Sponsored

Type S vs CT4V Blackwing test drive review

Teggy24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS300
Although my only other thread to date is comparing the Type S to another car, I promise I actually like this car! Just think comparisons provide for some lively debate, and sounds like everyone has some time on their hands given supply chain constraints…

I only began looking at the BW because of the ludicrous ADMs floating around for the Type S (the first quote I received was 10k over MSRP, and the BW incidentally starts at 10k over the Type S).

I actually had the chance to test drive both last weekend back to back. The BW was a base $62k model, and it even sounded like the dealer might be willing to cut a deal on it below MSRP.

Although the test drives were vastly different (the BW drive was far shorter and I never really got to open it up), my thoughts were as follows:
- Integra got way more laughs out of me on the test drive (again, may be attributable to the better/longer route I was on)
- rev matching was better in the type s (even though I would probably turn off on whatever car I bought. But it is more convenient that BW has a dedicated button to quickly toggle on/off)
- transmission also felt better in the type s. Shorter throws, and there was a few times where I wasn’t sure if I was in gear in the BW (I always was, shifts just weren’t as clear/confidence inspiring)
-BW really felt like a luxury car when I wasn’t on throttle (still trying to decide if this is a pro or a con…)
-BW had a far nicer, purpose built interior.

The BW has gotten some pretty good press, so I’m curious to hear folks’ thoughts - does a $10k marked up Type S measure up to the BW? Or is the BW the exact type of use case that should illustrate to Acura dealers why their markups are nonsensical?
Sponsored

B-RapidK20

First Name
Sherm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GX460, 2022 Cayman GTS, 2022 Corolla hatch
I recently I saw a review on of the CT4 BW on the straight pipes and those guys think it’s the best car to buy at the moment. They even responded to my comment of Type S vs. CT4 BW and they insisted the better car was the CT4. Now I have to test drive it this weekend. Interesting that you say the interior on the BW is far nicer. It looks like the typical sub par GM interior. Maybe I’m wrong since I haven’t sat in the car yet. I am cross shopping the RS3 also but is equally hard to find if not harder then ITS.

Last edited:

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 RS3, 2023 Type R
Haven't driven the BW (but I want to!). My guess is it would be more fun to drive fast while the ITS might be more fun to drive slow? Even though I liked my test drive, there's no way I'd spend $10K over (or even $5K over) on the Integra.

OP
OP

Teggy24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS300
Haven't driven the BW (but I want to!). My guess is it would be more fun to drive fast while the ITS might be more fun to drive slow? Even though I liked my test drive, there's no way I'd spend $10K over (or even $5K over) on the Integra.
I think this is exactly right. And since I never hit highway speeds in my test drive of the BW, I don’t think I got to test its full fun potential. But since I’m looking for a daily driver (and to mostly stay out of trouble on the roads) I think the Type is is the better call for this reason.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Teggy24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS300
I recently I saw a review on of the CT4 BW on the straight pipes and those guys think it’s the best car to buy at the moment. They even responded to my comment of Type S vs. CT4 BW and they insisted the better car was the CT4. Now I have to test drive it this weekend. Interesting that you say the interior on the BW is far nicer. It looks like the typical sub par GM interior. Maybe I’m wrong since I haven’t sat in the car yet. I am cross shopping the RS3 also but is equally hard to find if not harder then ITS.
To expand on the interior point - one of my few critiques on the type is that the interior can feel somewhat cobbled together, and it’s civic roots can show through. I think the dash is nicer in the BW than the type S (I recall seeing in the general Integra forum a while back that the entire dash finish in the Integra is basically one large, texturized sticker). The center console in the BW appears to be genuine carbon fiber. You also have an option for a more purposeful steering wheel for the BW compared to the Type S’s somewhat nondescript wheel. Then there’s the memory seat function and power passenger seat in the BW as well. Seats are a matter of preference, so hard to call one better than the other (I thought the BW standard interior seats were fine). I’d be willing to bet the Type S wins on the sound system front, though

evanescent03

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z06; '24 PWP ITS
test drives are the only way to see what pulls at your heart strings. there is no one "best" car. the CT4 seems like a great car but nothing in particular about it gets me excited (looks, engine, engine note, interior) even though each of those things are good. enjoy the test drive though, that seems like a rare opportunity these days!

B-RapidK20

First Name
Sherm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BW probably better car. like my new M3 CS. i think ITS will be more laughs/fun though. i'm going for ITS. i'd do the same for you. i'd get a BW for the motor... but not the CT4.. only the CT5 imo
I have the same impression of the BW if I was going that route I would pay the extra and get the V8 CT5. I also missed the launch for the CT5 BW initial reservation. I called around and could not get one at the time. Now the base msrp has gone up just like everything else.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I just saw the SP video too. I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of their channel though. I'm not sure exactly what it is, they seem like great dudes but I disagree with them A LOT. Especially Yuri. It puzzles me why people put them on the same level as a channel like Savagegeese or Throttle House. Their reviews are basic and in some cases all over the place, where they'll contradict each other and previous takes they've made. They'll rave about a car one week, then talk shit about it in another video. They're very reactionary and subjective.

Yuri prefers the looks of the FK8 over the FL5. For example.

I still enjoy their channel but have stopped taking their opinions at face value. They're almost anti-technical. SP is the channel for casual enthusiasts I think.

Anyway, I really like the CT4/5 Blackwings. I just can't really consider them because they're GM products. I'll fully admit that's a biased assessment, but I've owned and experienced too many GM products that have just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I avoid them now. Simple as that.

But in a vacuum? The CT4 has a lot of things going for it. I love the way it looks and sounds. It's added to the extremely short list of new sedans available with a manual under $100k- the ITS and Golf R make up the rest of the list. The Type S does still look better, but not by much- but the one thing from the Straight Pipes vid that stuck with me was how that CT4 sounded. I still have yet to fully experience the front-drive magic of the Type S/Type R, but it's tough for me to think it will ever be preferable over RWD, so the CT4 wins there.

So really it just breaks down to which car "speaks to you" more. For me the Integra still wins hands down. But I wouldn't fault anyone who chose the CT4 BW.

All that said, there are still markups on the Blackwings too. There literally is not a worse dealer network than Chevy/GM. So pretty much universally it's the more expensive car. In that sense, it definitely isn't worth it to me, but again- I can understand why someone else would choose it over an Integra.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si sedan (now 2023 Ford Focus ST-Line X)
Although my only other thread to date is comparing the Type S to another car, I promise I actually like this car! Just think comparisons provide for some lively debate, and sounds like everyone has some time on their hands given supply chain constraints…

I only began looking at the BW because of the ludicrous ADMs floating around for the Type S (the first quote I received was 10k over MSRP, and the BW incidentally starts at 10k over the Type S).

I actually had the chance to test drive both last weekend back to back. The BW was a base $62k model, and it even sounded like the dealer might be willing to cut a deal on it below MSRP.

Although the test drives were vastly different (the BW drive was far shorter and I never really got to open it up), my thoughts were as follows:
- Integra got way more laughs out of me on the test drive (again, may be attributable to the better/longer route I was on)
- rev matching was better in the type s (even though I would probably turn off on whatever car I bought. But it is more convenient that BW has a dedicated button to quickly toggle on/off)
- transmission also felt better in the type s. Shorter throws, and there was a few times where I wasn’t sure if I was in gear in the BW (I always was, shifts just weren’t as clear/confidence inspiring)
-BW really felt like a luxury car when I wasn’t on throttle (still trying to decide if this is a pro or a con…)
-BW had a far nicer, purpose built interior.

The BW has gotten some pretty good press, so I’m curious to hear folks’ thoughts - does a $10k marked up Type S measure up to the BW? Or is the BW the exact type of use case that should illustrate to Acura dealers why their markups are nonsensical?
I have a thread for this already in the comparison forum. 😂

The Blackwings had huge markups too, when they were newer. You’ll be able to get an ITS at MSRP soon enough so the question is really “is the CT4V BW worth the extra $16k?”

Not really for me, it’s more of a backup in case ADMs stick around or I don’t like the ITS or the CTR (I haven’t even seen them up close).

Sponsored

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si sedan (now 2023 Ford Focus ST-Line X)
I just saw the SP video too. I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of their channel though. I'm not sure exactly what it is, they seem like great dudes but I disagree with them A LOT. Especially Yuri. It puzzles me why people put them on the same level as a channel like Savagegeese or Throttle House. Their reviews are basic and in some cases all over the place, where they'll contradict each other and previous takes they've made. They'll rave about a car one week, then talk shit about it in another video. They're very reactionary and subjective.

I still enjoy their channel but have stopped taking their opinions at face value. They're almost anti-technical. SP is the channel for casual enthusiasts I think.

Anyway, I really like the CT4/5 Blackwings. I just can't really consider them because they're GM products. I'll fully admit that's a biased assessment, but I've owned and experienced too many GM products that have just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I avoid them now. Simple as that.

But in a vacuum? The CT4 has a lot of things going for it. I love the way it looks and sounds. It's added to the extremely short list of new sedans available with a manual under $100k- the ITS and Golf R make up the rest of the list. The Type S does still look better, but not by much- but the one thing from the Straight Pipes vid that stuck with me was how that CT4 sounded. I still have yet to fully experience the front-drive magic of the Type S/Type R, but it's tough for me to think it will ever be preferable over RWD, so the CT4 wins there.

So really it just breaks down to which car "speaks to you" more. For me the Integra still wins hands down. But I wouldn't fault anyone who chose the CT4 BW.

All that said, there are still markups on the Blackwings too. There literally is not a worse dealer network than Chevy/GM. So pretty much universally it's the more expensive car. In that sense, it definitely isn't worth it to me, but again- I can understand why someone else would choose it over an Integra.
I don’t think anyone puts Straight Pipes on the level of SavageGeese. 😂 they’re fun but more clowns than serious reviewers.

But everyone loves the Blackwings, they’re not alone.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don’t think anyone puts Straight Pipes on the level of SavageGeese. 😂 they’re fun but more clowns than serious reviewers.

But everyone loves the Blackwings, they’re not alone.
I was talking more along the lines of volumes of subcribers, i.e., "top YouTube car channels". Straight Pipes is definitely up there, and I'm not real sure why... their content and production value is not anywhere on the same planet as Savagegeese... but they still got the followers.

The manufacturers do seem to love them, maybe that's part of it.

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
I pretty much agree with Teggy24 regarding his review of the CT4-V BW. Although, I didn’t experience any issues with the shifter and really like the Tremec in general (though the ITS does have the better shifter overall). The optional steering wheel is fantastic. I personally think the BW at MSRP (or below) is the performance sedan to own. For me, it checks ALL the boxes and was incredibly engaging to drive and is genuinely quick. Amazing car!

So, why am I not buying one?
Well, for one, my local dealer can’t guarantee me an 2024 allocation for a manual (I want a base car with only a couple options). My fiancée hates the rear legroom, RWD and doesn’t like the car (happy wife, happy life). And, I’m concerned about how it will age (quality of materials and electronics).

That said, if the Cadillac dealer called me tomorrow and said they can place my order….man, I’d go for it and work on convincing the lady.

Mike

B-RapidK20

First Name
Sherm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Definitely Savage geese over the straight pipes guys. I think their reviews are just vanilla and they seems to alway find little things to complain about and typical are never satisfied with anything and have a real bias towards their own brands or favorites. The CT4 BW is just something that came up recently in my YouTube feed and I thought wow finally these guys actually have a favorable review of a car.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Definitely Savage geese over the straight pipes guys. I think their reviews are just vanilla and they seems to alway find little things to complain about and typical are never satisfied with anything and have a real bias towards their own brands or favorites. The CT4 BW is just something that came up recently in my YouTube feed and I thought wow finally these guys actually have a favorable review of a car.
Well... they said the RS5 was "perfect". They said the Integra Type S was "perfect"... and now they say the CT4V BW is.... better than "perfect"?

Not a whole lot of science going on with those two, which is why I stand by my "channel for casual enthusiasts" take.
Sponsored