Changing from OEM Tires on Type S

ushift

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
FWIW, I found the stock Michelin PS4S tires on my new Type S noisy, particularly but not exclusively on concrete roads. I have a lot of poor quality roads where I live, and the noise was interfering with my enjoyment of what I think otherwise is a great car. I have owned sports cars with aggressive summer tires previously, and I understand road noise comes along with better grip and sharper handling. But these tires on the Type S seemed noisier than the other high performance summer tires on my previous cars. The alignment seemed ok, inflation was fine, and there was no additional wear after 1400 miles. A week ago, I decided to take the risk and purchase new tires for my Type S -- Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus. I did so understanding that these are all-season tires, and that I may sacrifice a bit of the grip and performance vs. summer tires. Just my opinion, but I think the new tires are significantly quieter -- to the point where I am no longer focusing on the tires and just enjoying the car. We'll see how they perform over time.
Sponsored

Yato

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Soon
Great to hear. Ordered a set about a week ago.

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 RS3, 2023 Type R
Good to read it worked out for you...Did you loose any cornering or handling ability/feel?
I’ve had both on the same car/wheels and you definitely will — DWS 06+ is a great all season but PS4S is noticeably better on a warm, dry day.

b0nb0n

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 1999 Civic, 1997 Celsior
The factory tires on a warm day are some what of a miracle.

The all seasons I switched to for winter have changed the dynamics incredibly. Oversteer with correction on corner exit and confidence is out the window. To be expected. Tire noise is much less but that never bothers me. 255/35/19 Falken Azenis FK460 A/S

That said, it is still a joy to drive.

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Yeah the noise doesn't bother me either. It's not as noisy as other cars I've had but I do notice that some roads are worse than others.

I'm not excited to swap out to all seasons but it's necessary if I want to drive it in the cold months.

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
Didn’t want to start a new thread, so gonna post this here. I was finally inspecting my PS4S while I was cleaning the garage last weekend. I tracked these once at road America, as I have with other PS4s in the past. But I’ve never seen a wear pattern like this. Any thoughts? Guess this proves near 0 scrub?
IMG_4441.jpeg

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Didn’t want to start a new thread, so gonna post this here. I was finally inspecting my PS4S while I was cleaning the garage last weekend. I tracked these once at road America, as I have with other PS4s in the past. But I’ve never seen a wear pattern like this. Any thoughts? Guess this proves near 0 scrub?
Over inflation??? Looks like only the dead center was affected. Can't think of another issue that would have done this because it's such a square tire

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
agreed, over inflation. I had a bit of a time keeping air pressures under control at the track last week. Between changing temps throughout the day and picking up between 5 and 7 lbs of pressure during a session it ws tough. One session finished with the fronts at 39 and 40 lbs. (gained 7-8 lbs on driver front in one 30 minute session)

maybe your temps got high while on the track?

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
That could be it, though I made sure to try to keep pressures under control. But like you said, trickier than expected especially on a high speed course. Would you have any concern using these in the future? Think they’re safe since it’s not like the chords are showing

Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I would definitely keep using those tires in the future. Lots of life left in them!

eric123406109

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2021 RAV4 Prime, 1987 911
FWIW, I found the stock Michelin PS4S tires on my new Type S noisy, particularly but not exclusively on concrete roads. I have a lot of poor quality roads where I live, and the noise was interfering with my enjoyment of what I think otherwise is a great car. I have owned sports cars with aggressive summer tires previously, and I understand road noise comes along with better grip and sharper handling. But these tires on the Type S seemed noisier than the other high performance summer tires on my previous cars. The alignment seemed ok, inflation was fine, and there was no additional wear after 1400 miles. A week ago, I decided to take the risk and purchase new tires for my Type S -- Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus. I did so understanding that these are all-season tires, and that I may sacrifice a bit of the grip and performance vs. summer tires. Just my opinion, but I think the new tires are significantly quieter -- to the point where I am no longer focusing on the tires and just enjoying the car. We'll see how they perform over time.
I just picked up my ITS today. I love it, but do find it to be noisier that I like. I’m hoping that DW06 tires will solve this!

Brian G

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RLX
Our parkways in NY are made of concrete and the car is very noisy. On fresh blacktop, it is fine. Not sure how much is coming from the tires verse limited sound insulation used to keep weight down.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
I have a question related to changiong from the stock tires, I hope the OP doesnt mind.

We have 265/30/19 tires now, I don't know anything about tires, and wheels, off sets, etc.. so I am a bit lost.
What I was hoping to do with my limited understanding of tires is order a slightly wider tire with a little more sidewall.
I was hoping that I could fit a 275/35/19 or even a 275/40/19 on the Type S, along with 20 mm spacers.
I was hoping this combo would sit closer to flush but wouldn't rub, the added side wall would dampen some of the road stuff and offer a little more protection against breaking a wheel in a pothole.
I know that you can use a few different width tires on the stock rims, but how do I calculate if this set up will rub or is that something the tire shop, I deal with will be able to do for me?
When I get to tire calculators they ask a lot of questions about the wheels, like make, brand, off set and I don't have any of that information.
I was really hoping other users might help me make sense of this or maybe others have already done this.
Sponsored