Acura dealership failed to register my plates

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
He couldn't tell me if my car was currently unregistered or for how long I had been driving an illegal vehicle. He blamed the CDK hack...which did not start until June 19th.
Yeah that's some fucking bullshit. They know they fucked up and the outage is the perfect scapegoat and opportunity to sweep their fuckup under the rug.

Also fuck CDK for paying the ransom.

Blek le Roc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'73 Alfa GTV, '24 ITS
I drove my ITS with the plates from the Subie I traded in for a few days, before I had a chance to register the new car. Good thing no LEO ran the plates... But I was still in the break - in period, so I didn't do anything stupid.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Yeah that's some fucking bullshit. They know they fucked up and the outage is the perfect scapegoat and opportunity to sweep their fuckup under the rug.

Also fuck CDK for paying the ransom.
Pretty much every company in recent history has paid the ransom, whether they admit it or not.

Sponsored

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
The hack was certainly a disruptor, and it's not unusual for dealerships to drag on the process of submitting for plates, so their story could be absolutely true from that timeline. Personally I would just feel good that it all worked out for you and maybe move on to your next worries and concerns. Take it from an old guy that life is too short to worry about what could have happened to you that might have been bad.

TXWayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 MDX A-Spec
In Texas the dealer always handles the registration, wait a few weeks and they call to come get them while driving with a temp. For my two MDX's it went fine and I got my ITS from a BMW dealer, they did the paperwork to transfer the special plate I had on the 2016 MDX I traded in and I just held on to the plates and used a temp. They called to come pick up the registration sticker which I did and then put the plates on.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
i'm pretty sure my dealership did this for me, and i thought that was the norm
It's so state dependent. Most states the dealer literally can't do it because property taxes are due during registration as well as license, insurance proof, and in person validation.

Could always get a po box in Montana like every wealthy person escaping taxes and avoid all sales and property taxes. There you don't even have to be present to provide any proof.

jnotguilty_21

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi Q7 and Acura Integra Type S
Hello,

I've been lurking for a few months, but this is my first post -

I took possession of an Integra Type S (Tiger Eye Pearl, just love the color/car in general!) on May 31st. Everything went smoothly, aside from a drawn-out negotiation that eventually ended in my favor. The car came with plates and a registration; I did not have to get a temp.

Fast-forward to July 23rd: I got a call from someone at the dealership saying that my car was not registered and my plates were invalid because of the CDK hack, and I'd have to go get a temp plate from them. He couldn't tell me if my car was currently unregistered or for how long I had been driving an illegal vehicle. He blamed the CDK hack...which did not start until June 19th. I had been in Ohio for a music festival with my girlfriend the previous weekend, so it would have been truly awful if the car had been impounded.

I immediately went to the dealership and got my temp plate. My salesperson apologized profusely, but still couldn't explain how a hack two weeks after I got the car resulted in my driving an illegal vehicle. Or why it took them until the end of July to inform me. When I tried to talk to dealership management about it, they rudely blew me off and told me they would call me about it later.

It's been a week and they have yet to call me. I'm feeling pretty pissed off. Am I overreacting, or is this something I should reach out to Acura corporate about?
I'd be pissed off too!! WTF...
Sponsored