Homelink Alternatives

ghostkp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT
Wasn’t much work at all. Took about 30 min and less chance of breaking trim pieces removing panels. Plus saves about 40 bucks on the harness. But at least there are multiple ways to do it based on what each individual wants to do. :)
Precisely! Freedom of choice is always the best.
Sponsored

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
So far my Homelink alternative has been using my garage door opener. With the Homelink you have to push a button and my garage door opener also requires pushing a button. I just wish my garage door knew when I wanted it opened or closed and could do it automatically instead of having to push any buttons. I think the frustration is misdirected at automakers rather than the garage door opener industry. Just make the openers more smarter and we'd all be happier.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A spec tech package 6 MT
Wasn’t much work at all. Took about 30 min and less chance of breaking trim pieces removing panels. Plus saves about 40 bucks on the harness. But at least there are multiple ways to do it based on what each individual wants to do. :)
The only hard part about removing the A trim pillar is concern over breaking the clip. This is easily remedied by buying a replacement ahead of time ($5), with that in hand, you can just rip off the trim without concern, and I'd say running the harness would take less than 15 minutes. Otherwise, no panels need to be removed. A few zip ties and easy peasy.

jchall30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
The only hard part about removing the A trim pillar is concern over breaking the clip. This is easily remedied by buying a replacement ahead of time ($5), with that in hand, you can just rip off the trim without concern, and I'd say running the harness would take less than 15 minutes. Otherwise, no panels need to be removed. A few zip ties and easy peasy.
Good deal. I was more comfortable with the wiring I guess. As I said glad it can work either way for people that wanna do it

winemaker

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mazda CX5 (kids' beater car), 1955 T-bird
So far my Homelink alternative has been using my garage door opener. With the Homelink you have to push a button and my garage door opener also requires pushing a button. I just wish my garage door knew when I wanted it opened or closed and could do it automatically instead of having to push any buttons. I think the frustration is misdirected at automakers rather than the garage door opener industry. Just make the openers more smarter and we'd all be happier.
That's my solution also, but I don't really like it. The problem with it is the garage door opener is a clipped on, portable device for gaining access to your garage and maybe your house (depending on how often you lock the door between the two). I don't know about you, but I have a lot of things in my garage that cost a lot of money that I don't want stolen. All somebody needs is to know where you live and access to the portable house access device. Not that hard to do.

Sponsored

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
That's my solution also, but I don't really like it. The problem with it is the garage door opener is a clipped on, portable device for gaining access to your garage and maybe your house (depending on how often you lock the door between the two). I don't know about you, but I have a lot of things in my garage that cost a lot of money that I don't want stolen. All somebody needs is to know where you live and access to the portable house access device. Not that hard to do.
If you're that paranoid I hope you have a flip phone.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Yeah, I'm paranoid. Nobody's ever had their car broken into and then been burglarized. ;)
I agree. I've had losers try to break into an old place of mine before. Fortunately, they left before they got killed. Once you become a security/self defense freak, it's not something you can just turn off or unlearn. I still think about these things even though my house is hard to find. Stuff still happens in those places!

winemaker

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mazda CX5 (kids' beater car), 1955 T-bird
I agree. I've had losers try to break into an old place of mine before. Fortunately, they left before they got killed. Once you become a security/self defense freak, it's not something you can just turn off or unlearn. I still think about these things even though my house is hard to find. Stuff still happens in those places!
Twice I’ve come face to face with burglars in my home in two different countries (including the US). Paranoia can be a product of your environment/experiences. Some paranoia can save your life.

Sponsored

VTEC4ME

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra 6MT
A nice video tutorial. Frameless mirror from the Accord, using a harness.
Did the install today. Wasn't too bad. Mirror shroud was a PITA. I ended up using the grounding point as all the other ground wires.....another PITA. The video was definitely helpful and put me at ease.

ghostkp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT
Jesus, paranoid? More like aware. I'm "paranoid", and the only reason I wanted homelink was so that I didn't have this ugly an brick clipped to my visor on my 52k dollar car. If that's so bad, then maybe I'm too young for this car. It's also why I bought a MyQ garage door opener as well as my mirror. That thing tells me every time my garage is opened on my phone.

Last time I was fully comfortable in my environment, and bald mf came out the bushes and jumped on the hood of my aspec. If us paying attention and considering possibilities/dangerous scenarios in the menial aspects of life can prevent that and worse shit, like our garage being burglarized... then I'm all for it.

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
From a safety perspective I'm not understanding how a portable garage door opener in the car is a risk. My car lives in the garage. When it's out in public someone would have to break a window or steal the entire car to get access to the device. Then in addition to that they'd have to know the address where I live. If someone can run license plates, which are public info, and really wants to get into our house then so be it. A Homelink at that point is no different than the portable device. The chances of that are on par with a plane crash given how dumb criminals are 99% of the time.

Compromise

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
Just installed the Accord mirror with the harness. Overall wasn't bad, but I've done this for multiple cars so I'm familiar. I would rate it 4.5/10 for difficulty. Was a bit harder for me since I have the FitcamX installed and the cables got in the way. Definitely worth. One small difference is that the Accord mirror sits higher than the OE mirror, so the bottom of the base is a lot more visible now.
1695530718528.png

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI
Just installed the Accord mirror with the harness. Overall wasn't bad, but I've done this for multiple cars so I'm familiar. I would rate it 4.5/10 for difficulty. Was a bit harder for me since I have the FitcamX installed and the cables got in the way. Definitely worth. One small difference is that the Accord mirror sits higher than the OE mirror, so the bottom of the base is a lot more visible now.
1695530718528.png
Nice! How does the wiring of the Fitcam work with the new harness connector of the Accord mirror?
Sponsored