Sponsored

Type S Digital Gauge Cluster

Teggy24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS300
A fairly common nitpick I’ve seen in ITS reviews is the barebones approach Acura took with the digital gauge cluster. The gauge set up does not change at all in sport & sport+ modes, save a red outline around the gauges and a yellow needle.

This is definitely a step below what can be found in most modern sports cars of varying price points (e.g. brz/GR86, blackwing, Lexus, CTR, etc.). Understand omitting shift lights in the version that is meant to be more road-focused compared to the CTR, but some more creative gauge arrangements would have been appreciated (and I can’t imagine very expensive).

To that end, I was curious if anyone knows whether it is possible to:

1. Entirely change out the CTR dash into the ITS; or
2. Could Acura make software updates to the dash that could be implemented with a quick trip and the latest plug in at the dealership?

definitely still value the driving dynamics over cosmetic details like this, just seems like it was an easy place for Acura to add some more personality/differentiation to the car over its ASpec counterpart.
Sponsored

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Best case scenario would be a mid year model update that includes additional screens. Then you could buy the ECU that runs the dash.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
A fairly common nitpick I’ve seen in ITS reviews is the barebones approach Acura took with the digital gauge cluster. The gauge set up does not change at all in sport & sport+ modes, save a red outline around the gauges and a yellow needle.

This is definitely a step below what can be found in most modern sports cars of varying price points (e.g. brz/GR86, blackwing, Lexus, CTR, etc.). Understand omitting shift lights in the version that is meant to be more road-focused compared to the CTR, but some more creative gauge arrangements would have been appreciated (and I can’t imagine very expensive).

2. Could Acura make software updates to the dash that could be implemented with a quick trip and the latest plug in at the dealership?

definitely still value the driving dynamics over cosmetic details like this, just seems like it was an easy place for Acura to add some more personality/differentiation to the car over its ASpec counterpart.
The digital gauge is just software and UI graphics that is calibrated for the ITS. One could certainly update the graphics and upload it to our ITS. So yes it’s possible. Will we get it for free? Highly unlikely. Gotta pay or we’ll see it in the refreshed models 2-3 years from now

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Seeing how the TLX Type S instrument cluster is even more basic than the ITS, the ITS cluster is actually the better of the two lol. Just to put it in perspective, but completely agree the CTR cluster is the best cluster

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Seeing how the TLX Type S instrument cluster is even more basic than the ITS, the ITS cluster is actually the better of the two lol. Just to put it in perspective, but completely agree the CTR cluster is the best cluster
I actually like the analog physical needles on the TLX type s

Sponsored

Kamber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type-S & ‘22 BRZ Limited
Briefly tried playing with it tonight and didn’t see the option; is there a way to display oil temp via the cluster?

6-Speedio

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R
Acura really dropped the ball on the gauge cluster. In 2019 the Golf R was showing maps on its digital cluster which is a nice touch and was more customizable. That was 4 years ago. For a car that currently costs 3.5k USD more than a Golf R (comparing MSRP to MSRP) but doesn’t have the extra AWD feature the R has, it’s a big wtf (I’m quite alright with the ITS not having AWD… but the system adds dollars to any car no matter what)

Don’t get me wrong, the driving aspect of the ITS is much more enjoyable than an R, but German cars always cost a premium over Japanese rivals (for example CTR vs Golf R), yet the ITS flips that equation while still offering less.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Does the car have an oil temp sensor?
The FL5 displays an estimate temperature but doesn't have an actual sensor.
DE5 doesn't have anything like that

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Acura really dropped the ball on the gauge cluster. In 2019 the Golf R was showing maps on its digital cluster which is a nice touch and was more customizable. That was 4 years ago. For a car that currently costs 3.5k USD more than a Golf R (comparing MSRP to MSRP) but doesn’t have the extra AWD feature the R has, it’s a big wtf (I’m quite alright with the ITS not having AWD… but the system adds dollars to any car no matter what)

Don’t get me wrong, the driving aspect of the ITS is much more enjoyable than an R, but German cars always cost a premium over Japanese rivals (for example CTR vs Golf R), yet the ITS flips that equation while still offering less.
I hear you on this. When I first saw the ITS I was a little disappointed on the digital gauge cluster, didn’t quite like the font and style. I’ve gotten used to it and it’s not obnoxious nor is it an eye strain. The HUD is simple and nice. Since it’s far behind what golf R and other bmw clusters have, I would have preferred the analog gauge on the TLX type s, those look premium and has a classic feel to it.

Sponsored

slo_its

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS

I took really wanted to see more from Acura on this. If they won't give us the S2k style gauges, I'd have liked to see stuff like temperatures, and maybe Log R. That being said, Honda probably wants to keep them exclusive to the CTR.

Anyway, one small detail is that the yellow needle is actually from the old ITR. I'm not old enough to have owned one but I do appreciate that little detail, even if it is easy to program in software.

Hopefully, aftermarket can dump the firmware from CTR, sprinkle some ITR graphics and provide means to flash into our cars. I wouldn't want it to say CTR, but I'd love the features. If any sensors are missing, it should be possible to add them.

I did a quick search and found this: http://www.autohack.org/

Our car is still new. But possibilities are endless. I think we just have to be patient. Unless you happen to be a software/hardware engineer and just want to solve this problem ASAP. Lol

6-Speedio

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R
I hear you on this. When I first saw the ITS I was a little disappointed on the digital gauge cluster, didn’t quite like the font and style. I’ve gotten used to it and it’s not obnoxious nor is it an eye strain. The HUD is simple and nice. Since it’s far behind what golf R and other bmw clusters have, I would have preferred the analog gauge on the TLX type s, those look premium and has a classic feel to it.
I have to agree with you. Because the digital gauges don't have many features, I too would prefer to have analog gauges. It probably boils down to being a cost savings initiative and that's about it. Analogue is more complex than digital and likely costs more to build.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
I have to agree with you. Because the digital gauges don't have many features, I too would prefer to have analog gauges. It probably boils down to being a cost savings initiative and that's about it. Analogue is more complex than digital and likely costs more to build.
I would have thought analog is much more simple to do. Acura could have ported the analog gauges from the TLX-S or mixture from NSX-S.

2595D98F-6A38-4E7A-8542-4026719DC2F3.jpeg
33252810-EE26-4A3A-90DC-51844D811AF3.jpeg

B7B16D9D-F2CD-44BE-A259-9410038E511E.jpeg

all of these are so much better than what we got lol.
Sponsored