Sticky/Jerky Steering issue

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
I got a call today from the service manager. He said that there is "no news" but he wanted to keep in touch. He did offer me a rental car if I felt my car was unsafe to drive. I told him that I didn't think it would be unsafe other than perhaps on ice/snow where overcorrecting could cause a skid. Luckily we don't see much of that weather here in Tennessee.

He said that no parts are available, but he has three customer (and one of his own techs) that are experiencing the issue, so it's a priority for him. He also said he's driven cars that exhibit the behavior and it's absolutely an issue. I feel sorry for those of you who have dealers that can't reproduce the issue.

So I'm still waiting. I have a dealer that recognizes the issue and wants to fix it, but there are no parts available. How long will it take? No one seems to know. He did say that Honda had a steering recall (I assume he's referring to the one for the steering rack that was causing rubbing issues) and that the new part numbers may be part of that effort.

I still love my Integra. Bombing down a twisty backroad, there is no issue. It's just when you're going straight and having to make small corrections to stay in the lane or go around mild corners.
Sponsored

Integration

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra MT A Spec
I'm glad to hear several of you have gotten traction, and that some dealers are taking it seriously. For the next month or two, I'm going to sit tight.

I have filed a NHTSA report, and sent a message to corporate Acura as well.

Like the rest of you, I still love the car. It's funny that it's still just as good on a twisty road. Just get the car on a long straight road and it's miserable.

bdisco

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜24 ITS, ā€˜21 Bronco, ā€˜15 Chevy 2500, ā€˜88 911
Does the ITS and CTR have a different rack? Are they exempt from this issue? I expect something like this from Ford and my Bronco not Honda.

Integration

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra MT A Spec

Sponsored

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
Got an email from Acura Customer Service and they asked me to provide a service invoice where I reported the issue to the dealer, who I am working with at the dealer, when the issue started, what had been done to correct it, etc.

That's also promising. When I have had to deal with Honda Customer Service in the past, they were far less responsive.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
Another update.

Received a call from Honda today. The agent verified my information and said a case worker would be contacting me next week to assist with getting the part. She said they could put in a "critical" request. I believe the dealer told me they have already done that, but it wouldn't hurt to have another request.

So far, the dealer and Honda have been responsive. The only issue is...there are no parts available. I'm about a 6 hour drive from Marysville, OH...maybe I can go snatch one off the assembly line. :)

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
How's this for an odd data point. On my first drive in the car at about -10Ā° (or whatever in fakenheit) it feels like it's completely disappeared. It took a while for winter weather to finally arrive here, and if this keeps up I'll have to wait for spring before I can get it looked at. Maybe we'll have recall by then.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA35 AMG
How's this for an odd data point. On my first drive in the car at about -10Ā° (or whatever in fakenheit) it feels like it's completely disappeared. It took a while for winter weather to finally arrive here, and if this keeps up I'll have to wait for spring before I can get it looked at. Maybe we'll have recall by then.
Are you in Vancouver area, I observed exactly the same thing!

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Are you in Vancouver area, I observed exactly the same thing!
Ok so I wasn't dreaming. I'm in Hamilton, not quite the tropics you're in but not the wildest winters either. Let us know if it comes back once your usual spring-like conditions are restored.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA35 AMG
Ok so I wasn't dreaming. I'm in Hamilton, not quite the tropics you're in but not the wildest winters either. Let us know if it comes back once your usual spring-like conditions are restored.
Yeah i didnt post it because i just thought i'd gotten used to it, or havent driven for long enough to warm up. Thanks for posting! I've been hypothesizing there is an operating temperature range it exhibits most. After stop and go traffic and feeling it sticky, i got the impression it got better a few mins after the hwy opened up, i was thinking it cooled down enough from being blasted with -10C.
Whats worst is the canadian tropics here allow the steering gearbox to be within the 'sticky' temperature range quite often.

Integration

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra MT A Spec
Seems crazy, but we had some 10F weather in Texas, and it improved markedly. It's back to 40 degrees today and quite noticeable. Makes no sense, but there you have it.

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
I filed a report with the NHTSA this morning. I urge everyone else having this issue to do the same. Hopefully itā€™ll light a fire under them.

Iā€™m waiting to take it to the dealer until thereā€™s an official fix. I really dislike them working on my car, plus I wonder about alignment issues since my car is dropped low on coilovers. I am assuming that theyā€™ll have to realign it bc of the steering rack swap. Iā€™m pretty picky about my alignment, as I always take it to a specialty place and pay a higher than average price for it.

PJK3

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Liquid Carbon Metallic / Red A-Spec Tech
After things cooled off here, the sticky steering issue became more pronounced again. I finally got annoyed enough with it (along w/ a groan/squeak in the driver's front seat) that I brought it to the dealer.

The service advisor (admittedly new) wasn't aware, but the service manager immediately took it for a drive. Regretfully, the sticky steering didn't act up at that time. However, they gave me a loaner, kept the car overnight, and had "our most meticulous technician" drive the car.

They contacted me a couple days later and told me they ordered a new steering rack and a new front seat back.
Tech's comments in the work order:
1. TECHNICIAN TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR MULTIPLE MILES UNDER SAID CONDITIONS. TECHLINE FORUM POST RELATED TO THESE EXACT CUSTOMER'S CONTENTIONS PROVIDED PROOF OF A KNOWN ISSUE THAT IS UNDER REVIEW FROM ACURA AT THIS TIME. ELECTRIC POWER STEERING GEARBOX REPLACEMENT CAN REPAIR THE ISSUE AT THIS TIME BUT NO UP DATE INFORMATION AT THIS TIME. LATEST UPDATE WAS ON 10/23. ORDERED PART
Acura of Baton Rouge really seemed on the ball with this. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Also, they loaned me a CVT Integra (275 miles)... I don't know how people drive that thing! šŸ¤¢ :dunno: The engine, vehicle speed, and accelerator seem completely disconnected from each other. It's definitely not for me.

(edit: clarity / typo)
Sponsored

Last edited: