IMG_5299.jpeg

This might give it away…

Sponsored

chuuey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra, '02 GT2, '01 Land Cruiser, '98 M3
Really nice thread, OP- enjoying your perspective on a variety of cars and their respective experiences.

Congrats on the RS- a true timeless winner as the factory 964s continue to get gobbled up for modernization. Rubystone is a stunner.

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
Looks like one of the colors from the classic Porsche commercial 'Colours', but I thinks that was 993 and not 964. Either way, I personally like a late 80s/90s 911 in a non standard color. Thats just a good looking car no matter how you slice it :)

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S and some others.
Transition from an incredible event, I finally have a chance to collect my thoughts on the 964 RS.

When I drove the car briefly a few months ago, I enjoyed it but did not have a chance to really understand the car. I got to spend 3 days and over 500 miles on some incredible roads around and the tail of the dragon. Now, I feel like I finally understand the car. The legendary status is well deserved. It is a very specialized car and if you are looking for this specific combination, there probably is not a better car. First of all, the car is 32 years old but feels rock solid and performs incredibly. The analog nature is great. Unassisted steering, no rev hang, a shifter that takes a bit of work, suspension that allows a bit of movement, small tires (compared to modern cars), the finely tuned engine all works perfectly together. Up shift timing needs to be pretty quick so rev does not fall too far, downshift rev matching takes commitment (if the throttle closes and rev drops too low, it takes a bit of rev it back up), the steering communicates all the details you would want, the front needs weight transfer for good turn in while balancing getting weight back to the rear, the suspension takes a brief moment to take a set. Practicing getting into the flow with all of this while enjoying the amazing sound track, one of the best driving experiences!

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Extremely fortunate that I also got to experience a few other incredible Porsches besides the 964 RS. About 20 miles of amazing roads in a 993 RS, a short test drive in a 997 GT3RS 4.0L, and ~2 hours in a CGT! To me, the 993 RS is “too refined”. The 997 GT3RS 4.0L and CGT are truly special!

Bringing it back to the ITS, jumping back into the ITS after some amazing cars, it still feels special to me. The combination works very well and all the unique touches do add up to making it a special car and experience.

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
A 997 GT3RS is at the very top of my list as far as "eff you money" cars go. 4.0 even more so... probably my #1 Porsche of all time.

I haven't figured out the appeal of air-cooled Porsches.

You must have some truly interesting friends lol.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A 997 GT3RS is at the very top of my list as far as "eff you money" cars go. 4.0 even more so... probably my #1 Porsche of all time.

I haven't figured out the appeal of air-cooled Porsches.

You must have some truly interesting friends lol.
I had a chance to drive the 3.8L version before and thought it was great but not quite “grail” material. Before driving the 4.0L, I thought it would just be a little better here and there. Perhaps typical of Porsche, all those small improvements made the 4.0L “grail” material.

Aircooled simplicity is pretty awesome (no water pump, no liquid coolant passing through block and heads, no radiators for this liquid, etc). The mechanical sounds are enjoyable. The overall build is also very solid feeling. My mind is still blown that the 964 RS I drove is 32 years old. Every time, I close the door, that sound brings a smile to my face.

I am definitely grateful for the amazing friends that made these experiences possible (well, one way or another, there is a “price” to pay :rofl: ). There was a Singer 911 and F40 that I did not get to drive. :p

RamVA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beat, Acty, Integra Type-S, Motocompacto
I had a chance to drive the 3.8L version before and thought it was great but not quite “grail” material. Before driving the 4.0L, I thought it would just be a little better here and there. Perhaps typical of Porsche, all those small improvements made the 4.0L “grail” material.
I have a 997.1 GT3 (3.6, non-RS) as my track car (still street-legal). It used to be an amazing road car, but I largely ruined that with my track mods (mostly suspension, but also the carbon buckets and the solid motor mounts). I could use another 100hp, but it is perhaps one-fifth the cost of the 4.0, so I live with it.

OP
OP

ForeverCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a 997.1 GT3 (3.6, non-RS) as my track car (still street-legal). It used to be an amazing road car, but I largely ruined that with my track mods (mostly suspension, but also the carbon buckets and the solid motor mounts). I could use another 100hp, but it is perhaps one-fifth the cost of the 4.0, so I live with it.
As a track car, I would imagine you have addressed the coolant pipes, yes?

At least you turned it into an amazing track car. :thumbsup:
Sponsored