Sponsored

Charge pipe PRL or HPS

edido

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS (TEP)
Hi,

I have the PRL intercooler. I read some threads comparing HPS and PRL charge pipes. It seems like HPS gives more hp, but I don’t really understand why. Is it because it’s slightly wider? Or because aluminum structure makes bigger impact?

Fitment and installation, HPS is a bit harder because it’s tighter. Not sure if it’s has any future downside impact. Likely not.

If you can share any insights to help me with a decision I would highly appreciate!
Sponsored

bisquick

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS, '19 LSM RDX A-Spec
Given that HPS uses a combination of alloys and silicone, you can expect longevity over PRL.

Secondly, drag and expansion is theoretically reduced with HPS given the alloy design therefore the velocity of the air should be more higher and more consistent.

I’m not sure of the inner diameters of either, but silicon hoses are generally thicker to in comparison to alloys to provide the same level of rigidity.

If you care for opinions, personally I would go with HPS simply due to the fact that it’s made with alloy over silicone. It should outlast all OEM and aftermarket hoses which will ultimately fail with time.

Last edited:

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Car(s)
23 FL5 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
In my experience (180+ dyno tests on the FL5 platform) charge pipes are unlikely to add much if any extra power for most builds, your biggest gain is better appearance and increased long term durability over the factory rubber pieces.

I'd choose PRL over HPS every time, going with the company that really invests into the Honda/Acura community.

MacKharoni

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic 06 si, Infiniti G37, Acura Integra Type S 24
I have HPS in mine. I got it on sale back in February. I love it. The installation was super easy and straight forward. Other thing different is the ID bigger than PRL. More pieces to install.

OP
OP

edido

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS (TEP)
Thank you all. Pros and cons for each, but no major issues with any.

I will go with PRL. I am sure both are fine. I plan on stage 1 tune only for the foreseen future.

Sponsored

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
Thank you all. Pros and cons for each, but no major issues with any.

I will go with PRL. I am sure both are fine. I plan on stage 1 tune only for the foreseen future.
Only thing to note, PRL requires the front bumper removed, HPS does not. That said, swapping the support for the HPS is its own pain, otherwise it was an easy install.

OP
OP

edido

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS (TEP)
Only thing to note, PRL requires the front bumper removed, HPS does not. That said, swapping the support for the HPS is its own pain, otherwise it was an easy install.
Got it. I am removing the bumper anyway to install PRL intercooler and black A badge.

OP
OP

edido

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS (TEP)
One more question:
- Any issues with installing PRL charge pipe kit with the stock intercooler?

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
One more question:
- Any issues with installing PRL charge pipe kit with the stock intercooler?
Are you selling your pipes and intercooler? Saw an FS post. The cold side charge pipe won't fit on the intercooler side. The new prl intercooler cold side fitting had a larger OD.

OP
OP

edido

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS (TEP)
Yes, I am selling both. Before selling I was thinking to keep the PRL charge pipe with the stock intercooler. I will be installing other parts in that area anyway.

But, sounds like it won't work well with the stock intercooler. Based on PRL website, they claim it should work with the stock:
  • COMPATIBLE WITH ALL FACTORY FITMENT INTERCOOLERS - PRL MOTORSPORTS INTERCOOLER UPGRADE RECOMMENDED FOR OPTIMAL FITMENT & RESULTS

Sponsored

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
Yes, I am selling both. Before selling I was thinking to keep the PRL charge pipe with the stock intercooler. I will be installing other parts in that area anyway.

But, sounds like it won't work well with the stock intercooler. Based on PRL website, they claim it should work with the stock:
  • COMPATIBLE WITH ALL FACTORY FITMENT INTERCOOLERS - PRL MOTORSPORTS INTERCOOLER UPGRADE RECOMMENDED FOR OPTIMAL FITMENT & RESULTS
You might be able to, but the charge pipe inner diameter on the cold side is slightly larger and when i tried it seemed a bit too loose for my liking so I held off until I got the intercooler.

OP
OP

edido

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS (TEP)
I couldn't find anyone in this or FL5 forum who installed the PRL charge pipe with the stock intercooler.

Maybe I should buy HPS instead?

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
since the prl intercooler comes with different ends for if you have stock or their charge pipes, i DO NOT think you can use the PRL charge pipes with stock intercooler. and i do not think any other brand charge pipe will fit over the PRL intercooler. i think charge pipe is a wasted mod. but to each their own

MacKharoni

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic 06 si, Infiniti G37, Acura Integra Type S 24
since the prl intercooler comes with different ends for if you have stock or their charge pipes, i DO NOT think you can use the PRL charge pipes with stock intercooler. and i do not think any other brand charge pipe will fit over the PRL intercooler. i think charge pipe is a wasted mod. but to each their own
Hps works well with PRL intercooler

LunaticSM

First Name
Dstyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LSM Integra Type S
HPS claims that their charge pipe gains 13HP but is that with the stock intercooler or with the PRL intercooler?

I'm not interested in a PRL intercooler (have been hearing about heat issues caused by it blocking airflow to the radiator) but wondered if there is any reason to install an HPS charge pipe on a stock intercooler and if this would produce HP gains alone. Thanks
Sponsored