Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
the problem with the aftermarket air filters is they don't filter nearly as well as paper filters. so yes you gain performance but you are sacrificing engine longevity.
Is there documented evidence of this, or just conjecture?

I'm not being a dick, I actually am curious if there's any scientific evidence of this.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS

I'm not being a dick, I actually am curious if there's any scientific evidence of this.
There is measurable evidence that they don't filter the same. Video will start at the dust test.

But engine longevity issues. I don't think is that bad.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S

Anecdotally, I believe it's safer for turbo engines than N/A, as the compressor wheel will eat any of the (small) debris that makes it through.

You will see accelerated compressor wear... is it substantial? Couldn't tell you.

boosted_canoe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Si

yea, lots of people have tested the filtration efficiency. someone already posted the Project Farm video i was going to link.

Sponsored

boosted_canoe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Si
I felt a notable difference once I put in AFE drop in filter, PRL intercooler and downpipes next. Was going to try out spoon but $250 for a drop in filter is just crazy.
Spoon uses relabeled Green filters i think. much cheaper.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
WHAAA?? 250 for just a filter?? I would just get like the spoon oil cap or something cheap with the spoon logo. Having spoon logo attached anywhere on the car adds like 5hp. (Because all your paying for it the name.) joking :hmm:
Now that it's been a little bit, how are you feeling about the changes?

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
There is measurable evidence that they don't filter the same. Video will start at the dust test.

But engine longevity issues. I don't think is that bad.
Just throwing this out there for anyone that hates videos and prefers reading like me,

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

TLDR, what you gain in flow you often lose in filter efficiency, and surprisingly flow on modern paper filters is way better than you'd think. It's an old article, but no less valid today.

Interestingly, I've seen new filters arrive from aftermarket manufacturers for aftermarket intakes or factory ones with holes big enough for a grain of rice to pass through! You should be able to hold a filter up to the light and see no light pass through.

If you're ever concerned about your filter choice, an oil analysis can certainly help point out issues, but isn't foolproof either.
Sponsored