Type S Winter Wheels / Fitment Specs

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
So is anyone aware of an 18x9.5" wheel with a 53 to 60mm offset? I see apex has a flow formed and forged option, so that's two, but I haven't seen any other options out there... Has anyone else?
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Otherwise have to go custom to get close-to-OEM offset.

As for winter setups, never too early to start thinking about that, right? Which is why in May I had the 265/30/19 Continental DWS06+ I bought last year to go on the OEM wheels swapped BACK onto the OEM wheels (after swapping the Michelins back on them in April), so I could put the OEM Michelins on my Apex VS-5RS for the rest of the "driving season".

IMHO, if you're going to have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, you're doing yourself a massive disservice by leaving Continentals (or other all seasons) on in the summer. They're not bad tires, but they're nowhere near as good as the OEM Michelins, and there's just no reason for them in the summer months, I don't care where you live or how much you drive in the rain. These OEM Michelins are specific to our cars, and really are fantastic tires for everything short of serious track or competitive autocross use.

And as much as I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you folks who insist on not tracking the car to get TF out there and TRACK YOUR CARS.... an all season tire just doesn't belong on a car like this in the summer. Might as well have just gotten an A spec if you're just going to default to all-seasons on a car that's this capable of putting in serious "motorsports" work. It's a travesty.

That said, my Michelins have seen better days, even though there's only 7k miles on them. They'll be getting swapped out for either Falken RT660s or Nankang Sportnex CR-S next spring, because those are the most sensible choices for 200 treadwear options available for 19". Main reason is to (further) embarrass Porsches in autocross.

Last edited:

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Otherwise have to go custom to get close-to-OEM offset.

As for winter setups, never too early to start thinking about that, right? Which is why in May I had the 265/30/19 Continental DWS06+ I bought last year to go on the OEM wheels swapped BACK onto the OEM wheels (after swapping the Michelins back on them in April), so I could put the OEM Michelins on my Apex VS-5RS for the rest of the "driving season".

IMHO, if you're going to have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, you're doing yourself a massive disservice by leaving Continentals (or other all seasons) on in the summer. They're not bad tires, but they're nowhere near as good as the OEM Michelins, and there's just no reason for them in the summer months, I don't care where you live or how much you drive in the rain. These OEM Michelins are specific to our cars, and really are fantastic tires for everything short of serious track or competitive autocross use.

And as much as I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you folks who insist on not tracking the car to get TF out there and TRACK YOUR CARS.... an all season tire just doesn't belong on a car like this in the summer. Might as well have just gotten an A spec if you're just going to default to all-seasons on a car that's this capable of putting in serious "motorsports" work. It's a travesty.

That said, my Michelins have seen better days, even though there's only 7k miles on them. They'll be getting swapped out for either Falken RT660s or Nankang Sportnex CR-S next spring, because those are the most sensible choices for 200 treadwear options available for 19". Main reason is to (further) embarrass Porsches in autocross.
With kc potholes, I can't stomach the idea of doing 19s in the winter months. We also just get sucky ice a lot, so all seasons are out. I had great luck on my gti with the vredstein wintrac pro. Decent ice traction and they actually drove like a performance tire, just in winter... And with obviously lower limits. The responsiveness and balance were still sporty. I'm giving them a go again.

I also just passed 600 miles, so it's time to change some oil and get it on track. I've rented out a track in Iowa in September. I've driven that track on ps4s in a cayman gts before. Not sure if they were n-spec or not, but they actually did well. I ate the whole set in a day because it did like 3 hrs total and it's not a super smooth track.

It's amazing how stepping down to an 18 gets you a world of more options in tire and fitment, though. 200tw and slicks galore.

I agree with you on the ps4s making a perfect street tire for this car. The ps4s is just the perfect tire in general. So much so I got them for my wife's q7 🤣. With a 22" wheel and the ps4s I dropped 14lbs per corner. Drives like a hot hatch now.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With kc potholes, I can't stomach the idea of doing 19s in the winter months. We also just get sucky ice a lot, so all seasons are out. I had great luck on my gti with the vredstein wintrac pro. Decent ice traction and they actually drove like a performance tire, just in winter... And with obviously lower limits. The responsiveness and balance were still sporty. I'm giving them a go again.

I also just passed 600 miles, so it's time to change some oil and get it on track. I've rented out a track in Iowa in September. I've driven that track on ps4s in a cayman gts before. Not sure if they were n-spec or not, but they actually did well. I ate the whole set in a day because it did like 3 hrs total and it's not a super smooth track.

It's amazing how stepping down to an 18 gets you a world of more options in tire and fitment, though. 200tw and slicks galore.

I agree with you on the ps4s making a perfect street tire for this car. The ps4s is just the perfect tire in general. So much so I got them for my wife's q7 🤣. With a 22" wheel and the ps4s I dropped 14lbs per corner. Drives like a hot hatch now.
If I lived in KC I would absolutely do winter tires. Us coastal elites, especially here near the Mason-Dixon line, generally can get away with all seasons. I tried winters one year on my S3 and was pretty disappointed when it basically didn't snow at all that year. Potholes can be bad but they're usually patched up fairly quickly if they're tire-damaging bad. Unless it's actually IN DC or Baltimore- but you're usually going less than 30mph there anyway.

The DWS06 are a great compromise! For the winter months. I just question the logic behind folks who put them on all year. It just strips a large part of the fun away, and doesn't really offer any tangible benefits outside of convenience of leaving them on year round (they're not substantially quieter or more comfortable).

My honest take is that if you can't afford/don't want to bother with changing out tires in the fall and spring, then just skip a car like this. An Si, A spec, A3, lower end 3 series etc. would all suit these folks just fine, and they all come with all seasons. Not enough power with those cars? Then step up to a Challenger or AMG or something if you only care about going fast in a straight line.

I realize this take makes me an asshole to many people on this board. To these folks, I give you my favorite Uncle Rico gif, and remind you it works both ways and you don't have to listen to me. But you should.

napoleon-dynamite-uncle-rico.gif

/rant

I know all about the tire choices opening up with 18s. But my specific use case for this car is all purpose, and I don't like the way 18s look on this car. I've been called shallow.

It's a no-cost option to select summer tires on the Macan (at least it is for the GTS), but I skipped them and went with all seasons on my wife's, for the sole reason of knowing I wouldn't want to bother with changing them out twice a year, and I'd rather spend the $8k on full Xpel Stealth than an extra set of wheels and tires. Does that make me a hypocrite? Technically no, because it's her car. But every time I drive it in the summer I WISH it had PS4S on it. Oh my GOD that car's potential is crippled with all seasons... but she doesn't seem to notice or care. If she wasn't my wife I'd call her an idiot and she should have got the base model, or a Q5.

Sponsored

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
If I lived in KC I would absolutely do winter tires. Us coastal elites, especially here near the Mason-Dixon line, generally can get away with all seasons. I tried winters one year on my S3 and was pretty disappointed when it basically didn't snow at all that year. Potholes can be bad but they're usually patched up fairly quickly if they're tire-damaging bad. Unless it's actually IN DC or Baltimore- but you're usually going less than 30mph there anyway.

The DWS06 are a great compromise! For the winter months. I just question the logic behind folks who put them on all year. It just strips a large part of the fun away, and doesn't really offer any tangible benefits outside of convenience of leaving them on year round (they're not substantially quieter or more comfortable).

My honest take is that if you can't afford/don't want to bother with changing out tires in the fall and spring, then just skip a car like this. An Si, A spec, A3, lower end 3 series etc. would all suit these folks just fine, and they all come with all seasons. Not enough power with those cars? Then step up to a Challenger or AMG or something if you only care about going fast in a straight line.

I realize this take makes me an asshole to many people on this board. To these folks, I give you my favorite Uncle Rico gif, and remind you it works both ways and you don't have to listen to me. But you should.

napoleon-dynamite-uncle-rico.gif

/rant

I know all about the tire choices opening up with 18s. But my specific use case for this car is all purpose, and I don't like the way 18s look on this car. I've been called shallow.

It's a no-cost option to select summer tires on the Macan (at least it is for the GTS), but I skipped them and went with all seasons on my wife's, for the sole reason of knowing I wouldn't want to bother with changing them out twice a year, and I'd rather spend the $8k on full Xpel Stealth than an extra set of wheels and tires. Does that make me a hypocrite? Technically no, because it's her car. But every time I drive it in the summer I WISH it had PS4S on it. Oh my GOD that car's potential is crippled with all seasons... but she doesn't seem to notice or care. If she wasn't my wife I'd call her an idiot and she should have got the base model, or a Q5.
Id love a second set of wheels with dedicated summer tires. Just havent pulled the trigger and waiting for a sale or someone offloading a set. Any takers out there 😉.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Id love a second set of wheels with dedicated summer tires. Just havent pulled the trigger and waiting for a sale or someone offloading a set. Any takers out there 😉.
You've got like 10Gs in your engine, spend a little on the parts that actually touch the ground.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
You've got like 10Gs in your engine, spend a little on the parts that actually touch the ground.
Every time i look the VS-5RE arent in stock. Then i question what wheel width and or offset i want.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Every time i look the VS-5RE arent in stock. Then i question what wheel width and or offset i want.
The 18x10.5 et 47 are the best choice imo. Wider wheel for more rubber for heat tolerance and keeps the offset close to factory setup for inside clearance, torque steer consistency, and steering feel. Based on some measurements I did, I think a 285/30/18 will fit well and provide a 2% tighter gearing ratio. Probably overkill for 99.9% of street setups.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The 18x10.5 et 47 are the best choice imo. Wider wheel for more rubber for heat tolerance and keeps the offset close to factory setup for inside clearance, torque steer consistency, and steering feel. Based on some measurements I did, I think a 285/30/18 will fit well and provide a 2% tighter gearing ratio. Probably overkill for 99.9% of street setups.
Yeah that's REALLY aggressive... but you're probably not wrong. I don't think 10.5 with 285s would fit without rubbing though so there would be more implications beyond just wheel and tire selection. I think @Integra23 is on Eibach Pro-kit springs and has a few other suspension components (I see camber arms in there somewhere) so maybe he's already good to go, but that's what kept me away from going that wide.

Also I just said earlier today that I don't like how 18s look. I won't argue that they're not the better choice for true performance though.

The inventory for Apex can be challenging. Well... for wheels for this car in general. They almost NEVER have wheels in stock... but generally their waiting period isn't too bad. I knew I was throwing a fit when I ordered mine but as soon as I started seriously considering cancelling I got an email they were shipped. Very happy with them, don't see myself moving off them anytime soon.

Titan7 have some great options and I think you can find them in stock occasionally, and if you lurk in the classifieds people occasionally will have killer deals.

Actually, you should REALLY consider these if you've got the scratch; I was VERY interested in them as well but just a bit too aggressive for me: https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/volk-racing-g025-dark-amber-clear5x120-19x10-34mm.52883/

Sponsored

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Yeah that's REALLY aggressive... but you're probably not wrong. I don't think 10.5 with 285s would fit without rubbing though so there would be more implications beyond just wheel and tire selection. I think @Integra23 is on Eibach Pro-kit springs and has a few other suspension components (I see camber arms in there somewhere) so maybe he's already good to go, but that's what kept me away from going that wide.

Also I just said earlier today that I don't like how 18s look. I won't argue that they're not the better choice for true performance though.

The inventory for Apex can be challenging. Well... for wheels for this car in general. They almost NEVER have wheels in stock... but generally their waiting period isn't too bad. I knew I was throwing a fit when I ordered mine but as soon as I started seriously considering cancelling I got an email they were shipped. Very happy with them, don't see myself moving off them anytime soon.

Titan7 have some great options and I think you can find them in stock occasionally, and if you lurk in the classifieds people occasionally will have killer deals.

Actually, you should REALLY consider these if you've got the scratch; I was VERY interested in them as well but just a bit too aggressive for me: https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/volk-racing-g025-dark-amber-clear5x120-19x10-34mm.52883/
I have seen those.. its in a green color so negative $$ since i would have to get them stripped and powder coated.

Victorofhavoc

First Name
Gordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra type s
Yeah that's REALLY aggressive... but you're probably not wrong. I don't think 10.5 with 285s would fit without rubbing though so there would be more implications beyond just wheel and tire selection.
You'd need to pull the strut pins and max out the camber, but with any performance driving you should pretty much already be doing that on this car.

The key I think is proper offset. 47 seems about right and you'd gain roughly 18mm more poke with a wider tire. Inside clearance would be the same, but the fenders leave enough room on outside when I measured.

At the end of the day, if a 265 on a 9.5" with a 42mm or lower offset will fit, a 285 on a 10.5" with 47 will fit. Especially with shorter total diameter.

Screenshot_20240821_133953_Chrome.jpg

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have seen those.. its in a green color so negative $$ since i would have to get them stripped and powder coated.
Huh?

1724270673529-31.jpg

Where is green anywhere in this picture? These are a gloss bronze. "Dark Amber/Clear" to be exact...

Not green.
306284166_8064669923606491_1894606055336117393_n.jpg

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Huh?

1724270673529-31.jpg

Where is green anywhere in this picture? These are a gloss bronze. "Dark Amber/Clear" to be exact...

Not green.
306284166_8064669923606491_1894606055336117393_n.jpg
😂 Some reason i read emerald. I guess i picked up a slight tint and assumed the word.
That offset is kinda out there. I think they would poke out too far.
Sponsored

Last edited: