DRL Tinting Legality

EricHuerta

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A Spec
I’ve been looking at some red DRL tints and was interested in getting them but I looked up the laws in California and it seems it’s be illegal to have a tint other than yellow or white. I use my integra as a daily driver and I was looking for suggestions, what do you guys think should I not buy them after all? This is what they would look like from pictures online
IMG_8541.jpeg
Sponsored

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
That's kind of cool, but may not be as eye catching as yellow or white. Have to wonder if the police would even bother making a big deal out of it. Or if the car wouldn't pass inspection. I say do it and ask for forgiveness later!;)

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Red is for brake lights, which is why you don't want it anywhere on the front of your car.

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
Great for you as the driver I guess. Maybe.

Quite inconsiderate of anyone having to drive past you at night.

Your eyes are used to a white light and are trying to see things...then along comes something that changes color, has less lumens, its distracting and at the extreme hurtful (not the red, but other things people do). Same for turning (yellow in general) and stopping (red as already mentioned).

Look I get it, we like mods...my favorite was clear sides (which are common in europe) to clean up the look of the car but the actual function and light of the indicator *does not change*.

Just mod responsibly :D

Sponsored

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
Red and blue exterior lights are reserved for emergency vehicles in most states thus illegal there.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
That would Guarantee a 400+ dollar ticket by the first cop I pass in my state and California is hella more strict and they surely would not “forgive” the fine.

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI ; Acura Integra Type S
Have you checked the Department of Transportation website for your State? Here in Wisconsin, window tint is quite clearly defined - Red, Amber, and Yellow tint is NOT legal. The degree of tinting allowed for each window location is clearly identified and varies from 50% to 5%. The only confusing thing is that percentage tint number defines the amount of light transmitted through the window - so a 5% tint is much darker than 50%

No firsthand experience, but was told the State Police carry some type of kit that can measure tint. Don't know anyone picked up for an aggressive tint, but if you piss off a cop for some other reason that's yet another ticket he can write.

Had an AMG Mercedes with tinted side windows - while they looked great, I live in the country (dark at night) and had to roll down the window to see my driveway entrance.

And remember, the laws vary by State, so if you travel a lot - might be worth checking those States, too.

Padre Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra A-Spec, Tech. MT
Red facing forward is also for emergency vehicles. That said, in my 20 years as a Paramedic in a much earlier life, the flashing reds and siren just made us a bigger target…that and in balmy Arizona folks have the windows up with the AC blasting and can’t hear the unit….and instead of pulling to the right to yield the right of way, when they noticed the lights they hit their brakes and stopped right in front of us…..no more forward facing red lights for me, thank you very much.

E-Rod

Honda Fanatic
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 NSX, 2006 S2000, 2024 Integra Type-S
Red facing forward is also for emergency vehicles. That said, in my 20 years as a Paramedic in a much earlier life, the flashing reds and siren just made us a bigger target…that and in balmy Arizona folks have the windows up with the AC blasting and can’t hear the unit….and instead of pulling to the right to yield the right of way, when they noticed the lights they hit their brakes and stopped right in front of us…..no more forward facing red lights for me, thank you very much.
Thanks for reducing whatever hope I had left for humanity... o_O
Sponsored