Sponsored

Changing wheel specs

moneypal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S White
Hello everyone, sort of new to any real modification on cars, my biggest experience was a shifter kit on my old accord.
I am thinking about purchasing apex vs-5rs wheel and want to downsize to an 18 inch.
Does downsizing rim size and keeping a relatively similar tire spec to match oem geometry mess with the suspension of the car at all. Does downsizing wheels warrant needs for coil overs or any suspension work at all?
Might be a dumb question but appreciate input.
Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
No problem at all. Go with 265/35 tires and you’ll maintain very close outer diameter. Most folks going with those rims get the +45 offset. Technically that’ll change things slightly, but it will likely be imperceptible. The car will look much better thanks to the better stance as well. be warned that unless you’re getting the latest and greatest version of those rims, you may experience difficulties with Michelin tires seating correctly, and holding air. Many folks are fine, but there are definitely a handful that I’ve had issues, me included. In the last few months, I think they’ve made some design changes to make them more compatible with Michelin tires so if the wheels have yet to be made, you’ll probably be fine.

OP
OP
moneypal

moneypal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S White
No problem at all. Go with 265/35 tires and you’ll maintain very close outer diameter. Most folks going with those rims get the +45 offset. Technically that’ll change things slightly, but it will likely be imperceptible. The car will look much better thanks to the better stance as well. be warned that unless you’re getting the latest and greatest version of those rims, you may experience difficulties with Michelin tires seating correctly, and holding air. Many folks are fine, but there are definitely a handful that I’ve had issues, me included. In the last few months, I think they’ve made some design changes to make them more compatible with Michelin tires so if the wheels have yet to be made, you’ll probably be fine.
Yea I saw the forum discussion about the Michelin issue right after I posted this that’s a shame, I’ll prolly only get the wheels in a few months or even next summer so hopefully it’ll be good by then.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
They are nice wheels and very light. They go with our cars look too.

GTO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 17 BRZ
Hello everyone, sort of new to any real modification on cars, my biggest experience was a shifter kit on my old accord.
I am thinking about purchasing apex vs-5rs wheel and want to downsize to an 18 inch.
Does downsizing rim size and keeping a relatively similar tire spec to match oem geometry mess with the suspension of the car at all. Does downsizing wheels warrant needs for coil overs or any suspension work at all?
Might be a dumb question but appreciate input.
I've been running Apex VS-5RS with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 265/35-ZR18 since October 2023 without issue. No loss in pressure or anything odd to report. Handling isn't quite as crisp but the gains of confidently driving the car in seasonal weather is a tradeoff I'll take all day, every day. No regrets whatsoever.

The VS-5RS are a direct fit wheel so no need to mess with spacers or adapters. Just be aware that you also need to get a set of conical seat lug nuts which is typical for aftermarket wheels.

I purchased a set of OEM TPMS 42753-T6N-E03 rather than transfer them from the OEM wheels. The ITS will automatically learn new OEM TPMS so no need to reprogram anything.

If you prefer an Acura center cap then order four 44732-TGV-A01 which fit the Apex wheels.

Personally, I think this car looks better with the 18" wheels, a more squared tire and the wider offset. This is how the setup looks on my stock ITS...

IMG_0658.JPG

Rear.jpg

Front2.jpg

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I just picked up my car yesterday afternoon from having 19" x 9.5 +45 Apex VS-5RS installed. I am running OEM diameter and stayed with the OEM Michelin PS4S but the offset did change a few things; I wouldn't call it imperceptible but not significant enough to be a deterrent. Switching to all seasons is a dramatic change but as others have noted, depending on your use case probably a better fit for folks who may not engage in motorsports-ish activities and would prefer a year-round tire without having to swap. Eventually when these PS4S are cooked (they're getting there fast...) I'll put a set of more capable tires that will change things yet again and probably won't even think about the OEM setup.

18s shouldn't change much other than probably offering a softer ride, and be more resistant to potholes. Apex has a fantastic replacement program in the worst case scenario however.

It is personal preference if you like the look of 18s, personally I prefer 19s but tire sizes for 200 TW options are pulling me in the direction of getting 18s eventually for dedicated track/autocross wheels anyway. We'll see how things go with Cup2s, RT660s, or I believe Nankang has an option in 19" too before I commit to 18s though.

1717150135271-nl.png
Sponsored

Last edited: