Sponsored

Soon to be New Owner of ITS - Question!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I hate to ask since it's so subjective, but do you mind elaborating on "slippery at low speeds?"
No, I didn't articulate what I meant well at all. Note the time I posted it. That's my excuse lol. I'll try again.

You know how you drive some (most) other front-wheel drive cars and they "feel" front-wheel drive? To me, one of the ways I describe this sensation is "slippery"... maybe it's just my brain's way of referencing it to a similar experience, but I always felt like the way a typical FWD car steering felt was sort of like how a RWD car felt when the road was wet. That might be a bad analogy but that's what led me to using the term "slippery"... and this is mostly only noticeable at parking lot speeds.

I was one of those "never-FWD" guys until I started hearing about the FK8, and by proxy FL5, and how they "didn't feel FWD". That was pretty much the only reason I ever even considered this car, and as you can tell from my effusive praise it did not let me down. For me, I never notice the car is front-wheel drive until the slight torque steer kicks in.

I recently bought a set of Apex VS-5RS, 19 x 9.5 +45, this past spring. I'm using the OEM PS4S. I instantly noticed the steering feel changed after the wheels were installed. It feels more front-wheel drive. More "slippery", in my own (probably misleading) parlance.

Let me be clear, it's not enough to deter the experience. Far from it- especially since once you get up to speed it virtually disappears and the car feels normal. and I LOVE the way the wheels look on the car. In fact most people probably wouldn't notice- but as a prior "RWD or bust" guy with my sports cars (seriously, I didn't even want a 911 Turbo or Carrera 4S for similar reasons), it's probably more noticeable to me than most others.

Hopefully that clears things up. My main point is that it was noticeable after just altering the offset of the wheels by 15mm... throwing a bunch of aftermarket suspension components could potentially ruin the way the car drives, judging off this experience.

tire.jpg

That makes sense. I'd say I tested out the slippage pretty thoroughly LOL
Eww... How? Factory camber? How many miles?
Sponsored

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
No, I didn't articulate what I meant well at all. Note the time I posted it. That's my excuse lol. I'll try again.

You know how you drive some (most) other front-wheel drive cars and they "feel" front-wheel drive? To me, one of the ways I describe this sensation is "slippery"... maybe it's just my brain's way of referencing it to a similar experience, but I always felt like the way a typical FWD car steering felt was sort of like how a RWD car felt when the road was wet. That might be a bad analogy but that's what led me to using the term "slippery"... and this is mostly only noticeable at parking lot speeds.

I was one of those "never-FWD" guys until I started hearing about the FK8, and by proxy FL5, and how they "didn't feel FWD". That was pretty much the only reason I ever even considered this car, and as you can tell from my effusive praise it did not let me down. For me, I never notice the car is front-wheel drive until the slight torque steer kicks in.

I recently bought a set of Apex VS-5RS, 19 x 9.5 +45, this past spring. I'm using the OEM PS4S. I instantly noticed the steering feel changed after the wheels were installed. It feels more front-wheel drive. More "slippery", in my own (probably misleading) parlance.

Let me be clear, it's not enough to deter the experience. Far from it- especially since once you get up to speed it virtually disappears and the car feels normal. and I LOVE the way the wheels look on the car. In fact most people probably wouldn't notice- but as a prior "RWD or bust" guy with my sports cars (seriously, I didn't even want a 911 Turbo or Carrera 4S for similar reasons), it's probably more noticeable to me than most others.

Hopefully that clears things up. My main point is that it was noticeable after just altering the offset of the wheels by 15mm... throwing a bunch of aftermarket suspension components could potentially ruin the way the car drives, judging off this experience.

Eww... How? Factory camber? How many miles?
I think what you're feeling is the diff, based on your description. This car tries to manage torque steer via mechanical means, and it works pretty well, but it's still very much there. The lack of slip makes it feel more aggressive at times for sure. Wider track will make it a tad bit less effective since the torsional force has to be applied a longer distance along the axle and it's a reactionary system. You should drive a vw gti sometime. They use an electromechanical diff and it preemptively cuts the torque steer to make it effectively 0 before the slip occurs. It feels less mechanical, which isn't quite as fun, but it's way more refined and consistent.

Those tires look toe worn to me. I haven't gotten my its on a rack yet, but I bet from factory it's off. That looks like some toe dragging on that side.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I'm at 12k miles and I'm just now hearing like rattles from panels I was thinking to fix it with like the stuff people use for subwoofers for dynamat also starting to get passenger window problems thT it won't go up it comes back down but all in all this is a damn bad ass car . I get compliments every where I go . It's fun and enjoyable and has lots of potential
Agreed. The rattles and "quality" issues are annoying for a car at this price point. There's the argument to be made that every car has their fair share of rattles but the less expensive cars I've owned in the past didn't nearly have the same issues as the integra especially at having less than 2,000 miles.

But it sure makes me smile driving it around (if i can ignore the rattle/buzzing lol) and just the other day at the grocery store, as my family and I were walking up to my car in the distance, I could see this guy look at the car as he walked by. Then he kind of stopped and came back to look more intently, then he took a picture.

She's a looker for sure and I find myself looking back at her whenever I walk away.

Nivek2slick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra type s
Agreed. The rattles and "quality" issues are annoying for a car at this price point. There's the argument to be made that every car has their fair share of rattles but the less expensive cars I've owned in the past didn't nearly have the same issues as the integra especially at having less than 2,000 miles.

But it sure makes me smile driving it around (if i can ignore the rattle/buzzing lol) and just the other day at the grocery store, as my family and I were walking up to my car in the distance, I could see this guy look at the car as he walked by. Then he kind of stopped and came back to look more intently, then he took a picture.

She's a looker for sure and I find myself looking back at her whenever I walk away.
I mean we say a car at this price point but unfortunately this price point is what would've been under $30k so to me it's a driver's car . Sti from Subaru are loud as shit but nobody says anything cuz it's the type of car it is it's expected we just need to get used to it

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I mean we say a car at this price point but unfortunately this price point is what would've been under $30k so to me it's a driver's car . Sti from Subaru are loud as shit but nobody says anything cuz it's the type of car it is it's expected we just need to get used to it
I disagree about the getting used to it part. We should still have an expectation of better build quality from a car that's $56k and marketed under a "luxury" brand.

It doesn't need to be Lexus-quality but I think it should still be better than a Mazda.

Sponsored

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
I can't hear any rattles above the tire/road noise, I think rattles are not a big issue at all.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
I disagree about the getting used to it part. We should still have an expectation of better build quality from a car that's $56k and marketed under a "luxury" brand.

It doesn't need to be Lexus-quality but I think it should still be better than a Mazda.
Yep. It's the "luxury" marquee I have a problem with. It's like tesla trying to brand themselves as luxury... Just not quite. Nicer than a Honda or lincoln, but not nicer than a mazda. Definitely not a lexus, merc, audi, BMW, or even vw.

I do understand that 60k today doesn't buy what 30k did 15 years ago. It will only become more true as the industry evolves. There's just a ton of tech and software now that didn't exist before. That adds a ton to development, upkeep, and design penalties to build up that cost. At some point soon I imagine personal car ownership is going to decline dramatically and people will stop owning almost entirely. Rideshare and public transit systems will have to take over. There are just too many people who can't help but buy vehicles at loan values that are 30-50% of their gross yearly pay. It's just not sustainable for the average American anymore, and even middle consumer luxury brands will take a major hit.

Again though, out of all the options in cars today, this was the only one I found worth buying. If the gti would have kept a manual AND fixed the craptastic "modernized" interface I would have bought another gti... They didn't, and so I didn't. The its is like a vw gti clubsport s for America, but not quite as nice on fit, finish, and some materials. However, it's much better looking, much cheaper on parts, many more options for go fast bits like tires, brake pads, rotors, wheels, and generally more "enthusiast" in nature to make it more fun.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS

Sure... but... I think it's a fallacy to think of "this price point". I think too many people still think that $52k is supposed to be a lot for a car. It isn't.

Have you seen what a Mustang will run you these days? A Ford Explorer? F-150? Cars are just expensive. $52k is not what it used to be, and many people tend to forget that fact.

Nivek2slick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra type s

I mean that's fair when you bring up the luxury part . I just revert back to the RSX and the Integra of old and nobody said anything due to the price being lower and it was an Acura then . It's just everything being so expensive you want and expect more and I get that . I just got used to not expecting much out of my dollar . I enjoy the car for what it is . If I wanted more luxury I would've looked elsewhere to me this a sweet spot . I had a Q50 red sport loved the car but no manual and tech sucked but it was quite and smooth but not fun . I also have a different perspective I worked in car industry for 10 years so I see what manufacturer are giving for the price and so forth . We are paying a premium for nostalgia. If we wanted bang for buck it's probably the Elantra N .

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I mean that's fair when you bring up the luxury part . I just revert back to the RSX and the Integra of old and nobody said anything due to the price being lower and it was an Acura then . It's just everything being so expensive you want and expect more and I get that . I just got used to not expecting much out of my dollar . I enjoy the car for what it is . If I wanted more luxury I would've looked elsewhere to me this a sweet spot . I had a Q50 red sport loved the car but no manual and tech sucked but it was quite and smooth but not fun . I also have a different perspective I worked in car industry for 10 years so I see what manufacturer are giving for the price and so forth . We are paying a premium for nostalgia. If we wanted bang for buck it's probably the Elantra N .
I still don't think it's unfair to expect more from it and yes, because it's an Acura. Hell, even a Honda -- I expected a little better from a Honda.

But none of these were a secret before I got the car. I read all the complaints and none of it proved to be a dealbreaker. At the end of the day, it doesn't really have any realistic competitors to people like me who wouldn't consider a hyundai. And you're right! There's a premium for that nostalgia - just look at all the folks on the other forums gushing over the Type R vs Type S.

If you look at my original response to you, I'm still very much enamored with it. I look back at it every time I walk away from it and it's a gas even just driving around town. I still plan on keeping this car for quite a while. I just hope it's not a rattlebox in a few years!

Sponsored

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Anyway, not to derail OPs question - mine was built earlier this year and it's got a handful of the commonly mentioned rattles like behind the HUD, front camera housing, seatbelt/B-pillar trim. Should be curable with a little bit of time, effort and foam tape.

It's not very noticeable if you ride around with the windows down or you have the radio on but they're there. The car honestly has a fair bit of road/tire noise too so I guess that helps?

Nivek2slick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra type s
I still don't think it's unfair to expect more from it and yes, because it's an Acura. Hell, even a Honda -- I expected a little better from a Honda.

But none of these were a secret before I got the car. I read all the complaints and none of it proved to be a dealbreaker. At the end of the day, it doesn't really have any realistic competitors to people like me who wouldn't consider a hyundai. And you're right! There's a premium for that nostalgia - just look at all the folks on the other forums gushing over the Type R vs Type S.

If you look at my original response to you, I'm still very much enamored with it. I look back at it every time I walk away from it and it's a gas even just driving around town. I still plan on keeping this car for quite a while. I just hope it's not a rattlebox in a few years!
Yeah I gush and look back at it every time I walk out .. I as well hope to have it for very long time too

OP
OP

Bandit_333

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i
Anyway, not to derail OPs question - mine was built earlier this year and it's got a handful of the commonly mentioned rattles like behind the HUD, front camera housing, seatbelt/B-pillar trim. Should be curable with a little bit of time, effort and foam tape.

It's not very noticeable if you ride around with the windows down or you have the radio on but they're there. The car honestly has a fair bit of road/tire noise too so I guess that helps?
Yes, it helps! I don't mind tire road noise. Rattles are annoying. I don't have any in my M240i. And my e46 was rattle-free for 135k miles/20 years. But, I get that the Integra is made in US so there's going to be annoying issues like rattles.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
But, I get that the Integra is made in US so there's going to be annoying issues like rattles.
That gets thrown around a lot but do a search on the fl5 forum and you'll see the same issues on the supposedly superior built FL5.

OP
OP

Bandit_333

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i
Let me throw another question in this post...color scheme if you had the choice liquid carbon/ebony or apex blue pearl/orchid? Liquid carbon looks amazing to me, but I am wondering if the apex blue/orchid would be more unique and hold better value?
Sponsored