element where the intercooler makes the car WORSE that needs to be discussed. That's the point I'm trying to make. By all means, I welcome you to challenge this point with facts and data to back them up. That's the whole point of the exercise. Just because I say it doesn't make it right, but no one has proven me wrong thus far.

You're coming off very much as "I wasted a good amount of money, time, and energy on a part that isn't necessary (and may lead to shortened sessions at your next track day)", but at least you have a reason. I'd be irritated if someone pointed this out too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I love Optronix! I'm telling you we need some national get together so we can have these conversations in person. What a blast that would be!

Reason I bring up the intercooler thing is because I feel like adding it on my last car was useless. I did see some IAT drop but it really seemed like a mod geared towards drag racing. If the car is moving, it didn't seem to do all that much. It was heavy too and sat wayout under the front bumper / crash bar area.

I agree on the lowering springs thing too. I like the extra stiffness and cornering flatter and stuff, but maybe not the best mod for hardcore track use. For me, The look/stance of the car is as important as the handling benefit. 98% of my driving is around town after all. Also, I'm probably driving at the track at say 90% of the car's capability. Going twice a year isn't enough seat time to really take it too seriously. I do want to get faster, but don't want to spend a ton of money on suspension mods. Plus I know the car is more capable in stock form, than I can exploit.

Hearing that the Intercooler could be detrimental at the track is what has me thinking it's a waste. However, I have lowering springs because I think it makes the car look cool. LOL. to each his own right?

TXWayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 MDX A-Spec
There are far more things one can do to the car than I have $$$ for. Just got the carbon fiber overlay for the center console piano black that never stays clean and could spend a whole lot more on doing the entire car but probably won’t. When I look at what’s next and what might have the best ROI on my daily driver I am looking at the Acuity Stage 2 shift kit. Read about it and watched a video of a guy who installed it and looks great. I ended up with this car because I wanted to go back to MT and they are few and far between, love my decision. So if there is something that can improve the shift I am all in. I installed their countersunk, insulated shift knob and love it. I have never been a car guy, until now, so bit of a novice and thus I think performance is find so I will focus on what makes my drive more enjoyable.

myhdnromance

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Acura Integra, 2004 WRX, 2016 MDX, 2024 Type S Integra.
But does the 25 have the mirror tilt?!? im still waiting on that other persons response....

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I love Optronix! I'm telling you we need some national get together so we can have these conversations in person. What a blast that would be!

Reason I bring up the intercooler thing is because I feel like adding it on my last car was useless. I did see some IAT drop but it really seemed like a mod geared towards drag racing. If the car is moving, it didn't seem to do all that much. It was heavy too and sat wayout under the front bumper / crash bar area.

I agree on the lowering springs thing too. I like the extra stiffness and cornering flatter and stuff, but maybe not the best mod for hardcore track use. For me, The look/stance of the car is as important as the handling benefit. 98% of my driving is around town after all. Also, I'm probably driving at the track at say 90% of the car's capability. Going twice a year isn't enough seat time to really take it too seriously. I do want to get faster, but don't want to spend a ton of money on suspension mods. Plus I know the car is more capable in stock form, than I can exploit.

Hearing that the Intercooler could be detrimental at the track is what has me thinking it's a waste. However, I have lowering springs because I think it makes the car look cool. LOL. to each his own right?
I'm glad somebody gets me lol. I know I can come off as combative on here but it's 95% the forum- I don't care what anyone says, it's easier to "dehumanize" in an online format, I know I'm guilty of that occasionally but I at least try to keep it under control and I assure you I have acceptable communication skills in person- and 5% whatever mood I'm in.

Same with the mods. I won't do something unless it makes sense. If an intercooler upgrade made sense, then I'd be interested- but so far, it doesn't for this platform, at least for anything other than what I already acknowledged in my first post. Which to be clear, is an almost exclusively drag racing/fast street car application going for big power. Maybe some people do want that, but personally I don't.

The springs, same sitch. I know they're not an ideal mod for performance either, but I have to look at this thing every day. I go back and forth on if I'll ever even get coilovers week to week as well. Ideally this will be my every day car for a long, long time (I know I've said it before but I want to get at least 10 years out of this thing), and if I am to go down a heavy track use scenario I will want a dedicated car for that. So a few more suspension tweaks without getting too far down the rat hole, an exhaust and intake mostly for noise, and that's probably when I'll hit the line in the sand for every day usability vs performance...

But someone else may want to run in the low 11s while driving it to work every day. I may not want that out of my car, but seems doable, and to each their own. In that case, you'll probably need an intercooler to support that.

Last edited:

dockleryxk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5
@optronix I completely agree with your point, especially with your ethos.

My only reasoning was the following:
  • it looks badass
  • it does have a function, but I don't actually care if it benefits me much or not (although I could argue it's necessary for my Kuro turbo, but I won't)
  • Drob put one on his car so it couldn't be the worst idea
I'm not saying those are good reasons. In fact, those are probably bad reasons, but the REAL reason if you peel back everything is it makes me happy.

That said, I'm not going to pretend there are some deep, important reasons for what I did to justify it lol
Sponsored