Drivetrain vibration / metal rattle sound

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I noticed the exact same sound in my ITS around 400 miles. I can hear it very clear if it is in third gear at 40mph and I let completely off the gas changing the load on the engine to slow down it is very pronounced. I thought there was something wrong, but everything checked out and I couldn't place the noise myself. This is my first turbo car, so I appreciate this post. Relieves a little stress.
Sponsored

ApexBlueITS

First Name
De
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra ITS Apex Blue, BMW E39 M5, Audi S4
Yeah that's not the "wastegate" thing at all. Get under your car and figure that out- better yet, get it into the dealer ASAP.

I'd take a good solid look under the car to make sure it's nothing obvious before I drove it anymore, to me that noise is not normal.
I put the car on the lift and found the problem. The TPMS sensor was knocked loose upon impact of animal. Thank goodness nothing serious.

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I put the car on the lift and found the problem. The TPMS sensor was knocked loose upon impact of animal. Thank goodness nothing serious.
TPMS? Isn't that inside the tire?

Sponsored

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes. Inside the tire. I rotated the tire with my hand and can hear the TPMS rattling loose.
Literally never heard of that and didn't know it was possible. Thought it was secured via the valve stem, but admittedly have never replaced one myself... I smacked the shit out of a curb just the other day (not the first time)- figured that would have more of an impact than with an animal.

Live and learn. Glad to hear it was sorted.

Nezd

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R Fk8
I don't really know how else to describe this- but basically when I'm at around 3500 or so rpm and very light throttle, I can hear and feel a slight vibration. It reminds of a heat shield rattle, and clutch chatter, but not really exactly like either. It's not dependent on any one gear.

I've heard there are noises associated with the electronic wastegate but the videos I've heard don't really match what I'm experiencing in my car. And I can't duplicate without the clutch fully engaged which leads me to believe it's drivetrain related. But it's close so I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

I've had some run-ins with random interior buzzes and rattles that seem to come and go, but this one is fairly easily duplicated. I'm naively hoping it goes away as I continue to accumulate miles as part of the break-on procedure, because I REALLY don't want to have to chase this down with a dealer tech...
Some time has passed, but have you solved the problem and if so, how? I have exactly the same problem with my FK8 right now

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's less obvious, or I've gotten more used to it, or both. It doesn't bother me nearly as much.

But it is definitely still there.

drysol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
Mods- looks like I'm not the only one. This thread here appears to be describing the same issue. Would probably be best to join these threads- or, since it's just me talking to myself here, delete this one.

https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/metal-on-metal-sound.51270/
I think I have the same issue in my ITS. Im at about 950 miles and I started hearing this at 800 miles or so. No performance difference, but I can reproduce the noise every time around 3500 rpm. I first heard it when Im in 1st wt 3500ish rpm and clutch in. As I’m still holding the clutch to switch to 2nd, I will hear a noise close to a small metal piece rattling in a pipe. The descriptions above are accurate too. Anyway, did anyone figure what this noise is? Is it normal?

Sponsored

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So quick update. I did finally get around to getting the car in to the dealer to at least have record that I tried to get this issue looked at. Spoiler alert, the noise is not gone but there were a couple notable things as this will be a developing story:

- I suggested/offered that I take a ride with the tech to make sure they know what noise I want fixed. After some confusion on both ends, I ended up waiting for an hour in the lounge for them to NOT go on a ride with me but to tell me they're good, they told me they heard the noise and they'll let me know next steps. No loaner, but a paid-for Uber ride back to my house. Any previous "luxury" brand I've owned would have just sent me off in a loaner no questions asked- and I already had about 90% confidence rating that they would not successfully fix the noise.

- I got the car back later that day with them telling me the noise was fixed. They said it was a "plastic piece reverberating between the blower motor and evaporator"; I didn't argue at this point just wanted my car back. I picked the car up and to my unsurprise- I can still duplicate the noise. BUT, somehow, whatever they did made some kind of a difference. Before, I noticed that basically any time I downshifted and the revs climbed to over 3k rpm, I heard a brief rattle. Sometimes this would happen when statically revving not under load (I don't do that often), or just simply decelerating off throttle. I don't really hear that anymore, or it's been significantly reduced. I can still get it to buzz when applying ~2/10ths throttle between 3-4k rpm in any gear... but when the revs passively go through that range I don't hear anything anymore. It has made a substantial difference in the overall reduction of noise in the cabin.

This makes me think that there could be two separate issues. I'm going to get it back in there and force them to allow me to show them exactly what noise needs fixed and how to duplicate it- just not sure when. I have pretty much lost virtually all confidence in this dealer, but I can't really argue that whatever they did was completely useless, and I don't even know where the next closest Acura dealer is so I kind of don't really have a choice- but be aware that for some of you this "plastic piece between blower and evaporator" could fix your issues.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I have the same thing, chalked it up to something hitting resonance.

Basically I have experienced all noises people seem to mix up.

1) Waste gate rattle. I have to have the windows down and the music at less than volume 3 to hear it but it's any gear, any rpm but 100% off throttle, engine braking. Stops instantly if I hit the gas or put in the clutch.

2) Rock in between rotor and shield. Can't miss noise, so horrendous a sound, feels like the wheel is about to come off. You'll hear it regardless of everything else so long as you're moving.

3) I think this is the sound the thread was created for but between 3k and 4krpm under very light throttle there is what I would describe as a metallic warble that has a range of loudness and frequency, never exactly the same but very similar. It disappears instantly if you accelerate hard or let off the throttle completely but in the latter case the noise changes to what I described in #1.

If they find a fix I'd love to know, I just hope it's not something slowly rattling it's way to failure. If not chalk it up to more race car sounds. :cool:
Sponsored